What was the last movie you saw?

THE MONSTER CLUB 1981 - Some really bad songs detract but overall it is a pretty good trio of stories. It is often said Vincent Price established himself with younger audiences thanks to Michael Jackson--I don't think that is really true--he was already appearing in modern cultural venues--he is on a disco dance floor here and he was on the Muppets.
Brilliant film

Dune (2021): pretty good.

I recently watched MASH. It was the first time I had seen it. Probably watch it again. 7/10.
I saw half of that.

It was showing in a residential hall cafeteria. I got there at the last minute and the people in front of me were tall, so all I saw was the top half. I have vague plans to someday catch the other half.

NIGHT OF THE DEMON 1957 - I try to watch it every October on the 28th since it is the time of the events in the last 20 minutes.
One of my favorites.

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 1978 - Had not seen it before and I was thinking how ubiquitous women assassin movies are now. It has become so mainstream for Hollywood to do movies about women killing, in revenge etc. It's like baking cookies.
It's so common now. Considering that this film is among the first--I will just say that it is actually well-made despite the unpleasant subjective matter. There is no glamorous depiction to it--the actress is professional and yet almost anorexic-- there's nothing erotic about it.
The revenge is also done in a more thoughtful way than one would expect--we see that one of the rapists is a father, and they are not cartoonish in their behavior. Roger Ebert really slammed the film but I think he is wrong to suggest it was made without artistic ability or attempt. The most shocking scene is the castration in the bath tub and it is disturbing-not just because of the act, but how it is done--it seems so realistic--the victim is not immediately aware that it has happened--and then blood starts gushing in a bubble bath.
Perhaps what is is so disturbing is that the revenge is meditative. It feels so calculated--but I am not sure I would call it exploitation--it seems to me it was not done for the purpose of entertainment. But it doesn't serve as educational either. The behavior of the woman doesn't seen natural though-in order to get revenge she basically prostitutes herself. That is not realistic or traditional. If she was presented as insane--then ok-but we get no sense of that.

I don't have an interest in rewatching it (or any of the sequels or remakes), but I can see how influential it was--or foreshadowed a trend that is all too common now.
What surprises me is how good the acting is--there are very expensive movies today that appear to put less effort into performance that this one did. It doesn't seem like a good thing to say I Spit On Your Grave had better performances than "studio family film number 3."

Last edited:
Night of the Demon is one of my favourite films. Scared the bejessus out of me the first time I saw it [I was very young]. Now I just revel in my enjoyment.

I always finding something new to like in it.

It is amazing how intense the film is--and the voices are so distinctive.

"And the demon took him! Not me!"

It's a very effective movie.

I agree but I haven't seen it in years. It inspired Roky Erickson to write a lot of rather freaky songs that I also enjoy.

I have a book on the making of it. The filmmakers didn't want Niall MacGinnis or Peggy Cummins. Dana Andrews arrived drunk and fell down the steps of the airplane.

There's a lot of debate about whether the director wanted the demon to be seen or proven to be real but the movie would be impossible without that proof. Why would Harrington drive into a utility pole?
I think they could have kept the demon under wraps until the final scene though. Not show it explicitly like they do at the start but otherwise I think most of the demon shots are good. Maybe some more smoke around it would have helped it age better. The Keep has a good effect with a column of smoke around the creature. Once they remove it, egads the creature looks like any rubber monster costume.

Horse Girl (2020) on Netflix. Is the heroine really getting abducted by aliens or is she suffering from schizophrenia as her late mother did? It seems the latter angle is what they were going for. I can relate somewhat, having schizoaffective disorder.

Two movies I avoided watching when they came out.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 1989--I figured it would be Freddy Kreuger does opera--and there's an element of that, especially by the end. I think Robert Englund isn't intense enough to carry a horror role like Erik the Phantom. In fact, the most intriguing actor in it--I didn't recognize him--Bill Nighy and the police inspector is the most interesting character. But, there are times I think Dracula 92 should have used some pointers from this film-it didn't look as set-bound as that one did.

THE PIT AND PENDULUM 1991 is a more successful affair. Lance Henricksen is very intense as the grand inquisitor. The way the witch uses gunpowder to get revenge on the people who burn her is memorable--but the trouble I have with Stuart Gordon films is that while he casts the movies very well--some of the humor undermines any chance to take the story seriously. That's the case here.

THE BEAST MUST DIE (1952) After his young son is killed by a hit & run driver, a men sets out to find & kill the driver. Argentine made in Spanish with subs, some of which are very difficult to read, given what lies behind them. But, a very good film. Oh, also, it was NOIR ALLEY, & Muller's comments made it that much better. Highly recommended!

