What was the last movie you saw?

Just finished watching Witness with Harrison Ford. He plays a Philadelphia detective who ends up hiding out in Amish country after he digs up some incriminating information on several corrupt police. I think it gives you a good sense of the lifestyle and culture of the Amish while also being an exciting action movie.

Brick (2005). One of the most boring films I've seen in a while. None of it felt believable. I've since seen it described as modern film-noir set in a school.

Brick (2005). One of the most boring films I've seen in a while. None of it felt believable. I've since seen it described as modern film-noir set in a school.

I liked this one. Found it engaging and dark and was rather happy I'd not gone through anything like that in my high school.

Randy M.

The Man in the Glass Booth (1975)

Another in the American Film Theatre series. Adapted from the novel and play of the same name by Robert Shaw. (Yes, the same Robert Shaw who starred in Jaws and many other films; apparently he was quite a respected author as well.) Maximilian Schell stars as a very eccentric millionaire who is abducted by Israeli agents and put on trial as a Nazi war criminal. He gleefully admits his atrocities, but there's more going on than meets the eye. Almost a one-man show. Pretty intense.

Ninotchka, 1939 comedy. Greta Garbo at her heart-pounding best (does she even need to act?). Melvyn Douglas pretty cool too but Ina Claire fairly steals the show. Fun way to spend an afternoon in the art house cinema.

The Battle Of The River Plate (1956) an oldie but a goodie from Powell and Pressburger:)

Watched this last night:
poster-midnight-1939_01.jpg

Good "screwball comedy" from 1939.

Think Fast, Mr. Moto and Thank You, Mr. Moto (both 1937)

The first two films in a series of B movies with Peter Lorre as the character created in novels by J. P. Marquand. In the books, he definitely works for the Japanese government as a secret agent. In the movies, it's not always clear. Often compared to the Charlie Chan movies, but they're more thrillers of international intrigue than whodunits. Moto is a master of disguise and ju-jitsu, willing to kill the bad guys in cold blood when he has to. More James Bond than Sherlock Holmes, if you can picture the diminutive and sickly Lorre as an Action Hero. In the first film, he investigates smuggling aboard an ocean liner. In the second, he's after seven ancient scrolls that reveal where the lost treasure of Genghis Khan is located. Both movies have good production values for B films, move briskly -- they're less than seventy minutes long -- and provide good entertainment.

Escape From Galaxy 3 1983.
If you want 80s disco music, spicy space-costumes, ancient Earth costumes, cheesy rocketships, bad dialogue, and general mindless mayhem, this one has some or all of that. IF you can focus on it long enough to write a comprehensive review, it may save someone from watching it. Still, Belle-Star's costume IS very snazzy. And the synthesized discoid tones are entertaining as heck. The bad guy's costume has those shoulder-things... like bat-wings, so he can't see anything off to the sides, he has to turn all the way around.

Escape From Galaxy 3 1983.
If you want 80s disco music, spicy space-costumes, ancient Earth costumes, cheesy rocketships, bad dialogue, and general mindless mayhem, this one has some or all of that. IF you can focus on it long enough to write a comprehensive review, it may save someone from watching it. Still, Belle-Star's costume IS very snazzy. And the synthesized discoid tones are entertaining as heck. The bad guy's costume has those shoulder-things... like bat-wings, so he can't see anything off to the sides, he has to turn all the way around.

Some of the on-line stills showing the costumes from that suggest a dysfunctional yoga class.

Randy M.

Looking for fodder to use on the Name that Film thread, I ended up watching Scanners. An early 80s sci-fi classic. Michael Ironside exploding heads made him the go to villain of his time.

The Death Of Stalin. Mildly amusing black (and more-or-less faithful to the facts) comedy but lacking that je ne sais quoi.
Perhaps it's the subject matter itself that doesn't quite work for me? Not a particularly bad film but not great either.

Time would be better spent reading Simon Sebag Motefiore's The Court Of The Red Tsar for a more complete (and serious) look at Stalin's crimes, death and legacy.

Destination Moon =- from the Heinlein book, written for the screen by Heinlein, O'Hanlon and Rip Van Ronkel. Featuring Woody Woodpecker sequences, yeup. Lots of stuff in this one, including the classic 'We have to lose 120 lbs. or we can't take off" argument.
Everyone argues why they should be the one left behind to die, while the Capt. figures out a way that none of them have to expire, which he does, of course. ... Rip Van Ronkel?

"Zombies:Dawn of the Dead" (1978)

I just fancied a bit of guts 'n' gore with my beans on toast last night, and even though this old Romero classic is perhaps a little long in the tooth, it still has a remarkably good story, decent sfx and a great soundtrack by Goblin.

4/5

The Last Jedi... I liked it, but they didn't make it easy for me to do so. Either they just improvised the whole movie, or they are some lazy writers! So much so that I can't be bothered to spend any more time on it myself.

Hurricane Heist 2018---- couldn't quite figure this one out, there was too much stuff blowing around. It's a good idea, robbing somewhere during a hurricane, maybe wearing led boots so's not to fly away... but .... **

B*tch (2017)

Wife decides she's a dog. Acts and lives like a dog.

This movie fails as a comedy, and I certainly hope it wasn't intended to be a serious melodrama!! It was well-acted - for what that's worth. But nothing could have saved this film from its ridiculous, unfunny premise.