What was the last movie you saw?

Divergent - Took me quite a while before I could tell five of the white guys apart.

Clearly not a movie for me then. I have the devil's own time remembering characters in any video. I often have to ask my wife is s/he the one who ..... ?

Kiss Kiss . . . Kill Kill (Kommissar X - Jagd auf Unbekannt AKA 12 donne d'oro, 1966)

West German/Italian co-production, filmed in Yugoslavia. Eurospy flick, although, technically, there are no secret agents to be found. Instead, the movie features the world's most expensive private detective and a police captain. The former gets his own theme song -- "I Love You, Joe Walker" -- which offers a hint that his main superpower is the fact that women find him irresistible. Evidence: As soon as he meets the movie's Good Girl, he kisses her, and she gives him her car. Further evidence: As soon as he kisses the movie's Bad Girl, she immediately turns into a Good Girl and helps him overthrow the supervillain. The plot involves a huge stash of gold hidden in the supervillain's lair, located underground in an island. As many critics have said, the whole thing is basically mixes a bit of Dr. No with a bit of Goldfinger. Notable for the supervillain's army of brainwashed female soldiers, each wearing the same yellow wig and the same midriff-bearing black leather outfit. Speaking of wigs, you've never seen so many women wearing purple wigs as in this thing. Some are very pale violet, some are blazing bright purple. It's a more entertaining than usual example of the genre.

Death is Nimble, Death is Quick (Kommissar X - Drei gelbe Katzen AKA Operazione 3 gatti gialli, 1966)

Second in the series. The attempted kidnapping of a rich guy's daughter in Sri Lanka (Ceylon at the time) and the associated killing of a British agent leads to our two heroes arriving on the scene. The private detective, to guard the daughter from future attempts; the police captain, because he's a karate expert and the victim was killed with a single karate blow. The plot slows down in the middle, and is always difficult to follow, but it has something to do with a world-threatening bacteria. Best action scenes are a rooftop chase and a big karate fight in an ancient stone temple. Both involve the karate killer and the police captain, so our playboy detective has less to do. Nice scenery, including a spooky lake full of dead trees where the supervillain has his hideout.

So Darling, So Deadly (Kommissar X - In den Klauen des goldenen Drachen AKA Agente Jo Walker operazione Estremo Oriente, 1966)

Third in the series. Our heroes wind up in Singapore, trying to protect a scientist who has invented a "filter" that transforms a laser in a ray that will stop an airplane engine at a range of 300 miles. First part of the film is mostly a whole bunch of bad guys trying to kill our heroes. When the plot finally gets going, the bad guys kidnap the scientist's daughter. Pretty standard stuff, except for the fact that the leader of the bad guys, calling himself the Golden Dragon, wears a red hood over his head, as if he's in an old Republic serial or a krimi.

Clearly not a movie for me then. I have the devil's own time remembering characters in any video. I often have to ask my wife is s/he the one who ..... ?
Is there a chance you have prosopagnosia? It was a revelation to me when I found out this was a thing, and I think I may have a mild form of it. Often, I don't recognise people out of context. So if I see a work colleague outside of the office (even on lunch break), I often don't recognise them. People changing their hairstyle or wearing sunglasses can look like a completely different person. I've even been known to completely 'ignore' family members and mistake one for the other (which was pretty embarrassing).

Back on topic, I wouldn't recommend any films I've seen recently.

The Queen of Hearts (2009)
"Adele's attempt to recover from a devastating breakup leads to surprisingly hilarious results as she bounces from one lover to the next."
The Queen of Hearts started well, even though I thought it was trying too hard to capture the quirkiness of Amelie. It wasn't hilarious either, more just a passable watch.

Under the Silver Lake (2018)
A crime thriller set in Hollywood had potential, but Under the Silver Lake was trying too hard to be like Hitchcock crossed with Lynch, and mostly failed on both counts. The unlikeable protagonist didn't help though. An okay watch, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Passage (2011)
Three people; a criminal, woman dying of cancer and some other guy end up taking a road trip together. An okay film.

Madeline's Madeline (2018)
"A theatre director's latest project takes on a life of its own when her young star takes her performance too seriously."
I kept waiting for that to happen. A story that was clearly about mental illness with unlikable characters trying to take advantage of Madeline. The actress playing Madeline was outstanding, and the film was very visually appealing at times, but this might be the first time I've called a film pretentious. I just didn't get the point in it at all. The weirdness was interesting for a while but it just became boring.

