What was the last movie you saw?

:) Thanks svalbard, and as for the doublepost I think that is my computer telling me off for having it on the same power-pack as the exploding TV ;)

Know all about that :)

I watch YouTube, just watching Candice from Balckmore's Night singing Soldier of Fortune as I got timed out in poker with Pocket Aces...as I typed this.

Timed out again...Diamonds and Rust is playing as I type. Very slow and drunk.

Anyway Desperado is a very good movie! That is all I wanted to say.

Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1971)

Spanish scream king Paul Naschy once again plays a wolf-man in this old-fashioned monster rally. Some guy goes to Transylvania to visit the place of his ancestors. Along for the ride is his much younger, beautiful blonde wife. Some hoodlums kill the man and assault, but Naschy, in human form, kills two of them and rescues her. The locals attack Naschy's castle, both because the hoodlums who got away want payback, and because he's rumored to be a monster. The blonde and Naschy flee to London. It just so happens that the grandson of the infamous Dr. Jekyll is her ex-boyfriend. They come up with a plan to cure Naschy of lycanthropy. They'll inject him with the Mister Hyde formula while he's tied down. Hyde is supposed to drive the werewolf out of Naschy, then an anti-Mister Hyde formula will get rid of him. Well, it seems that Jekyll's assistant is jealous of the blonde, so she stabs Jekyll and lets Naschy go free in Hyde form. The movie ends in an expected fashion. Naschy has a couple of interesting werewolf transformations, once while stuck in an elevator with a soon-to-be victim, and later while in a swinging discotheque. He has fun playing Hyde, too, with minimal makeup and a big grin as he goes out committing random evil. I saw the cut American version, so it's a little jumpy, the women keep their clothes on, and there's not a lot of blood. It's an OK monster movie for those of us who aren't too fussy about such things.

Traitor (2008)

Much underrated actor Don Cheadle's low-key performance in this movie is near perfection.

This tale of a deep undercover operative trying to identify and find the leader of a very dangerous international terrorist group is rife with superb performances, fine directing and believable characters and events. Somehow, this movie barely took in more than its budget, and was overlooked at awards time. More proof that the best movies are rarely recognized as such by the Hollywood Elite.

Time Trap (2017). It's a low budget independent film. Three million fairly low. It wasn't bad. The characters were a little slow for a group of supposedly smart people. Only one bad plot hole that I saw (there were some smaller ones). It kind of had a H. G. Wells feel to it.

Family Blood

A genuinely interesting small budget vampire movie. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Alien Code (2017) Another indy sci-fi film that did the festival scene. This had several recognizable actors. Not big movie stars but solid TV actors. This runs the gamble of time travel, aliens, and alternate dimensions. I liked it up until the end.

KILL OR CURE (1962) Terry Thomas as an inept private investigator who take a case that has him enroll in a health retreat in which everything edible is awful, guests are subjected to various unpleasant activities and such, & of all things, the woman who hired him is dead when he first meets her. Lionel Jeffries is the cop, who is constantly being bonked on the head and knocked out. A fairly good if not better than good comedy.

The warped Ones (1960) A Japanese film about punk boys, just released from Juvenile detention, who steal a car, beat up other guys, & make a mess of their lives. Not much else to say about it.

Ghost Stories (2017)
The Brits are usually good at this type of story but this was a train wreck. Slow, dull, dense and very unscary. Very disappointing.

Just watched How it Ends a Netflix movie with Theo James and Forest Whitaker (and Bonnie the witch from TVD). As the name implies it's a end of the world as we know it type story. I read a lot of this stuff so I feel qualified to say it was pretty good until the end. If you can call what happened an ending. It just stops. Kind of like the end of the Sopranos.

I'm Gonna Git You, SUCKA! (1988) PARODY OF BLAXPLOITATION films such as Shaft. The Dean from Animal House was Mr. Big, the guy who was behind all the evil. So, this guy comes home from the Army, chest covered with ribbons, medals, and such, but none for combat. His mama is always fighting his battles, which embarrasses him to no end. His younger brother just died from wearing too much gold, & he wants revenge. Thoroughly over the top, and really funny.

Party Girl (1958) Noir in full color!? Muller himself addresses this question, & thinks it does indeed qualify. But, as it is set during the 1930s, I wonder. Anyway, Robert Taylor is the lawyer for Lee J. Cobb, who is the Capone-type mob boss. Cyd Charisse is Taylor's girl. All is well, until Taylor decides to quit being a mob lawyer, and seek less notorious clients. Then, the cops arrest him, demand he rat on his ex-client, & the woman becomes a target of extortion, if you talk, she will suffer, etc.

O.k., I never studied law, but it seems to me that attorney-client privilege ought to be in force, even after the attorney-client relationship ends.

Beside that, this was a fairly good example of a gangster film, though it did have a few dance scenes, as it was an MGM production.

