What was the last movie you saw?

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters This one got a lot of bad reviews but I liked it. I found it odd that many of the critics said it had 'a laughable script and paper thin plot'. It's a monster movie for Pete's sake. A script here is just a vehicle for getting from one monster fight to the next one. It's not as if Godzilla is going to break the fourth wall and tell us that now is his winter of discontent. He's going to roar his ass off and kick monster butt!

I can just see the director 'Godzilla, baby. I like the roars but could you do it with a bit more depth, a bit more feeling?'

If I want something with a deep and meaningful script, I'll go watch some Shakespeare.

You do have to cherry-pick the Godzilla movies after all these years, but the whole genre was just for fun and for all ages.
The adverts used to hook me in - "Destroy All Monsters" .. well you just have to see something with a title like that.
And hey, not all the monsters were so formula - Diagoro had a weight problem and wasn't getting proper food, for ex.
He still managed to beat down on Goliath in the end but I was worried for a few minutes there. :)

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters This one got a lot of bad reviews but I liked it. I found it odd that many of the critics said it had 'a laughable script and paper thin plot'. It's a monster movie for Pete's sake. A script here is just a vehicle for getting from one monster fight to the next one. It's not as if Godzilla is going to break the fourth wall and tell us that now is his winter of discontent. He's going to roar his ass off and kick monster butt!
I can just see the director 'Godzilla, baby. I like the roars but could you do it with a bit more depth, a bit more feeling?'
If I want something with a deep and meaningful script, I'll go watch some Shakespeare.
There are a couple of moments when Godzilla acts o_O:eek:
When "the one with the three heads" ***** the ***** ******* and Godzilla give a great WFT double take! That I loved!:love:
Yes, the plot is laughable and MONARCH is about as believable as SHIELD as a top-secret organisation with apparently unlimited resources...
But Mothra looks amazing!!!

INVASION OF THE ASTRO-MONSTER (1965) Evil guys from newly discovered Planet X use Godzilla, Rodan, & King Gidorah to conquer the Earth. :LOL: But they must trick the Earthlings into lending Godzilla & Rodan to them, first. In exchange for them, they give a reel to reel tape supposedly containing the formula for a cure-all drug. But when those chumps play the tape, it contains a message demanding they surrender to Planet X, while will then rule them.

EBIRAH--HORROR OF THE DEEP (1966) I think this thing is a giant shrimp. More bad guys, intent on conquest, but this time, they are foiled by some young adults and a newly awakened Godzilla. :D

KURONEKO (1968) Literally, "BLACK CAT" Old Japan, and wars are common, as is conscription of any able-bodied man the Samurai meet. One such man, was taken from his home, leaving his wife and mother - in law alone. 3 years pass, and he has won acclaim by killing an enemy general. But some lowlife samurai had raped and murdered his wife and her mother, & burned their home to the ground. In the afterlife, they make a vow to some demon and resume bodily form. But they must drink the blood of Samurai in exchange.

So, THE SON-IN-LAW / husband is assigned to kill / destroy whoever is killing all these Samurai. Tragedy mixed with horror / the supernatural.

Hell Boy (the new one). Not great, but watchable. Ron Pearlman will always be Hell Boy to me.

Iron Man 3.