This Beautiful Fantastic [2016] - So sugary and sweet and twee it should come with a health warning. There is nothing wrong with it, if you ignore the impossible setups, unlikely [but very likeable] characters and all too neat and tidy plot. Even the big reveal/twist was limp and lifeless.
But still acceptable froth in my current mental state.

. The former gets his own theme song -- "I Love You, Joe Walker" -- which offers a hint that his main superpower is the fact that women find him irresistible. Evidence: As soon as he meets the movie's Good Girl, he kisses her, and she gives him her car. Further evidence: As soon as he kisses the movie's Bad Girl, she immediately turns into a Good Girl and helps him overthrow the supervillain.
So.... true to life then? ;)

Is there a chance you have prosopagnosia?

Reading through the description, I doubt it; or if I do it's very mild. I don't have trouble with good friends, known relatives and the like. It is movies/videos that really haunt me in this regard. Now if there's some diagnosis for not remembering someone's name whom I've met before and I know that I know them but not their name; I definitely have that.

Is there a chance you have prosopagnosia? It was a revelation to me when I found out this was a thing, and I think I may have a mild form of it. Often, I don't recognise people out of context. So if I see a work colleague outside of the office (even on lunch break), I often don't recognise them. People changing their hairstyle or wearing sunglasses can look like a completely different person. I've even been known to completely 'ignore' family members and mistake one for the other (which was pretty embarrassing).
:eek: I occasionally fail to recognize people who are not where I usually see them!

Gator (1976) Picking up, where White Lightning
left off. This time, Gator (Burt Reynolds) is coerced into infiltrating his old buddy Bama McCall (Jerry Reed)'s organization, and getting the evidence to shut it down. It is mostly a protection racket. Similar plot to BR's other films of the time.

Siren of the Tropics (1927) A middle-aged man wants to divorce his wife, and marry the young thing that his also young engineer wants to marry. But, he must rid himself of this guy, so, he sends him to the tropics, to supposedly look for oil or whatever. There, the guy meets Papitou (Josephine Baker), a native girl who falls in love with him. But his affection belongs to the woman his boss intends for himself.

Fatty and Mabel Adrift (1916)
Two young men compete for Mabel's affection; Fatty wins, but the loser is not content with losing. So, he goes to the local gangster Brutus Bombastic (Wayland Trask), to hire him to get the girl. BB, in his opening scene, is chewing on dynamite as though he were eating carrots, and drinking gasoline. This guy is tough!

Anyway, the beachfront house (shack) where Fatty & Mabel are living, is swept out to sea.

Madam Satan (1930) The spark has gone out of the marriage of Bob Brooks (Reginald Denny) & his wife Angela (Kay Johnson), and Bob has been going out with Trixie (Lillian Roth), lately. His wife demands fidelity from him, but he flatly says married life will soon end. So, she determines to win her husband's affection from Trixie.

A rather funny film, though it failed in theaters. Roland Young portrays Jimmy Wade, Bob's best friend. These people are fabulously rich, & Jimmy has a costume party aboard a Zeppelin that is moored to the top of a skyscraper. There, Madam Satan struts her stuff, dances far better than Trixie, who came to the party as Bob's companion.

Beach Ball (1965)

Lame rip-off of the Frankie and Annette beach movies. Edd "Kookie" Byrnes stars as the leader of a surf band called the Wigglers. (The drummer is named "Bango," in what must be a dig at the Beatles.) They need to raise one thousand bucks or lose their instruments. Byrnes cons a college co-ed who, apparently, controls grants for the university, into giving him the money for his studies. She finds out he's not even a student, so tears up the check. For some odd reason, this causes her and her three equally nerdy friends to take off their glasses, trade their modest dresses for bikinis, and become part of the Wigglers' beach party culture. Complications cause the Wigglers to perform at a "battle of the bands" contest in drag. There's a cool bubble-topped car, a bunch of really lousy comedy, and, amazingly, a lot of famous musical acts. The Four Seasons, the Righteous Brothers, and the Supremes, among others.