The Sea Hawk (silent version) I only recognize 1 name in the credits, Wallace Beery as Capt. Jasper Leigh. Milton Sills as Sir Oliver Tressilian, a nobleman wants to marry the lady who lives in the castle next door, but, her guardian & brother are against it, because they consider him a pirate; though he does have letters of marque from the queen. These are the days when arguments and insults are settled by duels. So intense is the bitterness of the neighboring men, that the one attacks the guy's brother as they pass on the road. The brother kills the attacker in a fair fight, but without witnesses, it will be considered murder. The brother fears for his life, and pays WB to abduct the nobleman, and sell him into slavery, believing that his sudden absence will be presumed as guilt in the slaying. But, WB, though a lowlife, gives MS the opportunity to out bid his brother, which ends MS as oar slave in a Spanish Galleon.

Things happen, & there he is seated beside a Moor, things happen, etc.

This was a very good adventure film, and even when I realized that I had seen it before, I continued to watch it to its end.

The Horror at 37,000 Feet . This was a TV movie made in 1973 by Dan Curtis. Staring Chick Comnner , William Shatner, Toy Things , Ruseeel Johns , Budy Ebsen . In the film , a druids alter has been loaded not a pannier plane and it bring with it a malevolent entity that killed and freezes all who come into contact with it . If you've never seen this film I very highly recommend it. Its on dvd and it can be found Youtube as well.

Logan. First time I've seen this one. Usually I don't like Wolverine because I can't bear unbeatable characters, but he was much, much better in this one. Patrick Stewart was ace.

Patrick Stewart is always ace in the films he does!

Also I just saw the Superman VS Batman film and I'm baffled how it did so well in reviews. It's so bitty and messy at the start its as if they can't quite decide if its a sequel where we know the characters backgrounds or if the film has to introduce us; there's way too many unneeded and random dream sequences; Batman appears rather dim for him* and rather random too**. Lex appears to be mostly bonkers and lacks any real motivation for his actions save for a rather sketch "he's a god I must kill god so that there can't be god or something". Louis spends the film basically being a plot driver and doing very little else and her one action (casting away the spear) is one she undoes only moments later.
Even Wonder Woman is teased*** just a bit too early for her own good which somewhat spoils the epic end-fight as you know she's going to appear. Superman meanwhile appears very slow**** and seems to lack any real character spark or motivation; he just seems to be almost along for the ride.

IT just seems to be an idea with a lot of CGI but no real story; or rather one that is poorly strung together around great action sequences. I can't help but wonder if the actual story is laying there on the cuttingroom floor (ok in the digital hard drive) or if this is really the story they came up with.

*having seen the man of steel smash, break and generally be full of godly powers his method of combat is to fight him one-on-one. Sure that makes for a neat fight but it's rather odd how he'd choose that as a method of defeating Superman rather than something smarter.

**Deciding to steal the Kryptonite from Lex even though at that stage he's not really even fully aware that Lex is "evil".

***When her photo appears and its her in full Wonder Woman uniform it leaves little to nothing of the mystery around her character; as soon as we see it we know she's going to appear.

**** in both speed and mentality; especially speed. For a man faster than a speeding bullet he takes no action when the bomb goes off; not even to throw himself over to take some of the blast. Nor does he make much if any real use of his speed at any other key point.

PS when they find Martha near the end I'm left confused as to if Alfred was listening in on all of Lex's communications why didn't he inform Batman in advance about the phone conversation and save the whole battle sequence from unfolding. Otherwise it just seems that the writers gave themselves 10 minutes and just lazily resolved the matter with another cool action sequence.

Last edited:
Today I watched two different time travel moves. First was Next with Nicholas Cage. This is a borderline B movie but I still found it entertaining for a shallow pond. The second was Source Code with Jake Jyllenhaal. This was a deeper movie. It did have a few moral question but nothing that hasn't been seen before. Both were rewatches but I was in a time travel mood and wanted two different takes on the subject.

Timbuktu (2014)
Based on a true story of shocking events that happened in Mali in 2012, and barely scratched international news. Young people were apparently (I haven't verified this with my own research) forced to marry on the spot if they met in the street, which was portrayed in a couple of scenes.

Can cinematography be too perfect? Everything looked so perfectly framed and beautiful, which was at odds with what was going on. There was one very haunting scene where boys were playing football in the sand, without a football (as football was banned). So you'd see the sand kicked up, but there was no ball. They did a very convincing job. It was a good film.

Also, it was recommended by Michael Palin a couple of years ago when I went to see him talk. I'm glad I got around to watching it at last.

A Silent Voice (2016)
An emotional roller-coaster of a Japanese anime, about a school bully and a deaf girl. Not one of my favourites, but still good.

The Golden Dream (2013)
Heartbreaking film about Guatemalan children trying to reach the US. Another good one.

Whiplash (2014)
Easily the best film I've watched recently, with fantastic performances by everyone. It raises the question of whether the instructor's actions are justified. For the harm it causes, I'd say never.

Deep End (1970)
Bizarre film starring Jane Asher. It was okay. I liked the decaying public baths.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was pretty good overall. It had mediocre reviews so it was pleased it was a solid Jurassic entry. The first hour was great fun. It went downhill when they went off the island but the last parts decent. Good fun.
I often find with the blockbusters they can be fine if you don't expect too much. This is one of the better blockbuster franchises. I think I prefer this to the previous Jurassic World movie.

Also on the weekend I watched "Before I wake". A decent horror movie. Some originality though the ending is strange (as is often the case in horror movies).