What was the last movie you saw?

Watched Tag last night on Netflix.

Based on a true life tale about a group of friends who have kept a game of tag going from childhood into adulthood.

I'm not normally one for heart warming tales but this made me wish to have been part of this group. Such a brilliant way of keeping in touch and having fun with your friends. Well worth a watch and has some genuine laugh out loud slapstick moments.

1408, which I really enjoyed, having only seen it once before as a teen. I didn't like the straw man atheist ideas, though.

The Bourne Ultimatum. A cracking modern day thriller, it keeps up the suspense right to the end. My favourite scene is the Waterloo sequence, which apparently was done with handheld cameras in a real crowd at the station. Watch it for yourself and you'll see some of the best camerawork ever. And the sequence music track is brilliant. The composer is John Powell. 9.5/10.

All three Bournes are terrific. The car chase at the end of Supremacy is brilliant.

THE DEVIL WITHIN HER (1975) misnamed, because the devil was in her baby. Other than that, a good horror film. An ex-stripper marries & has a son. Titled I Don't Want to Be Born in the UK.

Both of the next two were shot in post WWII Japan. Interesting stuff Ben M said, both before & after.

TOKYO JOE (1949) Joe Barrett (Humphrey Bogart) ex-WWII pilot, had been living in Tokyo before the war, and returned after, hoping to pick up the pieces and resume his prewar life. He had been running a bar with a partner, but, upon returning found the American occupation forces would only grant him a 60 day permit to stay. Moreover, there is his wife who had stayed in Japan, and married another man. They have a daughter, just old enough to be Joe's, but he thinks the other guy is the dad. He wants to get his wife back, but that is just one plot element. He needs a job, and being a pilot is his occupation. Baron Kimura (Sessue Hayakawa) hires him to fly cargo, but Joe knows there is something off, about it. There must be smuggling involved, but what?

HOUSE OF BAMBOO (1955) I forgot much of the detail, but a US Army train is robbed of several heavy machine guns and smoke bombs. An Army Sgt. (Robert Stack) takes the place of Eddie Spanier, who had been named by a dying crook, who was involved in the theft. Spanier comforts the dead crook's wife, and becomes a bit more intimate with her, than he had expected. The Army falsifies a criminal record and doctors a photo, so he can infiltrate the gang that Sandy Dawson (Robert Ryan) runs. I know this is a terrible review! ;)

Charlie (DeForest Kelley; what!? in a non-cowboy film?) has a fairly good role, as one of Ryan's mobsters. Cameron Mitchell is the crime Boss' Ichiban (The #1 henchman) . Sessue Hayakawa, who was also in Tokyo Joe, is a police inspector here.

One of the interesting points of this film, according to Ben M., was that Sam Fuller, who directed it, used several unauthorized shots (with filming permits) of Tokyo street life, thus giving a better look at the city than would otherwise have been possible. A very good film, very intense.

SHERLOCK JR (1924) Buster Keaton runs the projector in a small town movie theater, but he really wants to be a lumberjack. No, he wants to be a private detective. This thing is very funny.

THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER (1932) Elmer Tuttle (Buster Keaton) is called to the mansion to repair the shower in the young lady's bathroom, but just about everything other than that occurs.
Julius J. McCracken (Jimmy Durante) is the family chauffeur, and he & Keaton create some really funny scenes.

The young lady, Patricia Alden (Irene Purcell) is in love with two-timer Tony Lagorce (Gilbert Roland), who is constantly telling her that his wife will not give him the divorce he seeks. But he is telling the other woman, the same thing. The young lady decides to use Tuttle to make her boyfriend jealous.

YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW (1941) Homer Smith (Jimmy Durante) & Breezy Jones (Phil Silvers), are pushy vacuum cleaner salesmen. After a few failed attempts, the two try selling in an Army Recruitment office, & end up, enlisting. I have seen this before, but it was still fresh. Must have been several year ago. Their failed attempts to sell vacuum cleaners may have been inspiration for an episode of :LOL::giggle:, which, somehow, I recall.

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) D: Susanna Fogal, S: Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon

Spy comedy that takes a poking at the super-spy genre. Mila Kunis plays mostly straight to Kate McKinnon's over-the-top romps. Probably the craziest bit involves the 98 pound Eastern European ex-gymnast who goes from runway model to programmed killer. She's so crazy looking and deadly serious that it works. I don't know where they found her, but a bunch of other spy flicks missed out on this uber-assassin.

Gold (2016) D: Stephen Gaghan S: Matthew McConaughey, Edgar Ramirez

Dramatized account of the 1994 Bre-X gold shares scam. McConaughey is a hard luck but heavy hitting confidence man who works over investors into putting up money for a sure-thing gold strike in Borneo. Things turn south when the money runs out, so McConaughey resorts to salting the core samples and reporting the finds to his investors. Then gold fever strikes the investing community, huge money pours in, and things really get out of control. Of course, the scheme can't go on forever.

Sigh! I don't know if this counts as a "movie" but I was steaming Poldark for the past few weeks (on and off obviously) and I thought it was wonderful in Season 1. A little too "romantic" for my tastes, but I loved the struggle against the aristocracy, the marrying of the "scullery maid," bringing an estate back to life, and standing by your commitments. But from there what I loved about the series was downplayed and what I wasn't very fond of was emphasized. When Demelza "falls" I was terribly disappointed and when still another person of character refuses to stand by his commitments in the middle of season 4. I shut it off with no intention of returning. It seemed to me that by the end it was nothing more than an 18th century version of Dallas and that is no kind comparison if I am making it. It seemed to me that the moral of the series, at least as far as I watched it, was "Don't blink, something horrible is about to happen and there will be no redeeming it." This is no way to live, and particularly antithetical to my life view.

Artemis Fowl.

It wasn't aimed at me and I think I was too old to appreciate it.

The Truman Show. Saw this at the cinema when it first came out. Don't think I've watched it since. Popped up on Netflix so we put it on. Great film, really, but Truman would have severe PTSD coming out of there. Also, I don't buy that his best-mate-since-they-were-seven could've geniunely kept the secret, especially not as a seven year old. Also, to have been friends with someone since they were kids and not give two stuffs about them ultimately? No, don't buy it. And the dad thing kinda got brushed under the carpet - his dad cared enough to break back in, yet nothing else really comes of it.

Mac and Me. A truly bizzare clone of E.T. Of course, I was watching the Mystery Science Theater 3000 roast of it...

The Booksellers (2019)
A documentary about the seventy odd rare book dealers left in NYC. I thought this would be a yawn but was riveted by a story of these book dealers who truly loved fine books. I absolutely loved this doco and would recommend it to anyone who loves books.

I watched Deer Hunter for the first time for my podcast. It's an epic film with great performances but I didn't enjoy it as much as my friends.

I wonder what other people think of it. I love the reality of the town scenes, but compared to other Vietnam media the war stuff seemed a bit too Lynchian and surreal. Maybe that was the point to show how unprepared the guys are for the experience, but I wasn't convinced.

Maybe on a rewatch someday I will see if I come round to it.

Personally, Sparrow, it's one of my favorite films of all time. Three young men go off to war, as you say unprepared, only two return and they are both damaged physically and mentally. I hope you see it again and gain more from it. Hint. try not to over think it.

New Rose Hotel (1998). Abel Ferrara's adaptation of William Gibson's 1984 short story of the same name. This is a film that could have been a hard-hitting cyberpunk noir style fest, but was reduced to a plodding melodramatic broken romance instead. If you're a diehard cyberpunk fan like myself then watch it, once. Otherwise, your time is better spent elsewhere.