What was the last movie you saw?

Finished this today:
81riYyMDTvL._SY500_.jpg

Pretty darn good blend of logic and not-so-logic to watch at night with the lights off and a tuxedo Maine Coon curled up on your lap. Looking back I wish I had saved it for Halloween after the trick or treaters had gone home.

Fun at St Fanny's (1955) - strange little low-budget British school comedy film lovingly restored and re-released on DVD by The British Film Institute. Bewilderingly bad, the film lurches from scene to scene or crude slapstick with the barest thread of a plot holding them together. A not very good school farce punctuated by moments of really really weird acting the odd utterly surreal moment and bizarre little musical numbers (including a very odd version of Mambo Italiano). Some very odd stuff in here but why the BFI thought it worth the effort to revive is as baffling as anything on screen.

The result of some bizarre drinking game?

I watched something called "Bad Bromance" with Jack Black and James Marsdon.

It was ok. A story about how people hold others in high esteem, especially after time has passed. Not a bad film, a little disturbing in part but not my cup of tea.

Hammered through Spot Light (wow!), Victor Frankenstein (Meh..) and The Big Short (wow!) weekend before last.

Picked up Lobster in HMV on the weekend, looking forward to that and a glass of wine this Friday night with the wife - anyone seen it?

I've heard a lot of good things about it. It sounds pretty funny and pretty weird.

American Hustle - great soundtrack but the characters were (by and large) not nice people and I felt nothing for them (with the exception of the mayor)

Zootopia. Entertaining story full of good messages and laughs for both kids and adults. Six thumbs up from these grandparents and grandson. See the 2D version and save the extra charge. The 3D effects were not especially noteworthy.

Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)

Spanish horror king Paul Naschy stars in this interesting variation of the Dracula myth. The vampire legend is given some unusual twists here, and the plot goes in some unexpected ways, so I won't give away too much. Of course, there's a lot of familiar Eurogothic stuff here as well. A spooky old building, with women wandering around in their nightgowns. (Despite the fact that this clearly takes place in the 19th century, by the daytime costumes, these are very 20th century nightgowns.) A cat jumping out to scare one of the women. There is also a lot which is silly. Vampires whose faces are dead white with heavy makeup, but whose bodies are tanned. Dracula narrating scenes with an echo effect in his voice.

The setup involves a couple of guys carrying a large crate to the spooky old building, said to be an abandoned sanitarium. (It seems the previous doctor in charge of the place was a little too fond of draining his patients' blood for his experiments, so he was hung in a riot. I was never clear if this was Dracula in another incarnation, or somebody else. In either case, this backstory would make a decent film on its own.) The two guys decide to open the crate to see if there is anything to steal. To their surprise, but not the viewer's, it holds a coffin. Inside the coffin they find a skeleton with long blonde hair. After shutting it up they decide to wander around looking for something else to grab. One gets killed in typical vampire fashion, but, surprisingly, the other one gets killed by an ax in the head. Hilariously, a scene of the axed guy falling down a flight of stairs is repeated over and over in slow motion under the opening credits.

Cut to a horse-drawn coach making its way somewhere. Inside are one young man, our presumed hero, and four young women, our presumed "brides." There's also the coachman. Well, a wheel falls off, the coachman gets kicked in the head by a horse and dies, and our five tourists are forced to walk to the nearby spooky old building, newly inhabited by the doctor (Naschy) who just bought the place, for help.

I'll stop the plot summary here, even though our movie has really just started, because it doesn't always go the way you expect (although sometimes it does.) You'll probably figure out who the doctor is -- hell, he's played by Paul Naschy -- but you may not predict what happens to the hero, nor exactly what roles the various brides will play in the strange events to follow. The opening scene, with the two crooks and the blonde skeleton, turns out to be relevant. Dracula's motives turn out to be unusual.

There are some very nicely filmed scenes. There is some really bad dubbing. There's a fair amount of sleaze -- lots of topless scenes for the brides, and some girl-on-girl bloodsucking scenes played for eroticism (as well as some heterosexual ones) -- but nothing too extreme. There are some vampire-vs-vampire fight scenes of interest. All in all, decent entertainment for fans of this genre.