Annihilation 2018 - hard to spoil this one, since it's cut up so you know who survives, and has very little tension as a result, despite massive eye candy and trippy sound effex to beat the band. Actually, the sound FX were mildly irritating > why does anything 'alien' have to use that slightly-out-of-tune, low synthesized sound. I really, seriously doubt any advanced lifeform would put up with such a racket, but anyway at the 30 min. mark of this one, we find our intrepid team of 5 women walking into 'The shimmer' which is an area in a swamp where a lightning bolt or something came down and hit a lighthouse, right at the beginning of the movie, and this shimmer thing is expanding slowly and nothing that goes into it comes out, except for McGal's hubby, but he is in bad bad shape.
Perfect set-up for an action movie, but we already know that only McGal makes it out, - she's a microbiologist or something, knows about cells. The other women all have issues too, but they all wake up in the swamp and apparently have been there for a few days, in their pup tents, eating food, but nobody remembers that. They wander round inside the big swirly psychedelic shimmer, but it's all swamp, great swamp footage until the giant alligator attacks. The gals have plenty of machine guns along though so they survive that, but then a bear-thing gets one of them, they find remains of previous missions, dire warnings, gory gratuitous footage, a few times. The usual 'does everyone go insane and kill themselves?' then a bloody giant alien bear attack. The girls are not very proficient with their machine guns but it doesn't matter because we know they all expire anyway.
We find out the 'shimmer' is just refracting all DNA back and changing it, so it's making something, nobody knows what, even at the end, but we get all kinds trippy sets, watsername burns up and turns into giant cells... then a shimmer-critter forms and duplicates McGals every move, until she gives it a grenade and runs away.
The lighthouse burns down, the shimmer goes away, McGal and her hubby survive, he gets better fast, huggies, all set to depressing synthesized sound FX and little bits of unconvincing swampy acoustic guitar... and it's the end of a Netflix sci-fic extravaganza.

Son of Godzilla (1967) O.k., so this was likely aimed at kids, more than adults, but it still had some good stuff in it. Giant mantids & a giant spider, though not very impressive on screen, were new to the Godzilla franchise. Little 'Zilla was -- I do not want to say cute, but certainly not frightening in appearance. Every time I saw him, I was glad no one else was watching this with me, or present while I was watching. Similar to how I felt when watching Saturday morning cartoons at age 14.

The story takes place on a remote island, which the scientist dub "monster Island." They are there to conduct weather / climate control experiments, hoping to turn the tropical weather to frigid by exploding certain objects at certain altitudes, releasing chemicals. This is complicated by the presence of the giant mantids, which initially, are far from large enough to fight Godzilla. They are just the right size to munch on humans. After the 1st attempt to cause snow backfires, they soon grow huge. Three of them are seen attempting to crack open baby Zilla's egg.

Godzilla is not a model parent. He loses his temper when trying to teach his son to breath fire:
SON OF GODZILLA, 05421.jpg

:giggle:
But lil' Zilla can still only blow smoke rings.
SON OF GODZILLA, 05441.jpg

BTW, I did enhance the images because they were rather dark.

So, while the Zillas are the title character and his parent (do not know if Godzilla is male of female, because of the lack on naughty parts), they actually are secondary to the humans.

Annihilation 2018 - hard to spoil this one, since it's cut up so you know who survives, and has very little tension as a result, despite massive eye candy and trippy sound effex to beat the band. Actually, the sound FX were mildly irritating > why does anything 'alien' have to use that slightly-out-of-tune, low synthesized sound. I really, seriously doubt any advanced lifeform would put up with such a racket, but anyway at the 30 min. mark of this one, we find our intrepid team of 5 women walking into 'The shimmer' which is an area in a swamp where a lightning bolt or something came down and hit a lighthouse, right at the beginning of the movie, and this shimmer thing is expanding slowly and nothing that goes into it comes out, except for McGal's hubby, but he is in bad bad shape.
Perfect set-up for an action movie, but we already know that only McGal makes it out, - she's a microbiologist or something, knows about cells. The other women all have issues too, but they all wake up in the swamp and apparently have been there for a few days, in their pup tents, eating food, but nobody remembers that. They wander round inside the big swirly psychedelic shimmer, but it's all swamp, great swamp footage until the giant alligator attacks. The gals have plenty of machine guns along though so they survive that, but then a bear-thing gets one of them, they find remains of previous missions, dire warnings, gory gratuitous footage, a few times. The usual 'does everyone go insane and kill themselves?' then a bloody giant alien bear attack. The girls are not very proficient with their machine guns but it doesn't matter because we know they all expire anyway.
We find out the 'shimmer' is just refracting all DNA back and changing it, so it's making something, nobody knows what, even at the end, but we get all kinds trippy sets, watsername burns up and turns into giant cells... then a shimmer-critter forms and duplicates McGals every move, until she gives it a grenade and runs away.
The lighthouse burns down, the shimmer goes away, McGal and her hubby survive, he gets better fast, huggies, all set to depressing synthesized sound FX and little bits of unconvincing swampy acoustic guitar... and it's the end of a Netflix sci-fic extravaganza.
Is this based on a Jeff Vandermeer book?

