What was the last movie you saw?

It is a fun and edjumacational place. I watched Astro Zombies, sort of, again, last night, while trying to write something. It is recommended rubbish. )

Bad Timing (1980)

It's difficult to describe this film from cult director Nicolas Roeg. If it's possible to think of his films Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth as very unusual examples of horror and science fiction, then perhaps it's best to think of this one as a very unusual example of mystery/suspense/film noir.

Even more than the other films mentioned above, Bad Timing makes extensive use of flashbacks and flashforwards. For this reason, and also to avoid spoilers, it's difficult to talk about the plot. Certain events only become clear after you've been paying close attention for two hours. Suffice to say that the story begins with a woman (Theresa Russell) who has overdosed on a dangerous mixture of pills being taken to a hospital. Most of the rest of the film deals with her emotionally complex relationship with her lover (Art Garfunkel.) There are only two other important characters. One is an older man (Denholm Elliott) whose relationship with the woman isn't obvious at first. The other is a police inspector (Harvey Keitel), out to discover the truth.

Bad Timing is beautifully filmed, with fine use made of European and North African locations. It is also emotionally harrowing, and not for the timid. It reminds me, in some ways, of the extraordinary horror film Possession (1981). Both films take a very dark look at sexual and romantic relationships.

El Mariachi

The minor masterpiece debut of cult film director Robert Rodriguez shot on a budget of $7000. It tells the story of El Mariachi who arrives in a Mexican border town just looking to play guitar and sing. However on the same day a killer arrives in town dressed just like the Mariachi and he is mistaken for him and drawn into the local warlords blood feud.

Beautifully shot, the film also has a great gritty atmosphere. Well worth a watch

The Sunshine Boys (1975)

Neil Simon's play about two elderly vaudeville comedians who haven't spoken to each other, out of spite, for eleven years, who are brought together again for a television special. Works best when Walter Matthau and George Burns as the two feuding comics are together, not so much when anybody else shows up.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)

Storyofricky.jpg

I went and read the entire Riki-Oh manga after watching this. The level of gore in this movie is absolutely insane. Everyone should have to watch the scene where Oscar tries to strangle Riki with intestines at least once.

The Words ,with Bradley Cooper,Olivia Wilde and Jeremy Irons .
A plot device that's pretty contrived(won't give it away,but it more or less results in the movie having THREE protagonists ).A lot of flashbacks/the end fails to deliver.
DESPITE the considerable thespian powers of Cooper and a pretty solid Irons,not good.
I'm not even sure what the premise is...
first thirty minutes are good,though.
Just googled it:i disagree with IMDB,and agree with Rotten Tomatoes

Well good sir, we shall have to agree to disagree. I loved this movie and whether you write or not I think everyone in the entire universe should see this very finely tuned, well written, well acted little gem. Or, maybe that's just me. :cool:

The last film I watched was Louise-Michel (2008) a very dark (French) deadpan comedy. Disturbingly non-PC but very funny. Unemployed workers pool their redundancy money to hire a hit man to kill the guy who closed their factory. The man they hire to do the job is a total blowhard and can't even shoot a dog. The 'hitman' unable to do the job himself farms it out to a series of terminally ill people on the grounds that they have nothing to lose. The moment when the wheelchair-bound cancer sufferer fails to put the brakes on his chair, fires the shotgun, and is propelled backwards into the path of the oncoming tram is one of the funniest ("I shouldn't be laughing at this") moments I've seen in years.

We go to the cinema practically every Saturday, so the last we saw was Scorch Trials and then Legend. I actually enjoyed both. Giancarlo Esposito sure loves his teeth in the scenery, but he was facing stiff competition from Alan Tudyk. As for Tom Hardy - he is excellent in everything he does. His accent is more flexible than mine, he was great in Locke also.

Then at home it was rewatch Galaxy Quest for the umpteenth time.

Reactions: Hex
We go to the cinema practically every Saturday,

You lucky lucky bugger. It's an hour's drive to my nearest cinema. Two and half or three to the next nearest.

Tonight the kids and I watched the Marx Bros' Monkey Business. Not their best but amazing how their simple clowning can still entertain (my kids are aged 13, 11, and 6).

Indeed I'm lucky as they have an IMAX also!!! And a coffee shop where we're normally lurking for a few hours first writing before the film. We could go to the little one in town but we drive ~40m (give or take, with traffic) to the Metro because tiny screens with no leg room are no good for my six foot tall missus.

OH! That reminds me we need to book for the re-airing of the Back to the Future they're doing.

Hehehe. She'd love to know you said that ;) As I am a sneeze over five foot we look rather ridic together if I say so myself!

The Gorgon (1964)

Stylish and atmospheric Hammer film despite the odd premise that a creature from ancient Greek mythology inhabits the ruins of a castle in Germany in 1910. (More precisely, the spirit of the Gorgon possesses a woman in that place and time, causing her to transform into the monster during the full moon. Yes, there are undeniable similarities to The Wolf Man.) The film relies for its effect on mood rather than the rather simple plot. It won't surprise you that Barbara Shelley, the only major female character in the film, turns out to be the Gorgon. Peter Cushing plays a role similar to his work as Frankenstein (he even holds a human brain in his hands at one point) but with a heart which loves not wisely, but too well. Christopher Lee shows up late in the film, but is fun to watch as a sort of sarcastic Sherlock Holmes of a professor with a temper. (He's the Good Guy for once.) It's too bad Shelley doesn't get to play the Gorgon; it's some other actress in a nifty green gown, acceptable facial makeup, but laughably bad fake snakes for hair.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Tucker-and-dale-vs-evil.jpg

This movie is a lot of fun. I like how they make fun of how typically dumb teenagers are in horror movies and the role reversal was a nice touch.