Mad Youth (1939)

More entertaining than usual low budget exploitation flick. Starts with a divorced mother hiring a gigolo to go to a bridge party. Since Mom's alimony is used up, she has to borrow some cash from her daughter. In exchange, she lets the teenager have a party at their house. This leads to alternating scenes of the bridge party, with drinking and suggestive dialogue, and scenes of the teen party, with drinking, jitterbugging, and strip poker. The gigolo eventually winds up courting the daughter. Meanwhile, the daughter's friend leaves the grandmother who raises her, after she's threatened with leaving the city for a boring life down on the farm. She goes off to marry some guy with whom she's corresponded through a lonely hearts club. This turns out to be a scam, and she's forced to work in a brothel. The daughter goes off to visit her, is trapped also, and it's up to the gigolo to turn into an action hero and rescue them. The story is interrupted for some guy singing at the bridge party, a young woman in full majorette costume doing a tap dancing and baton twirling act at the teen party, a long scene at a Mexican restaurant/nightclub including a clown in a matador suit pretending to fight a dog wearing bull horns, a scene of the gigolo and daughter visiting a carnival sideshow, and so on. Despite all this filler, the plot is pretty involved, and moves along briskly. There's some amusing dialogue.

Girl making out with boy: Watch where you put your hands!
Boy: Getting prudish?
Girl: No, sunburn.

Woman at bridge party: It must be lonely to be a lifelong bachelor.
Man: If it was good enough for my father, it was good enough for me.

With racy talk, mature themes, and slinky lingerie on display, this seems like it should have been made before the Hays Code, and must have been for Adults Only.

Funeral Home AKA Cries in the Night (1980)

Canadian slasher that owes a lot to a very famous film made two decades earlier. Teenager arrives at the former funeral parlor, now a tourist home, run by her grandmother, whose husband vanished some time ago. There are quite a few guests, which is odd, since we're told this is a very small town. Two of them are a philandering couple, only there because there are no more hotel rooms available in town. Another turns out to be trying to find out what happened to his wife, suspecting that she and grandmother's husband ran off together. You can put the three I've mentioned on the pretty small list of victims. (Before the film begins, we're told, there have been quite a few missing persons cases -- real estate agents, traveling salesmen, and the like -- for such a tiny community.) Our heroine hears grandmother talking to somebody in the cellar, which she denies, but also warns her that she should never, ever go in there. There's the heroine's boyfriend, a mentally slow handyman, a young cop investigating the disappearances, and a black cat that shows up a lot. It's very nicely filmed, with some effective scenes, but extremely slow. It also has the most predictable, and least original, twist ending you've ever seen.

Peanut Butter Falcon. Shia LeBeouf is actually pretty good. Nice 'feel good' film.

Drugsploitation Through The Decades Triple Feature:

Narcotic (1933)

Incoherent account of the fall of the protagonist from respected doctor to carnival pitchman for snake oil. It seems a fellow medical student, who happened to be Chinese (played by a non-Asian actor, in terrible makeup and fortune cookie accent), introduced him to opium smoking. From there he progressed to marijuana, heroin, and death. Time jumps forward a lot in confusing fashion. Lots of silent stock footage used, with badly matching sound effects added in later. Notable for the scene of a "drug party," in which folks in formal dress help themselves to whatever they like, like a buffet.

The Devil's Sleep (1949)

Female judge wants to crack down on the crimes committed by young folks on the behalf of whoever is supplying them with pills. It turns out to be a guy who is also running a weight reduction salon for women, where he gives the clients uppers as reducing aids. Complications ensue when the judge's daughter attends a wild party and is photographed emerging from a swimming pool with only a towel. Slow and talky.

The Narcotics Story (1958)

Actually, this was a police training film, somehow released to an unsuspecting public as an exploitation film. The minimal plot shows a neglected teenager going from "goofballs" to marijuana to heroin. Along the way, we get lots of advice on how cops should deal with drug users. (The oddest tip: After you handcuff a guy you arrested in a car, you should open the car door, roll down the window, and have the guy stand with his head through it. Somehow this is supposed to restrain him while you deal with the other offenders present, although I really don't see how. All the guy has to do is back up, keeping his head down, to get out.)

Alone In Berlines (2016) - Normally I'll watch anything with Brendan Gleeson, but when he's in one of my favourite books as well...

1940 Germany, and a couple's son her is killed in the battle for France despite to fight back...by leaving postcards critical to the Nazi regime in public places. Ok, it's not quite up to the standards of Hans Fallada's book, that low level of paranoia of simply existing under the Nazi regime, but it comes pretty bloody close.

It's worth picking up the book simply because it is based on true events and has details of the almost panic amgonst the Gestapo at this simple act of resistance.

Mad Max 2. Continuing on from the first film the world has degenerated to bands of bandits and savages scavenging fuel to keep their war vehicles running. I still love this film. The vehicles are works of violent art and you can't help but feel a profound sense of loss when Max's GT Falcon goes up in flames. Even though the world has turned to crap there is an underlying sense of hope to the film.

