What was the last movie you saw?

Bus Riley's Back in Town (1965)

Hollywood-slick drama that wanders all over the place. Our oddly-named title character returns from serving in the Navy. The household consists of his mother and a couple of sisters. There's also a schoolteacher lodging at the place who objects to being in the same house as a man, I suppose for comic purposes. Ann-Margaret has top billing as his ex-girlfriend who has married a rich guy. She comes on heavy to him, and he sort of reluctantly goes along with it. Meanwhile, he gets a job selling atomic vacuum cleaners (?) in a cartoon-like subplot that seems to come out of another movie entirely. There's also his younger sister's best friend, who takes care of her alcoholic mother as if she were the parent. Mom burns down the house by smoking in bed, killing herself. The tragedy sends the seventeen-year-old bereaved daughter into the arms of Bus Riley. Not a great idea, as fooling around with underage Ann-Margaret was why he had to run off to join the Navy in the first place. Did I mention that the booze-loving mother came on to Bus Riley when he was trying to sell her an atomic vacuum cleaner? As you might be able to tell, the mood of this thing varies wildly, from melodramatic to satiric, and the music is often inappropriately happy-go-lucky. The story goes that playwright William Inge took his name off the screenplay because the film was changed to emphasize Ann-Margaret's role. I'm not sure that makes any difference, as the whole thing is just a bunch of scenes that don't lead to anything in particular.

MAD MONSTER PARTY? (1967) I guess I have seen this too many times, already. Yet, once more!

So that's who Gale Garnett was. I didn't realize she was the singer of "We'll Sing in the Sunshine".

The Comancharos (1961)

Says Jack Elam was in it, but I did not notice him. Anyway Louisiana dandy
Paul Regret (Stuart Whitman) [...]

According to James Garner's autobiography he'd been asked to do this, but he thought a producer who didn't like him pulled strings to keep him out (this would have been when he was still in Maverick). I like Whitman well enough and he was okay in this, but I think Garner would have made this a better film; it would have been interesting to see him up against John Wayne.

By the way, this was the last film directed by Michael Curtiz, director of Dr. X, The Mystery of the Wax Museum, The Walking Dead (1936), The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, and a little movie called, Casablanca.

Night of the Creeps (1986) A spoof of zombie movies. College kids are going to have a prom, & alien creatures are controlling a few of them. The main character is named 'Romero.' :ROFLMAO: The cool guys have all the pretty girls as dates, and poor other guy, has to join a frat house to hope to be cool enough to merit one such girl. But, in performing the initiation, which involves stealing a corpse from the morgue, he, gets a frozen one with alien leach-like critters in it, that begin leaping into peoples' mouths, & possessing them.

Funny, but not so much that I would see it again.

My wife and I watched this. Tom Atkins, from The Fog, among other B movies, was fun as a detective carrying a guilt complex who sits around his house reading Raymond Chandler and true detective magazines. Not the best '80s horror spoof, but watchable; produced by Charles Gordon, a guy who later produced Die Hard, Field of Dreams and The Rocketeer among others.

My wife and I also watched,

Chopping Mall (1986)

I'm not entirely sure why except it was only 1.5 hours long and we didn't see anything else we wanted to watch.

I know I've seen it before but it wasn't so bad I remembered it. Notable mainly for knocking off Dick Miller faster than was usual in most of his late career movies (he also had a cameo in Night of the Creeps); also cameos by Gerritt Graham and Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov. Starring Kelli Maroney, who according to IMDB, has had a long, successful career in spite of this.

Some one had the idea of smushing together K.I.T.T. and Robocop (okay, so Robocop showed up a year later, so what?) to create a mall security force that patrols at night. Lightning strikes foul up programing and they start killing, first their programmers, then a maintenance worker, and then three young people who worked in the mall and had staked out one of the stores as a place to hang out in after work and before the mall completely shut down, complete with steel doors snapping shut.

I note the director went on to direct movies that sound even worse like Deathstalker II, The Return of Swamp Thing, Vampirella and a whole bunch more.

Randy M.

So that's who Gale Garnett was. I didn't realize she was the singer of "We'll Sing in the Sunshine".

According to James Garner's autobiography he'd been asked to do this, but he thought a producer who didn't like him pulled strings to keep him out (this would have been when he was still in Maverick). I like Whitman well enough and he was okay in this, but I think Garner would have made this a better film; it would have been interesting to see him up against John Wayne.

By the way, this was the last film directed by Michael Curtiz, director of Dr. X, The Mystery of the Wax Museum, The Walking Dead (1936), The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, and a little movie called, Casablanca.