A SHOT IN THE DARK (1964) THE 2nd film in the Pink Panther series. A really very funny film. Poor ol' Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Herbert Lom), he is already going nuts because of bumbling 'Inspector' Jacques Clouseau (Peter Sellers) .

Oh, I almost forgot:
Clash by Night (1952) Noir Alley, though certainly not what I expected of the genre! A 3 way love trug-o-war between Barbara Stanwyck 's character and two men, Robert Ryan & one other, each attempting to win her love. M. Monroe added confusion because her nude photos had just become widely known. Thus the before and after by Muller was actually more interesting to me, than the film, itself.

Not my type of story, as it seemed little to do with noir genre. If not for the 'noir' I would have passed on this one.

Last edited:
Darkest Hour 2011, not so bad as ridiculous invasion movies go, so don't read if you like same. We start with our young smartarse buddies landing in Moscow after a gratuitous lightning scare on the plane. We see McDonalds in Moscow and etc. Our heroes are immediately ripped off by a big corporation, of their invention, whatever it is... Loud disco tunes play as our heroines appear, they will meet the guys, who wisecrack while synthpop blares, and we get further irritating character development at a party until, at 14 min. the lights go out, and phones, and the sky is all swirly and everyone walks out saying ooh ah, all mystified. Pretty light-creatures some down and they split, then go foosh and sit there flickering. A cop walks out and touches one with his nightstick and he explodes into shards of black glass or something and now everyone screams and runs away. The orangeish light-swirl aliens absorb bullets no problem, and we switch to their vision, where people look like orange-lit swirl people. A few more people explode into black glass, a guy throws a booze bottle which burns but does it stop these orange swirly aliens? You know it doesn't, so everyone runs or explodes until our 4 MCs end up in a closet listening to the screaming.
They wait for 4 days and then, when they haven't heard any sounds for 27 hours... they go out and Moscow is empty, lots wreckage, no bodies, all conveniently exploded or whatever. A solitary old woman bricking up her window chases them off saying they will bring ghosts. Lots great deserted Moscow landmark footage. They get maps from a cop car, a dog runs past... it senses something, barks, explodes. Any real dog would be smart enough to run or hide, but not Rover. Now big blatty sound FX let us know the light-aliens are near. The orange ET spots them, but they crawl under the car and it doesn't find them despite all the electronics in the cop car go off. So the trick is... hide, I guess. The aliens see people as orange light, but now our group find a crashed jetliner which probably would have blown up,.. but they go on. They figure out that the mostly-invisible ETs can be seen better at night as they light electronic stuff up, and our heros now carry lightbulbs as warning devices. They get to the deserted embassy, find invasion messages from around the world, and a radio with a message repeating in what looks like a bird cage, but the ETs see electricity so they turn it off pronto. They look out over the city, everything is being absorbed or collapsing as ETs eat electricity and other conductive substances, but idiot-buddy has wandered out with a machine-gun onto the streets and as he's the only one speaks Russian, he has to be saved but no, he almost gets everyone killed, then he explodes.
They see a guy in a lit apartment window... the ETs aren't attacking him, so we get there and it's old Prof. electrician character, plus young blonde and orange cat, in a Faraday cage room. Hence, the 'lethal wave energy' ETs can't see them. The radio tells them a submarine in the river is leaving in the morning. They have to cross the city. Our Prof. has built a microwave projector gun, no less, but when the ETs burst into the room he only gets one of them before he explodes as does one of the girls.
Now 5 Russian soldiers appear with machine guns, flamethrower, rocket launcher and a horse, and they manage to take down one of the light-aliens. Then they all head off down the Metro, but light tentacles appear and one of our guys explodes. The remaining 3 Americans and 3 Russians make it onto a boat. Then onto the Sub, where they hotrod the microwave gun, using atomic sub quality gear and batteries, then go out to save Natalie. The microwave gun jams, of course, till the last second but then it zaps an ET and we see tentacles and octo-face as it explodes. Now the team floods the parking lot from a water truck, and the H20 conducts the microwave gun blast, shorting out ETs as the soldiers pepper them with guns and rockets, wow, Nat and Sean in bus, it takes off by itself, he blasts the ET, the brakes are gone, you can guess what happens.
Sean and pals head for the USA, Russkies stay home, everyone else in the world to battle on, with microwave guns, happy ending.