Snake People (1971)

One of the four low-budget Mexican horror films Boris Karloff made at the very end of his life. His scenes were filmed in Los Angeles in 1968. This one is pretty standard voodoo movies stuff. (Weirdly, the opening scene shows us a globe which places the "Island of Snakes" in the Pacific Ocean, although everything in this movie fits a Caribbean setting.) Anyway, a hard-nosed French police captain arrives to crack down the island's black magic. At the same time our heroine, a young German woman, arrives on the island to visit her uncle (Karloff.) She's a temperance crusader. (By her clothing, particularly her nifty cloche hat, I'm guessing this is supposed to be the 1920's.) Her anti-alcohol fervor is pretty much played for laughs, and she gets into a romance with a hard-drinking government police lieutenant, our hero. Along for the fun are a scary dwarf and a scantily-clad belly dancer who participate in the voodoo rituals. The latter has a treak of white in her black hair and an intense stare, and looks like a sexier, scarier Lily Munster. A lot of elements are all mixed up in this movie -- telekinesis, laughably cheap "zombie" makeup (just pale blue paint), hints of necrophilia with the recently revived dead, "cannibal women" (pale blue zombies who kill some police), a weird dream sequence in which our heroine rises from a coffin, sees herself in another coffin, and proceeds to make out with herself -- but it manages to be pretty limp. It's not the worst voodoo movie I've ever seen, and has some interesting scenes, but it's nothing to write home about either. Karloff, living on one lung, never far from a supply of oxygen, and dependent on a wheelchair, manages to keep his powerful voice and be pretty effective here, particularly when he beats a guy with his cane. On the other hand, at the very end of the movie somebody dubs Karloff's last lines, and whoever it is doesn't sound like him at all.

I think I reviewed this one in here somewhere. Boris beats on a guy with his cane, that's his last action sequence. There's also a midget who does some good crazy laughing. I haven't watched anything for a while, resting brain though not sure what for. *

Drive In Massacre (1977) - tedious 'killer on the loose' film which was 90% fill and 10% pointless. I guess they got a decent enough trailer out of it but by Christ the rest of it was tedious. As for the 'twist' ending the less said the better. Watched as part of my long term masochist project to watch everything released (in English) on the quasi-illegal 23rd Century DVD label. Other classics released by them include a transfer of Philippine Mad Max knock off Clash of the Warlords (aka Mad Warrior 1985) so crappy it opened with a two minute freeze frame of an explosion. (Presumably the opening credits were supposed to go over this static shot but apart from a brief - 6 second - flash of the film's title... nothing else appears on screen) and tape roll from the battered VHS copy from which it is mastered. On at least two occasions the screen went to blue as, I guess, the tape jammed in the machine as they were digitizing it. At least Drive In Massacre had credits and didn't jam in the machine.

Wow JM thanks for reporting in on this kind of stuff, it saves a lot o' potential agony here, as again, a long download results in a short unpleasant video degradation of the mind.... (*?) and, err... I think I'll go watch a nature special on food spoilage microorganisms.

Carol (2015)

Adaptation of the novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, originally published as The Price of Salt under a pseudonym. Handsomely filmed, and made me feel like I was looking at the early 1950's. Inevitably, it's not as groundbreaking as Highsmith's lesbian love story was at the time. Tries a little too hard at times to be a "serious" award-winner.

I got around to watching 'the lobster' last night.

It's hard to discuss without blowing major spoilers, I loved it's queerness, it's humour. In fact, I fell for it straight away with the opening - WTF?!? the dialogue reminded me of Wes Anderson, while the camera work was no where close. Was it filmed in Scotland? I'll have to check. Stunning, no matter where it was.

The acting: stellar. The concept: how many glasses of wine have I drank?

At it's core - a story about relationships. It is a metaphorical poem on our perceptions of love, the length we go to attain it and the lies we concede to endure it. And yes, I will regret typing that in the morning...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Still here?

Watch it, I had no idea how it was going to end and so should you. However, I do recommend a bottle of your favourite wine.

The end... I really want to scream at the top of my voice.

Well done to all involved.

I got around to watching 'the lobster' last night.

Watch it, I had no idea how it was going to end and so should you. However, I do recommend a bottle of your favourite wine.

I watched it a while back and, though I found it very interesting, I didn't actually make it all the way to the end. Probably because I didn't have any wine at hand. :unsure:

The last movie I watched was "The Danish Girl". Absolutely beautiful film and great acting but the story didn't really engage me and, since I knew the general premise beforehand, never managed to surprise me.

I walked into The Danish Girl, after buying tickets for Star Wars TFA. A mix up, they'd printed tickets for another showing - go VUE!! The cinema was empty, I thought it was a trailer. Then, after I'd gotten sucked into screen there was a tap on my shoulder, "This is the film." The wife, ever more astute than I...

It's on the list to watch, the 90 seconds of what I did see did a far better job of selling it to me than the trailer did.

But not what I saw last, which is now 'the Deerhunter'. A perfect hangover film, deliberately paced and beautiful. But I stayed strong, I did not cry, not this time. This and Shindler's List and if I'm honest, the Lion King (but I won't be) are the only two films I cry at on re-watching.

Watched Enter The Dragon followed by Up In Smoke this weekend.

Up In Smoke, Cheech and Chong? The one with the 'green' car?