My wife and I watched this. Tom Atkins, from The Fog, among other B movies, was fun as a detective carrying a guilt complex who sits around his house reading Raymond Chandler and true detective magazines. Not the best '80s horror spoof, but watchable; produced by Charles Gordon, a guy who later produced Die Hard, Field of Dreams and The Rocketeer among others.

My wife and I also watched,

Chopping Mall (1986)

I'm not entirely sure why except it was only 1.5 hours long and we didn't see anything else we wanted to watch.

I know I've seen it before but it wasn't so bad I remembered it. Notable mainly for knocking off Dick Miller faster than was usual in most of his late career movies (he also had a cameo in Night of the Creeps); also cameos by Gerritt Graham and Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov. Starring Kelli Maroney, who according to IMDB, has had a long, successful career in spite of this.

Some one had the idea of smushing together K.I.T.T. and Robocop (okay, so Robocop showed up a year later, so what?) to create a mall security force that patrols at night. Lightning strikes foul up programing and they start killing, first their programmers, then a maintenance worker, and then three young people who worked in the mall and had staked out one of the stores as a place to hang out in after work and before the mall completely shut down, complete with steel doors snapping shut.

I note the director went on to direct movies that sound even worse like Deathstalker II, The Return of Swamp Thing, Vampirella and a whole bunch more.

Randy M.

I just watched about 5 minutes of Vampirella . I wished I hadn't bothered. :eek:

@Jeffbert Mad Monster Party.- Great film.

1591044369797.png

Anyone remember the 1972 sequel?

1591044065151.png

Another Nice Mess (1972)

The film that finally answers the burning question "What if Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew acted like and sounded like Laurel and Hardy?"

Rich Little is Richard Nixon/Oliver Hardy. Herb Voland is Spiro Agnew/Stan Laurel. They go through various slapstick routines. Every once in a while Little plays Nixon as Nixon, commenting on the film. There are Secret Service agents, each one an offensive racial, ethnic, or religious stereotype, dressed as potted plants. Their microskirted secretary is the niece of a white-haired Hitler, who gets them to eat marijuana-laced cookies so they'll sign the USA over to him. While stoned, they hallucinate members of the Ku Klux Klan playing handball. Interspersed with all this are clips of the real Laurel and Hardy. The whole thing is a real mess. Watch for a very young, very thin, long-haired Steve Martin as a hippie. He has one line, but you can't miss his distinctive voice.

Seizure (1974)

The first film directed by Oliver Stone is an oddball horror flick with an interesting cast. Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows) is a artist/writer of scary stuff. A bunch of people show up at his house for some kind of celebration, including 1950's/1960's heartthrob Troy Donahue and Andy Warhol "superstar"/cult actress Mary Woronov. The usual helpful radio news broadcast tells us that three lunatics have escaped from an asylum. Don't accept that as an explanation for what happens, as it's much less explicable. Three bizarre people -- a gigantic guy dressed like an old-time executioner, a dwarf dressed equally oddly (Hervé Villechaize of Fantasy Island) and a goth-upped woman (Hammer Glamour star/Bond girl Martine Beswick.) These folks are known as, in order, the Jackal, the Spider, and the Queen of Evil. They also happen to be characters created by Frid. Or, as suggested by one of the guests, the two males are reincarnations of evil folks in history, and the woman is the goddess Kali. Or just the writer's hallucinations. Or escaped lunatics, as the radio said. Or three different aspects of death. This isn't the most unambiguous film in the world. Anyway, the weird trio kills some of the folks and forces the others to participate in deadly games, saying that only one will survive. There's also one woman who talks to her dead husband in a mirror, he talks back and tells her to accept something from the dwarf. This is supposed to make her young, but it has the opposite effect, so she kills herself by jumping out a window. The whole thing is an odd combination of art film and exploitation shocker. If you ever wanted to see a knife fight to the death between Jonathan Frid and Mary Woronov, this is the movie for you.

I finally got around to watching Terminator: Genysis. It was entertaining and started out really well, but by the Helicopter chase It had lost the plot a little.
The trouble with the Terminator Franchise is that there can only ever one story.

I finally got around to watching Terminator: Genysis. It was entertaining and started out really well, but by the Helicopter chase It had lost the plot a little.
The trouble with the Terminator Franchise is that there can only ever one story.
Yip, no matter what they twist in the plot, Judgement Day is inevitable as the first 3 movies have always pointed out. Look at the latest Terminator movie, it says the exact thing but twists it into something different.

