What was the last movie you saw?

Hello, @Parson! I love Ken Burns (my wife and I just watched his powerful The Vietnam War, a not-perfect, but still moving and informative documentary series), and I was excited to hear about the Pilgrims documentary.

But...when I go to IMDB, there is no Pilgrims doc listed under him. I did some checking, and there is a documentary named The Pilgrims under the writer/director Ric Burns, who turns out to be Ken's brother! Just mentioning this in case any others go try to find the documentary under Ken's name at IMDB...it appears he didn't actually work on this one. But I'd love to see it!

Warlock III (1999)

I know sequels are seldom as good as the original, but, dang! The two following the original Warlock - a very good movie - have to rank as the worst of the worst!

I'd give a synopsis of this one, but it's just not worth it!

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

I certainly liked it more this time around. Of all the Star Trek movies, I'd liked this one least of all. It had a great concept (A Picard clone taking over as the Romulan leader), poorly executed.

Now I think they just gave the bad guy a goal far too ambitious to be believable, considering how short a time he'd been in power (even given a god-like ship with a god-like weapon).

Still, the acting was, as usual, exceptional. TNG was definitely loaded with the best actors of all the series.

Well, there's a coincidence. I had never heard of Warlock, much less its sequels, but I watched it the other night and it was not bad at all. It looked to me as though it was a cash-in on the success of Terminator: the plot is basically the same. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Good acting helped; it would have been so easy to ham it up, but Sands and Grant played it absolutely straight. I shall avoid the sequels though. Off-hand, I cannot think of any film that spawned sequels worth watched apart from Alien and The Godfather, and I dare say Warlock was no exception.

<p>
<strong>Warlock III</strong>&nbsp; (1999)</p><p></p><p>I know sequels are seldom as good as the original, but, dang!&nbsp; The two following the original <strong>Warlock</strong> - a very good movie - have to rank as the worst of the worst!</p><p></p><p>I'd give a synopsis of this one, but it's just not worth it!
</p><p></p>

Ant Man and the Wasp

Funny movie with some good action, ultimatly it's a smaller storyline that barely connects with the wider universe and is all the better for it.

The Wasp seems more of the main character than Ant Man and has most of the best fight and action sequences. Evangeline is fun to watch leaving Rudd to play the comedy relief.

3/5

Y2K - rubbish 'TV movie' fodder, shown in November 1999, telling a version of what might happen if the Millenium Bug was a real thing. Woo, a plane almost crashes but doesn't, and woo again, a nuclear power plant nearly goes into meltdown but doesn't.
Sadly, back in the day I wanted to watch this, but never got the chance.
Seen it now, more fool me.

Field of Dream Ray KInsella ( Keven Costner) hears a voice command him " Build it and they will come " builds a ball field and Shoeless Joe Jackson and other ball players from the past come to play. The film has a great cast which includes, Amy Matigan , James Earl Jones and But Lancaster in what would be his final performance as Doc Moonlight Graham. This film has a magic all its own and gets better with each viewing.

The Quiet Place - would be better with the sound right off, and while reading a book.
Very annoying, thot it was gonna be scifi, but should know better by now.
watched The Great Wall agin - great costumes and quite believable giant telepathic reptilian swarm, one of the best giant cgi swarms ever.

Morgan (2016)

A good Sci-Fi flick about humans stupidly mucking around with nature again, trying to create a hybrid synthetic/organic human(oid). Of course, it all goes south.

The "twist" at the end I fully expected, figuring that out pretty early on. That was okay, though, since it was still well done.

Good acting and directing, a tale well told and worth the watch. Currently playing on HBO-GO.

Extinction on Netflix. Can't say I rated it. It was the kind of idea that, it seemed to me, a LOT more could have been made of.

I did some checking, and there is a documentary named The Pilgrims under the writer/director Ric Burns, who turns out to be Ken's brother! Just mentioning this in case any others go try to find the documentary under Ken's name at IMDB...it appears he didn't actually work on this one. But I'd love to see it!

Good grief! how did I miss that it was Ric Burns and not Ken Burns! Still enjoyed it.

Ant Man .... This is probably the best Comic Book Super Hero movie I've seen. It actually had a plot that you could follow. I'm not big on the genre as a whole, but this was really pretty good.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Still entertaining, but Lightsaber duels for the sake of lightsabre duels, I'm afraid. Great soundtrack, though. Some excellent scenes, though. The execution of Order 66 was particularly well done.

I have to say that I thought the PT looked a little dated, this time round.

Here Comes Carter (1936) is about an ex-studio press agent who becomes a tell all radio personality.
Ross Alexander (never heard of him before) as Kent Carter, the guy above. Glenda Farrell as Verna Kennedy, the secretary at the radio station. Anne Nagel as Linda Warren, Carter's girlfriend, who dislikes his new mud-slinging career, and refuses to marry him unless he quits.