The Alien Factor (1978)

Ultra-low budget, old-fashioned monster flick. Spaceship carrying alien animals for some kind of interstellar zoo crashes on Earth, three creatures come out and kill folks. Mysterious guy shows up, knowing more about the situation than he should, and helps the locals destroy the things. Turns out he's an alien himself, in human disguise, leading to our tragic twist ending. Besides this alien, we've got the pilot of the spaceship, and the three beasts, to show off home-made makeup and special effects. The trio of critters include a humanoid with an insect-like exoskeleton, a tall furry anthropoid, and a giant lizard-type critter, the latter brought to life via stop-motion animation that wouldn't be too bad if it hadn't been double-exposed over the background so poorly that it's transparent. Other than the monsters, which are impressive for amateurs with no money, you've got really bad acting, an annoying electronic soundtrack, and a Sixties-ish rock band to kill time.

Yup, I just did Alien Factor a couple pages back, Starbeast likes it a lot too. ) These psych bands are always familiar here, get a kick out of obscure tracks not found anywhere else, like the one in this flick, the immortal classic 'Jump Back Crackerjack'.
Alien Factor 1976 - geee, an alien spaceship crashes, and various wild ET lifeforms escape, near our small town. There's an Inferbyce, a Zagatile, and a Leemoid loose. One other ET is unknown, and the pilot of the ship dies and the ship, which looks like it was made from a trailer, or a logging shed or something - blows up. The ETs begin dispatching locals, and someone has to do something because - "that was no animal!" .. There are lots bizarre squonking early Synth sound FX, and a couple tunes by 'Atlantis' (on Mekon Records) who play psych rock in a lounge near Baltimore, including 'Jump Back Crackerjack" I mean wattaya want?

Quote Reply
Reactions:Starbeast

Last edited:
Yup, I just did Alien Factor a couple pages back, Starbeast likes it a lot too. ) These psych bands are always familiar here, get a kick out of obscure tracks not found anywhere else, like the one in this flick, the immortal classic 'Jump Back Crackerjack'.
Alien Factor 1976 - geee, an alien spaceship crashes, and various wild ET lifeforms escape, near our small town.
Reactions:Starbeast

Don Dohler was the man who wrote, directed, played "Ernie" character and, got this flick in the theater!

Thank you Lon Talbot, for writing the song, "Jump Back Crackerjack". Ironically this type music has returned in the 21st Century, in the form of Doom or Sludge Metal.

THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (1975) Oops! I was caught with a mouthful of pistachios when Clouseau did something hilarious. :ROFLMAO: I laughed so hard so much that it led to a sneezing fit! A very satisfying film!