I liked Genysis and the alt timeline plot . I didn't bother with Terminator Dark Fate , no interest in it. I think that the Terminator franchise has pretty much run its course.

Demolition Man. One of Stallone's best films IMO. And now the absurdities of not touching and 'be well' greetings are spot on.

That film has proven to be amazingly and frighteningly prescient.:eek:

The Falcon Takes Over (1942)

The first adaptation of a Raymond Chandler novel. They took Farewell, My Lovely and replaced Philip Marlowe with the Falcon, a playboy amateur detective. The plot is pretty much the same -- huge guy gets out of prison, tries to find his old girlfriend, murders and a convoluted plot follow -- but the mood is quite different. Lots of comedy relief, from the Falcon's chauffeur, the cops, and a would-be spunky female reporter. Nicely filmed and acted for an hour-long B picture.
I watched those Falcon films several times, very enjoyable. Likewise The Lone Wolf, The Saint, & Boston Blackie. I think there was at least, one more such series, but I cannot recall the title. Daffy Duck was cast as Boston Quackie in an obvious spoof.
Another Nice Mess (1972)

The film that finally answers the burning question "What if Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew acted like and sounded like Laurel and Hardy?"

Rich Little is Richard Nixon/Oliver Hardy. Herb Voland is Spiro Agnew/Stan Laurel. They go through various slapstick routines. Every once in a while Little plays Nixon as Nixon, commenting on the film. There are Secret Service agents, each one an offensive racial, ethnic, or religious stereotype, dressed as potted plants. Their microskirted secretary is the niece of a white-haired Hitler, who gets them to eat marijuana-laced cookies so they'll sign the USA over to him. While stoned, they hallucinate members of the Ku Klux Klan playing handball. Interspersed with all this are clips of the real Laurel and Hardy. The whole thing is a real mess. Watch for a very young, very thin, long-haired Steve Martin as a hippie. He has one line, but you can't miss his distinctive voice.
A guy I knew long ago, had an album called Richard Nixon, a Fantasy, in which R. Little and the oldest kid who chanted some annoying thing, in TOS' Miri, answerwd the question, what if Nixon went to prison for Watergate? Regardless of one's politics, this was really funny.

The Red Badge of Courage (1951) So, there are these very young, naive soldiers who have yet to go into battle against the Confederates. Those who boast the most of their as yet, unproven courage, will be among the 1st to run away, once the shooting starts. One, in particular, ashamed of his cowardice, eventually rejoins those who are fighting. Not quite, what I had expected! There were officers on horseback, attempting to head-off the deserters, and chase them back to the battle.

A Kiss Before Dying (1956) ; NOIR ALLEY, despite being cinema-scope & color.
Bud Corliss (Robert Wagner) is a university student of loathed middle class, who dates a daughter, Dorothy (Joanne Woodward) of A very wealthy father Leo Kingship (George Macready), impregnates her, which, when he learns of it, he determines to kill her. After two attempts, he succeeds, and then targets her sister as a way to riches.

I had seen this before, but the scene I remembered was at the end, so, until that, it seemed fresh.

in his attempt to kill the 2nd daughter, a very large dump truck that should have hit her when he shoved her into its path, steers around her, and knocks him off the edge. I just do not think that it would be likely that such a large vehicle could change direction so quickly, much less stop before going over the edge, especially on a dirt road.

SATANIS: THE DEVIL'S MASS (1969) DOCUMENTARY about Anton LeVey, who has his own church of Satan, or something to that effect, & has weird rituals involving people who became fed-up with traditional religion.

The Red Badge of Courage (1951) So, there are these very young, naive soldiers who have yet to go into battle against the Confederates. Those who boast the most of their as yet, unproven courage, will be among the 1st to run away, once the shooting starts. One, in particular, ashamed of his cowardice, eventually rejoins those who are fighting. Not quite, what I had expected! There were officers on horseback, attempting to head-off the deserters, and chase them back to the battle.

The Red Badge of Courage (the 1895 book) was required reading in my American Literature Class (1967?). It really gave me a whole different perspective on war and what makes a hero. In my opinion the book (there were at least 2 movies) is an absolute classic.

The Red Badge of Courage - Wikipedia

Yes Demolition Man is a brill movie, and kudos for having Nigel Hawthorne included; really makes the film for me.

The Enemy Below 1957 Robert Mitchum, Kurt Jurgen and David Hedison . Its a terrific movie and one that you watch again again.