UNFORGIVEN (1992) Seems strange that I, being a fan of Clint Eastwood, would have waited until now to see this. There was a good long intro before the film, & even a short documentary also. Clint Eastwood using a double action revolver that is not a 44 magnum!?

Interesting when comparing it to the Dollars trilogy, what, with the single action Colts and fanning the hammers, etc. Hackman's character was explaining the difference between fast draw & accuracy. Seems the latter was not an issue in the Spaghetti Westerns. Interesting film.

Two with Vincent Price:

THE ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES (1971) Long time, no see Doc! I cannot recall the last time, but this was /is a fun film! Basing his revenge scheme on the ten plagues on Egypt, Phibes goes about killing anyone who had been involved on his late wife's surgery that failed to save her life. My favorite is the frog mask for the psychiatrist who had just called himself "a head shrinker." :ROFLMAO:

TOMB OF LIGEIA (1964) Not one of my favorite VP films, but, it has been very long since I last saw it. Ligeia is dead and buried, or is she? VP's character does not seem loony, but he just might be. The fun does not start until near the end, but it is fun!

Curse of the Stone Hand (1965)

Schlockmeister Jerry Warren chopped up two Chilean films of the 1940's, added some new footage, and came up with this incoherent mess. There's some nonsense about a statue of a hand that curses everybody in a house, leading to our two stories, an adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Suicide Club," and a family melodrama about a guy in love with the wife of his nasty brother. Bad dubbing and bombastic music don't help, but at least you can tell the original movies were nicely filmed.

Psycho From Texas (1975) aka Wheeler and a bunch of other titles

Low-budget Southern-fried crime film disguised as a horror movie. Our anti-hero is Wheeler (no other name, he says at one point.) He shows up in some small town, meets an older guy and his adult daughter. As fate would have it, the older fellow is the guy that Wheeler is being hired to kidnap, along with a saner but less intelligent creep named Slick. Flashbacks show a dead woman covered with blood, apparently killed by Wheeler, and Wheeler as a little kid being traumatized by seeing his mother go to bed with some guy who gives her a pair of stockings. Slick and Wheeler kidnap the man and take him to a shack out in the boonies. While Wheeler goes off to cash the check they forced the victim to write, Slick stupidly lets the man escape. A really, really long foot chase follows, through fields, swamps, woods, etc. Intercut with this endless sequence are scenes of Wheeler drinking beer, eating Kentucky Fried Chicken, trying to buy marijuana, and, in the sleaziest scene, added some time after the film was first made, knocking out some guy in a bar and forcing the barmaid (future Scream Queen Linnea Quigley) to strip naked and dance while he pours beer on her. Quigley looks really unhappy with this early role. Eventually people get killed. Not a good movie.

Night of the Demon (1957)? An incredible film, in that the film sticks with the viewer long after. I believe one of the strongest elements of the production is the fact that the writers and producers have really researched the mythology and that shows throughout.

THE BEAST MUST DIE (1952) After his young son is killed by a hit & run driver, a men sets out to find & kill the driver. Argentine made in Spanish with subs, some of which are very difficult to read, given what lies behind them. But, a very good film. Oh, also, it was NOIR ALLEY, & Muller's comments made it that much better. Highly recommended!

UNFORGIVEN (1992) Seems strange that I, being a fan of Clint Eastwood, would have waited until now to see this. There was a good long intro before the film, & even a short documentary also. Clint Eastwood using a double action revolver that is not a 44 magnum!?

Interesting when comparing it to the Dollars trilogy, what, with the single action Colts and fanning the hammers, etc. Hackman's character was explaining the difference between fast draw & accuracy. Seems the latter was not an issue in the Spaghetti Westerns. Interesting film.
I learned yesterday that the word Magum refers to the bullet size, not the gun. A magnum is a bullet with a wider bore than usual. I don't know if they had .357 and .44 magnum bullets back then...

Return of the Killer Shrews 2012-- yeah they are back and this is a total send-up, tho it does connect back to the 1959 original classic bit of fluff, via one of the old guys who take our cast of moronic reality TV show makers to the cursed island on his boat. The Shrews... well they are CGI shrews and they are true to the original, meaning they look like dogs with shrew makeup on.
If you like cheese, and corn, this is recommended viewing, it's pretty funny.

We saw Free Guy last night and it was enjoyable, but clearly made for online gamers (of which I am not one.) Overall a smiley meh.

I watched a 1974 documentary the Horror Hall of Fame which was hosted by Vincent Price. It had such bad jokes even he made a comment about how bad they were.

INSEMINOID 1981 -- Been curious about it since the mid 80s.
I didn't miss much.
A cheap ALIEN rip off with electronic keyboard music though Judy Geeson can really scream.