This Gun for Hire (1942) Lesson to be learned here: never pay the hit man with either counterfeit or marked bills that also happen to be stolen. :eek: So, the chemical manufacturer that makes poison gas for the war effort, also sells the formula to the enemy. The boss learns that someone is about to rat him out to the feds, so hires Raven to knock him off, and recover the letter written to the feds. When the hitman (Alan Ladd) uses one of the tens in a local shop, the girl dutifully checks the serial number against those on a list, and quickly matches it to one on that list. This, I thought was rather unlikely, as the girl was so happy that she made a sale, she would likely have forgotten about the list. She identifies the guy who used it, by his deformed wrist. Now, Raven wants to get the guy who hired him, but a woman (Veronica Lake) who also happens to be the girlfriend to a cop, is involved. She is a singing magician, just hired by the guy who had hired the hit man.

I thought there were more than a few unlikely elements to this film, but otherwise, a very good noir picture. Muller gave details about the adaptation from Graham Greene's short story, among other things. taking the setting from the UK and moving it to Los Angeles, and changing the deformity from the face to the left wrist. Also the hit man's backstory makes him not just a cold-hearted killer, but worthy of our empathy.

Last edited:
Secret Agent Martin Stevens Double Feature:

SuperSeven Calling Cairo (Superseven chiama Cairo, 1965)

Starts off without wasting any time during the precredits sequence, as our hero, British spy Martin Stevens, is in bed with a blonde in some hotel. She jumps up to remind him to write a check for a huge amount of money for the Turkish Embassy, for some reason or other. He gets up, starts writing the check, looks in a mirror and sees her aiming a gun at him, turns around and shoots her with the pen, which is also a gun. This gets your attention, but has nothing to do with the plot. After the credits, SuperSeven gets his assignment. It seems that a new element has been discovered, one hundred times as radioactive as uranium, but stable and safe to handle. (Bad science!) A sample of this stuff was hidden in the zoom lens of a movie camera in Cairo, intended to reach the Bad Guys, but a clerk accidentally sold it to a tourist. In Egypt, our hero finds a naked woman in his shower, they wind up in bed, he figures out that she's supposed to find out his mission for the Bad Guys. Instead, she leads him to them. Meanwhile, SuperSeven hooks up with a blonde who works at the camera store, and she drops everything to go gallivanting with him in search of the tourist with the camera. (His plan boils down to wandering around Cairo until they find him.) Complications ensue, as they have to track the camera to Switzerland. Plenty of fights, captures and escapes, and double-crosses. Typical Eurospy stuff.

The Spy Who Loved Flowers (Le spie amano i fiori, 1966)

SuperSeven is back in action, this time assigned to kill three guys who have knowledge of a secret gizmo, whose purpose we don't learn until the very end of the movie. He doesn't particularly like being a paid assassin, but goes along with the plan. He eliminates his targets in Paris and Geneva pretty quickly, but not without bumping into a blonde photographer who will be with him for the third and last part of the mission, set in Athens. Since this whole thing smelled fishy from the start, it's no surprise that our hero has been set up to be killed himself by the Bad Guys, who get their orders over a secret transmitter from an unknown person known as the Great Dragon. The usual spy stuff follows. Features a couple of catfights between the Good Girl and the Bad Girl. As above, about par for the genre.

Tomorrowland.

Upbeat, as you’d expect from a Disney movie. I rather enjoyed it.

The girl playing Athena was very good, I thought.

GODZILLA VS HEDORAH (1971) Environmental themes. Hedorah is living goop or sludge, with enough sulfuric acid to dissolve just about anything.

Ice Station Zebra (1968) It sure took me long enough to get around to seeing this! Very tense drama about both the free & Iron Curtain forces rushing to recover film taken by the most sophisticated camera with the best lens & film, of ICBM sites in both West & East. A secret agent (Danger Man/ The Prisoner guy) is sent via nuclear sub to the North Pole to recover the film, but until late in the story, nobody but himself and his ex-communist agent (Ernest Borgnine) have any idea why they are going there, except that all communications from Ice Station Zebra have been cut off. A platoon of marines join, headed by ex-football guy (Jim Brown). While attempting to crack through the ice, in order to surface, the forward torpedo room becomes flooded, and sabotage is the only reason why it could happen. Everybody suspects everybody else. Tense!

Good show!