What was the last movie you saw?

The other day we decided to watch all the X-Men films chronologically (we've already done the Avengers movies). So we started with X-Men First Class. Tonight we continued with Days of Future Past followed by Origins:Wolverine

The Predator. The latest instalment of the Predator franchise and the worst one by far. No discernible plot. No tension. No fun. Terrible from start to finish. :poop:
I'm not saying it is a good film [it really isn't] but there are deleted scenes that actually make the film make a little more sense. Since it wasn't Avengers: Endgame long I can't see why they trimmed out scenes to make the film worse. BTW I did like "The Dog", it didn't really make sense, but I did like it...

I watch Rocknrolla last night with the missus. Surprisingly good fun.

The Invisible Man the 2020 version, which was brilliant. The Hunt which was also quite good, felt like a toned down version of Cabin in the Woods without the monsters, written by some guys who produced Lost

Body Cam. A supernatural thriller starring Mary J. Blige.

Enjoyable enough, but not really my kind of film.

Doctor Sleep (2019) dir. Mike Flanagan, starring Ewan MacGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran

Rather better than I expected, incorporating scenes as flashbacks from Kubrick's The Shining. Danny has grown up, needs to pass forward the mentoring Dick Hallorann gave him, and also has to face the terrors that directed his teen and adult life. But, of course, there are other dangers and he is challenged by how far he will go to protect her. A crop of recognizable character actors, strong performances by McGregor and Ferguson, and young Curran still pretty much steals the movie. We're about 10 years from Hailee Steinfeld's debut, and Curran looks to be the new kid in town.

Randy M.

The Italian Job (2003) d: Gary Gray, S: Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Ed Norton

Remake/Continuation of the 1969 film. And where the original was totally fresh for its time, the 2003 remake suffers from too many action movie cliches. Nevertheless, the acting is good throughout as well as the cinematography. Still a fun movie to watch.

Trouble with the Curve 2012 - Clint Eastwood makes for a convincing aging baseball scout. Dunno how I missed this one. Can Clint keep his job - IS he right that the highly-touted prospect can't hit the curve, and the Braves shouldn't draft him first overall? Well, probably he is, because he's Clint. Good baseball movie.

68313220-01C2-40CA-B33D-A4D42EEEFE57.jpeg

Superior John Ford western about a wagon train of Mormons heading for their promised land picking up unlikely and unsavory characters along the way. Joanne Dru has never been hotter and James Arness slimier and creepier than Jack Palance in Shane.

Not The Usual Spy Films Double Feature:

The Quiller Memorandum (1966)

George Segal is Quiller, an American secret agent who is, oddly, working for the British in Berlin after doing something or other in the Middle East. (In the Quiller novels he's British.) It seems that two British agents were killed while investigating a neo-Nazi organization. Quiller follows the few leads he has, meets our movie's pseudo-Bond Girl (Senta Berger), gets captured by the Bad Guys (led by Max von Sydow) and drugged, and is tossed out when he doesn't reveal any vital information. It seems the Bad Guys want to know where the Good Guys' headquarters is located as much as the Good Guys want to know theirs, and Quiller is caught in the middle. The Bad Guys capture Quiller (again!) and Berger, let him go but tail him, and threaten to kill both of them if they don't get the info. He manages to evade the Bad Guys in the movie's only explosive scene. Then there's an ambiguous twist ending. Ambiguous is appropriate, because the screenplay is by the infamously elliptical playwright Harold Pinter, so there's a lot of low-key dialogue. Segal is an odd choice for the role; he seems only minimally interested in what's going on. The whole thing doesn't fit well into either the James Bond/comic book fantasy spy genre, or the gritty/realistic school of espionage fiction.

The Tamarind Seed (1974)

Combination of romantic love story and cynical spy story. Julie Andrews stars in this film written and directed by husband Blake Edwards. She's a widow whose husband, whom she stopped loving some time ago, died in a car wreck a few years back. (We get several flashbacks to the accident, a classic car-going-over-cliff-and-exploding scene.) She had an affair with a married man that ended badly. Omar Sharif is a Soviet military attache. They meet in Barbados, and romance blossoms. Since Andrews works for somebody in British intelligence, it seems likely that Sharif wants to seduce her into betraying her country. His bosses want him to, anyway, and her bosses assume that's what he's doing. Complicating matters is the fact that the Soviets have somebody in British intelligence working for them already. Eventually we get our big action scene, during the last ten minutes of the film. At more than two hours, it moves at a leisure