On a side note, I learned a little history about Mad Max as there was an introduction to the film by Leonard Maltin. I never knew that the first film wasn't well-received in America, that it had been dubbed to get rid of the Aussi accents and that Mad Max didn't get any traction in the US until this second film was released.
"Mad Max" was so poorly received here that it's sequel was billed simply as "The Road Warrior," with no mention that it was a sequel. When "Beyond Thunderdome" hit, most here in the states, myself included, thought it was the second in the series, not the third.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got around to "Rise of Skywalker," and it did not disappoint. Just like episodes 7 (4.1) and 8 (5.1), 9 was just a bad carbon copy of an earlier film, so it's 6.1.

Disney, please stop. Star Wars should have been left for dead, but for your greed. Please move on to something else now, perhaps something original. While it will still be just Disney flinging crap at the wall in hopes some will stick, at least it'll be fresh crap, not more recycled crap.

Hanger 18 [1980] A surprisingly engaging UFO coverup movie, set in the background of a presidential election. Is it an alien craft? Why is it here? where did it come from? It pulls some elements from Close Encounters, but is none the worse for that. The special effects are competent and effective for a low budget film. They don't try to do too much with too little. The acting is more 70s TV than anything else but good enough. There are even some little touches that make it interesting.

Finally got round to watching Spectre
Nothing to write home about, just another action flick. And it just seemed like no-one knew who this Blofeld person was, or about SPECTRE itself. And then near the end we see Blofeld with a scar on his face, just as he did in a much earlier Bond film. Was it supposed to be a prequel to that earlier film?
It just didn't gel for me.
Forgettable.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947) The title seemed familiar, but the film did not. If it had not been on NOIR ALLEY, I would likely have skipped it, thinking I had already seen it.
Michael O'Hara (Orson Welles), is a sailor-type, who is asked to join the crew of a yacht. A Femme Fatale Elsa (Rita Hayworth), is married to a crippled defense attorney Arthur Bannister (Everett Sloane), who knows of his wife's interest in O'Hara, but jokes about it. The rich elite passengers are rather annoying to their employees, and the 1st 45 minutes seemed like little more than scraps that Welles had cobbled together, just to lengthen it to a full-sized feature film.

So, one of the rich guys, George Grisby (Glenn Anders) asks O'Hara to take part in a fraudulent murder of himself, as he plans on going to a south seas island, leaving the world and his loathsome to suppose he had been murdered, and his corpse carried to sea by the tide. Without a body, O'Hara, though he had signed a written confession, could not be convicted of murder. OHara walks away with a hefty fee, the other guy is in the South seas, etc. Everybody Wins! But it was a setup to frame O'Hara for a real murder. Grisby has never been married.

It turns out, that Grisby wanted to murder Sloane, marry his widow, & have O'Hara go to the Gas chamber. I need to take another look at that written confession, because, to me, a confession for murdering Grisby, does not help much if Grisby murders Sloane! o_O I must have missed something.
Anyway, quite a ride, this film! Very well done!

Kill the Umpire 1950 - our MC is a baseball nut, he keeps losing his job for skipping work to go to the ballpark. Obviously, he needs to become an Umpire. This is stooge-like fun, and eventually a mob forms after our umpire makes a controversial call during which the catcher is knocked out cold. He recovers in hospital and tells the world that he dropped the ball, so our Ump is forgiven, is in fact now beloved by the crowd, and he is allowed to continue umping the big playoff game. Of course, his first call after that has the crowd screaming 'Kill the Ump!' and wacky 3-Stooges music plays and it's the end. Good sight gags, kinda fun.

Daring Young Man (1942) Jonathan Peckinpaw (Joe E. Brown) is rejected by the Air Corps, The Marines, the Navy, and the Army. He is a failure. He ends up being duped into becoming a pro bowler by con man Sam Long (William Wright) by using a radio-controlled bowling ball that allows a neophyte to bowl like a pro. But, the radio signals from the control unit hidden in Long's coat interfere with the Nazi spies' Morse code signals, & they decide to put a stop to it. Meanwhile, Grandma Peckinpaw (also Joe E. Brown) by using loaded dice, has won the ownership of the old-folks home.

One of the spies is portrayed by a very young Lloyd Bridges; who seems typecast as a villain. None of the other cast members' names are familiar. Fairly good comedy, better than some I have seen.