What was the last movie you saw?

Beneath Loch Ness [2002]
It is not so bad it is good. It is just plain bad. Filmed nowhere near Europe [liet alone Scotland] in a land where every "local" has an Irish accent and Scotland has a National Guard [it doesn't]. The special effects are not at all special. The acting is worse and forget the plot, it is almost an event for event rip off of Jaws with some added McGuffin about undersea fissures and long lost prehistoric creatures. So why did I watch it? I don't know but spotting the lines from other films was almost fun..

I think that KING KONG might be about the size of GODZILLA's foot. No contest who wins in that fight. 300 to 400 feet tall Vs. 30 to 40 feet tall. :giggle:

As I recall, King Kong's size was variable from movie to movie. Sometimes from scene to scene.

I think that KING KONG might be about the size of GODZILLA's foot. No contest who wins in that fight. 300 to 400 feet tall Vs. 30 to 40 feet tall. :giggle:
I had heard that in the original (1962) version King Kong vs. Godzilla the US version had Kong winning and in the Japanese Godzilla was the winner. Checking it out, (Wikipedia) I see that this was a myth originated in Spacemen magazine, a spinoff of Famous Monsters of Filmland. A shame. I always liked the idea.

The last movie that I saw was Hud, which I watched in memory of Larry McMurtry. Parenthetically, he had the largest privately owned bookstore, numbering in excess of 400,000 volumes. His personal collection numbered a paltry 30,000 books.
1617302837190.png

Also watched Troll Bridge, a lovely Terry Pratchett fan film, with great CGI. Sweet.
LINK to trailer. It's on YouTube.

Last edited:
"You've Ruined Me Eddie!" AKA The Touch of Flesh (1958)

Wild exploitation film doesn't waste any time jumping into its sleazy, violent, and surprisingly complex plot. We first meet our anti-heroine dancing to rock 'n' roll in her skimpy baby doll pajamas, a scene we'll see again later. Cut to her passionately smooching a guy in the woods. Cut to them on the ground, she putting her blouse and shorts back on. She tells him she's pregnant. He wants to marry her and keep the baby, she doesn't want any of that. Back at the mansion of her rich, widowed father, the family lawyer eavesdrops on a telephone call and learns about her delicate condition. He arranges to have the boy thrown in jail on a completely phony robbery charge, so he can blackmail the rich guy into some kind of lucrative land deal. His only alibi is a woman new in town, who refuses to say anything. Turns out she's there to claim her illegitimate child from the local orphanage and doesn't want to mess things up for herself. (By the way, the boy and the nasty local cop who beats him savagely while he's in jail are also illegitimate!) The woman's lawyer shows up and screams at the boy until he finds out he really does want to raise the baby, not get money from the rich man. (There's a lot of screaming in this film.) At least half-insane by this point, and absolutely determined not to have the baby, our anti-heroine chases the boy through the swamp, dressed only in a filmy raincoat over her baby doll pajamas, firing a gun at him. Don't expect a happy ending. Wow, this Southern Fried Grindhouse Film really delivers the goods. You even get an uncensored close-up of the famous Marilyn Monroe nude pin-up.

Satan's Cheerleaders (1977)

After wasting some time as a lame teen (translation: actors in their mid-twenties) sex comedy, the plot finally gets going. Four sex-crazed high school cheerleaders and their naïve PE teacher are on their way to the Big Game. The creepy janitor, who previously spied on the girls in the shower -- even so, this R-rated film barely (pun intended) deserves a PG -- is a devil worshipper. He uses black magic to cause the car they're in to break down, so they have to hop into his van. He drives them to a stone altar near a lion head statue with horns. Somehow one of the cheerleaders is instantly naked on the altar, but Satan pulls a fast one and zaps the janitor instead. The teacher and cheerleaders wind up at the house of the local devil worshipping sheriff and his wife. (John Ireland and Yvonne De Carlo!) Along the way, we get a couple of brief scenes of Very Special Guest Star John Carradine as a bum. Watching the nubile girls sexually tease the seventy-year-old actor is one of the, uh, highlights of the film. Anyway, De Carlo figures out that one cheerleader has The Power, but Ireland ignores her warning. In a plot point of extreme bad taste for such a goofy movie, the Satanists need a "maiden" for their sacrifice. None of the lecherous cheerleaders qualify, of course, and Ireland messed up his only chance when he raped the PE teacher. This causes the cheerleader with The Power, now apparently the spokeswoman for the Prince of Darkness, to turn the tables on him. Wearing a pentacle over her cheerleader outfit, it also allows her to win the Big Game. Add a couple of really bad disco songs on the soundtrack, and you've got a painful experience indeed.

