What was the last movie you saw?

Hoops: Those are some wonderful films you've been watching (or are preparing to watch in at least one case, yes?). I'm a big fan of Milies, and would love to own more of his stuff (I'm lucky enough to own copies of a very small handful, including La Voyage dans la Lune -- wonderfully odd little film).

Have you ever watched Wegener's The Golem (1920)? Based (loosely) on Gustav Meyrink's novel, it is a truly magnificent piece of filmmaking, with some very effectively eerie moments.

And yes, that production of The Innocents is very much worth catching. A superb adaptation of Henry James' tale, which manages to both maintain the ambiguity as to the genuineness of the haunting and have a truly terrifying performance by Wyngarde as Peter Quint... even given his small amount of screen time and lack of dialogue! (He also puts in a very memorable performance in the film Burn, Witch, Burn, which is based, not on Merritt's novel of that title, but Fritz Leiber's Conjure Wife -- known in the UK as Night of the Eagle. A somewhat flawed film in some aspects, but nonetheless well worth seeing.) I'd highly recommend it, putting it up there with Robert Wise's production of The Haunting (1963) and Lewis Allen's film of The Uninvited (1944) as being among the best ghostly tales on film.

Oh, and I would also highly recommend Dreyer's Vampyr (1932, based loosely on J. Sheridan Le Fanu's superb tale "Carmilla") and Day of Wrath (1943)....

Myself... surprisingly, I have managed (albeit in fits and spurts) to view three films in the past 10 days: The Masque of the Red Death (Roger Corman, 1964 -- perhaps the best of his Poe adaptations, thanks in part to Beaumont's and Campbell's script and some fine performances; and a joy to the eye at the very least, thanks in part to Nicholas Roeg, who makes a much better cinematographer than director, in my opinion); The Crimson Cult (1968 -- poor Karloff and Lee!); and John Carpenter's The Thing (1982 -- despite its flaws, still a damn' fine film, and to me it really captures the atmosphere of Campbell's "Who Goes There?" beautifully... although without the somewhat optimistic ending JWC had).

Hoops: Those are some wonderful films you've been watching (or are preparing to watch in at least one case, yes?). I'm a big fan of Milies, and would love to own more of his stuff (I'm lucky enough to own copies of a very small handful, including La Voyage dans la Lune -- wonderfully odd little film).

Have you ever watched Wegener's The Golem (1920)? Based (loosely) on Gustav Meyrink's novel, it is a truly magnificent piece of filmmaking, with some very effectively eerie moments.

Oh, and I would also highly recommend Dreyer's Vampyr (1932, based loosely on J. Sheridan Le Fanu's superb tale "Carmilla") and Day of Wrath (1943)....

I managed to finish watching Nosferatu, which I really enjoyed -- when he pops up out of his coffin on the ship, wah! Such an atmospheric film. Still need to see Faust, haven't found time to do that yet.

The Golem was another one I was going to watch, but it all depends on finding them somewhere on the internet.

I'd also like to find The Man Who Laughs, because I rather liked Conrad Veidt in the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (loved the expressionist settings in that little film).

I have an ever-growing lists of films I need to see...

Posted yesterday but for some reason it didn't take (might have been the virus issue I experienced, should be fixed now).
X-men Origins; Wolverine; fair to good. Not bad for a sequel but not as good as the first movies.
Return to the House on Haunted Hill; not bad, again a sequel.
Stargate SG-1; Children of the Gods. Original broadcast pilot snagged this one to file with the other Stargate movies. Not bad; television production values.

Enjoy!

The Golem was another one I was going to watch, but it all depends on finding them somewhere on the internet.

I'd also like to find The Man Who Laughs, because I rather liked Conrad Veidt in the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (loved the expressionist settings in that little film).

I have an ever-growing lists of films I need to see...

Yes, I believe it is available on the 'net... though I'm not sure just where (likely several places, as it has long, iirc, been in public domain). As for The Man Who Laughs -- suffers a bit from coincidence and melodramatic license stretched too far toward the end, but that's a minor complaint about an otherwise magnificent film.

Or, as Ray Bradbury said about it nearly 20 years ago (after not having seen it since the silent era) "The darned thing still works!" It does, indeed....

(Incidentally, just as a bit of trivia: did you know that Jack P. Pierce, the man who created the most famed of the Universal Monsters -- with the exception of Chaney's Quasimodo and Phantom -- was also the one who created the makeup effects for Veidt in that film? Not to mention, of course, that the appearance of Gwynplaine also inspired Bob Kane when creating The Joker -- the last being a perhaps overly quoted fact, but it may add some interest as well....)

I would also suggest Leni's Waxworks -- an uneven film, but some parts of it are truly superb. Also his The Cat and the Canary, which influenced James Whale in parts. (Largely a combination of mystery, comedy, and melodrama, it has some very eerie moments in it, as well.)