Fairly entertaining movie, though a B-film; it runs just over an hour.

Le Petit Soldat (1963) French with English subs, but I found them frequently difficult to read; either because of the background or the brief time and length of them. I really cannot say much, as I got little from this film.

Secret of the Blue Room (1933) this was Lionel Atwill day on TCM, & this was a TCM premiere, as I recall. Lionel Atwill as Robert von Helldorf, lives in a casrle with daughter Gloria Stuart as Irene von Helldorf. The Blue Room is rumored to be haunted, as several mysterious deaths had occurred therein. Paul Lukas as Captain Walter Brink, one of three men seeking the daughter's love. The youngest of the men, suggests that all three take turns sleeping in the Blue Room, & the one who spends the entire night (& lives), wins the love of Irene. He goes first & mysteriously vanishes.

Edward Arnold as Commissioner Forster (surprising role, as he is usually a villain) who arrives to investigate the disappearance of the 1st guy. Lucas is to be the third guy, but after the 1st vanished, why should the other two risk the same? The 1st guy made them agree that regardless of what happens to the others, all will take a turn.

Great cast, very good film.

Broadway Gondolier (1935) Dick Powell as Richard 'Dick' Purcell, aka Ricardo Purcelli, a New York taxi driver, whose hobby is singing opera as he drives. Joan Blondell as Alice Hughes, the secretary in the office of Flaggenheim Cheese, who gives him his big break, by mooing. oinking, etc., for a kiddie radio program that he quits after its 1st episode. No wonder this actor switched from musicals to Noir! So, disgusted with the nature of his first job 'singing' he lacking patience, returns to cab driving. Adolphe Menjou as Professor Eduardo de Vinci, who helps him find a job after stowing away on a ship to Italy. So now, he is in Venice, as a boat driver or gondolier, who sings. The boat he rode, also carried his would-be employers, who did not give him a chance to show his talent in New York, now hear him in Italy, take him for a native, sign him as the singer who will work on radio ads for their products.

As a musical, which I usually tend to avoid, this was not at all annoying, as the singing did advance the plot. Very good film!

The Clown (1953) Red Skelton, as the title character, as an alcoholic washed-up ex-vaudeville stand-up comedian, who tries to maintain custody of his young son. He and his wife had divorced years ago, and, at that time, only he had the means to support the boy, so he got custody. Now she is married to a man who has the means to support. The boy believes his mother died. Now, when by chance she meets the boy, maternal instincts compel her to gain custody.

This is not the usual Skelton film, as it is more drama than comedy. Not my favorite, by far!

Downstairs (1932) Paul Lukas as Albert, the Baron's butler, and chief of the servants. The film opens as his wedding to Virginia Bruce as Anna. Just that same day, a new chauffeur Karl (John Gilbert) is hired. Karl, uses blackmail to advance his station in life, and he frequently clashes with Albert. Once Albert learns that Karl had blackmailed the Baroness, & robbed Sophie the cook, again, using blackmail, violence settles the matter. Albert had already tried to fire Karl, but Karl's power over the Baroness kept him employed.

Good dramatic film.

Last edited:
I thought the Oscar nominations for 2017 were a good lot. I saw all of them. I am most entertained when a film undercuts my expectations . for me that was Dunkirk. Nolan's love of time-framing really seemed spot on for this one. A bit of an off center event in WWII so there is something for it there. And as usual Nolan had a bit of an off center narrative.
(Ever since Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers film makers have been less old fashioned in telling WWII, at least consistently. I know that started back in 1949 with Battleground , but was not always true , even tho there were exceptions.)

Liked Shape of Water, and glad del Toro got an Oscar , but me thinks it was for his body of work, Pan's Labyrinth was a better film (as well as The Devil's Backbone). Shape is good but couldn't help feeling de Toro catered to a more conventional story , not as twisty as it seemed to need.

it is interesting, the Academy has 10 slots and only nominated 9 films. The film that has stuck with me and I have gone back and watched 4 times is Blade Runner 2049. I love the way this film made Blade Runner (1984) a better story. I like the hooks back into the first film , it has a cool segue from the earlier story, love the cast and the production design. This is the first attempt at a 'cyber punk rich milieu ' that has worked since that of Scott in 1984. I think this was a difficult film for many , not surprised that it did poor box office , am surprised it did not make 300 million world wide.
Blade Runner 2049 goes in my top ten science fiction films of all time.
Best film I saw in 2017.

The Horror of Dracula 1958 with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing . Classic stuff ! I bought it last night and watched. I also bought a dvd with eight other Hammer horror. :)

Animal Farm (1954)

Animated adaptation of George Orwell's famous allegorical satire. Adds some comedy and cuteness to the grim and violent story, and even a hopeful ending at the very last minute, in direct opposition to the book. Otherwise, it maintains the bite of the original for the most part. Oddly enough, this British film was funded by the CIA.

How the CIA brought Animal Farm to the screen