The Black Cat, with Karloff and Lugosi, is also well worth seeing, as it is very influenced by the German Expressionist movement... not to mention it getting away with some very sly, nasty touches which, had the censors picked up on them, would have had them near burning down the studio....:rolleyes:)

If you can find it someplace, look for a documentary titled Universal Horror, by Kevin Brownlow, which is both a good deal of fun and very informative about several aspects of the early horror films; as well as his Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces, an excellent (and touching) tribute to the famed silent film star...

Yes, I believe it is available on the 'net... though I'm not sure just where (likely several places, as it has long, iirc, been in public domain). As for The Man Who Laughs -- suffers a bit from coincidence and melodramatic license stretched too far toward the end, but that's a minor complaint about an otherwise magnificent film.

I would also suggest Leni's Waxworks -- an uneven film, but some parts of it are truly superb. Also his The Cat and the Canary, which influenced James Whale in parts. (Largely a combination of mystery, comedy, and melodrama, it has some very eerie moments in it, as well.)

The Black Cat, with Karloff and Lugosi, is also well worth seeing, as it is very influenced by the German Expressionist movement... not to mention it getting away with some very sly, nasty touches which, had the censors picked up on them, would have had them near burning down the studio....:rolleyes:)

If you can find it someplace, look for a documentary titled Universal Horror, by Kevin Brownlow, which is both a good deal of fun and very informative about several aspects of the early horror films; as well as his Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces, an excellent (and touching) tribute to the famed silent film star...

Yes, The Cat and the Canary is another I have listed to watch. Telling you, I have loads to get through! Much appreciate the suggestions, will certainly be on the lookout for them. I am on the hunt for all that I can to fill in these terrible gaps I have. I really want to see The Man Who Laughs just to see Veidt again -- his movements and his face as he steps out of the cabinet in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is definitely one of the things that stays with me from that film.

I also hope to eventually reach the era of films with sound, too. And If I'm really good, I might be able to get onto colour! I know what you mean about The Masque of the Red Death, I'd really like to see that again. And also would like to see The Pit and the Pendulum with Price.

So many films.

The fact that a lot of them are public domain, though, makes my task a little easier.

Solaris, the 1972 version ... Why, why did i sit through it...WHY!:eek:

That film certainly seems to have a sharp divide in responses. Myself, the only problem I had with it was that long driving sequence (and even that I've seen a defense of). Otherwise, I found it a fascinating and disturbing film... and that last shot was like a punch in the gut, with the impact of its implications....

Oh, and yes, Hoops, most (not all, but most) of the Corman Poe films are worth seeing, despite their wide variance from the source material. They each have their own quirks and oddities (frequently of a tongue-in-cheek nature, sometimes of a quite grim and grisly one), but they're very interesting, nonetheless. And, if you've not seen it, try to catch Corman's (well, it's under his name, at any rate, though the directors included a young Francis Ford Coppola and Jack Nicholson, among others) The Terror (1963), which was filmed in (roughly) three days, using sets which had just been used from The Haunted Palace (in order to be connected to the Poe sequence; the actual story is taken from Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward).

The story is that Corman found he had use of the sets for those extra days and, always loath to not pinch every penny until it screamed, wept, and cried for mercy, decided to make another film with the materials (and some of the people) at hand. Some sources I've seen have it that it was The Raven which had just been finished -- which would make more sense, as it also featured Karloff and Nicholson, and the same sources cite that they were at Corman's disposal for those extra days.

Here's Wiki's bit on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(1963_film)

Wonky, seriously flawed film, but with some oddly compelling things to it.....

LOL... Sorry to be throwing out so many suggestions at once. It's just a case of one association leading to another, I'm afraid....:eek:

No, no, s'all good, you moose. And I keep doing the same; every time I watch one, I find even more that are queuing up behind it.

When it's not such a brain-frazzling hour, I shall be returning to note down all the suggestions here.

Halfway thru you get the message Insert Disk 2.
Very odd!

Early DVDs were single layer, so many movies needed 2 disks; I get the same thing with my copy of "Robin Hood Price of Thieves".

Today you get movies on dual layer dvds with double the capacity/runtime. Some dvd players will stutter for a split second when they automatically switch layers.

Enjoy!

Like here? (archive.org, the first stop for my public domain needs :))

Sadly the only film I have watched recent was a short planetarium demo. I'm convinced there was a borg cube that transformed into the rubik borg cube of death, at the end of it, but others just said it was an advertising logo.

Lat night alien 3 extended version; I liked it much better than the theatrical version, although it wasn't as polished, it answered many questions left open by the original.

Since I now have a netflix subscription; I'm going to try the other extended versions in this series.

Enjoy!

City Of Lost Children

It's been a long time since I've seen this. Forgotten how much I enjoyed this minor masterpiece until I watched it again. Wonderful:)

I've never seen that, but it's always been one of those films that i "Meant" to see.