Delinquent Parents (1938)

Despite the title, more of a drama than an exploitation film. Begins on Armistice Day, 1918. Guy in uniform is happy that he won't have to go to war, and so is the woman he secretly married. Given all the booze with which everybody is celebrating, it's no surprise that they wind up in a car wreck. The guy is OK, and the gal isn't seriously hurt, but the secret that she's pregnant comes out. The guy takes off, the gal's parents get the marriage annulled and arrange to have the baby adopted. Cut to 1938. The adopted girl finds out she's adopted, changes from Good Girl to Bad Girl, earning a living singing at a nightclub run by crooks. Turns out her birth mother is now a judge. What with one complication and another, they wind up together as the judge fights to shut down the nightclub. A criminal bigwig holds the adoption scandal over her head as blackmail. It's an OK low budget tearjerker, barely an hour long. Most notable for me was the party scene, when a bunch of young folks do the Big Apple. I had no idea it was sort of a swing square dance.

WHO IS THE BLACK DAHLIA? 1975 - Tv-movie about the famous murder case--creepy at times--especially as the details of it are revealed--they only give you brief glimpses of the body for understandable reasons. Starring Luci Arnaz as the title character. Cult film regular Sid Haig appears as a tattoo artist--the scene was suggesting how she was being sucked into the underbelly of Los Angeles--how tattoos have changed in their social acceptance.

AUTOMAN 1983 pilot movie. I haven't seen this since the 80s. While it is not a good movie by the normal definition, it makes up for its failings by the sheer audacity of its concept--a rather clever rip-off of TRON--refashioned as a superhero cop show. The movies VIRTUOSITY and LAWNMOWER MAN were probably influenced by it. Desi Arnaz Jr stars (what a coincidence--his sister was in the other movie--in fact, who shows up later as a gang member? Sid Haig!) and he creates the perfect being via his 1980s modem-controlled computer system. Automan is a lot like Peter Pan, but instead of Tinkerbell we have Cursor, his digital pixie assistant who can create anything from electrical devices. While Automan can do anything (he also has the combined personalities of Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, and a host of other celebrities like Richard Burton, Christopher Reeve, Paul Newman, Tom Selleck etc. don't ask me why--but we their pictures--also Automan, we are told, is good friends with Pac-man). A Glen A Larson production--and like Battlestar Galactica--an inspired rip off of another more famous story concept but it just does not have all it takes to be a complete success. It's hokey and silly --as guest star Patrick Macnee says "I can't believe this ridiculous drivel." But I was smiling while I watched.

WHO IS THE BLACK DAHLIA? 1975 - Tv-movie about the famous murder case--creepy at times--especially as the details of it are revealed--they only give you brief glimpses of the body for understandable reasons. Starring Luci Arnaz as the title character. Cult film regular Sid Haig appears as a tattoo artist--the scene was suggesting how she was being sucked into the underbelly of Los Angeles--how tattoos have changed in their social acceptance.

AUTOMAN 1983 pilot movie. I haven't seen this since the 80s. While it is not a good movie by the normal definition, it makes up for its failings by the sheer audacity of its concept--a rather clever rip-off of TRON--refashioned as a superhero cop show. The movies VIRTUOSITY and LAWNMOWER MAN were probably influenced by it. Desi Arnaz Jr stars (what a coincidence--his sister was in the other movie--in fact, who shows up later as a gang member? Sid Haig!) and he creates the perfect being via his 1980s modem-controlled computer system. Automan is a lot like Peter Pan, but instead of Tinkerbell we have Cursor, his digital pixie assistant who can create anything from electrical devices. While Automan can do anything (he also has the combined personalities of Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, and a host of other celebrities like Richard Burton, Christopher Reeve, Paul Newman, Tom Selleck etc. don't ask me why--but we their pictures--also Automan, we are told, is good friends with Pac-man). A Glen A Larson production--and like Battlestar Galactica--an inspired rip off of another more famous story concept but it just does not have all it takes to be a complete success. It's hokey and silly --as guest star Patrick Macnee says "I can't believe this ridiculous drivel." But I was smiling while I watched.
Automan! That dredged up some 1980s memories. I really enjoyed the tv show back in the day. It was on at the same time as Manimal, Blue Thunder, Airwolf, and a motorbike version of those two the name of which escapes me.

re: Black Dahlia. The James Ellroy book of the same name is terrific.

Captain Alatriste, The Spanish Musketeer
A Spanish movie with English subtitles. Viggo Mortenson stars in the eponymous role.
A movie set in the early 1600s against a backdrop of almost constant war in Flanders and the threat of the Inquisition back in Spain. Meanwhile, Richleau’s machinations in Paris leads Spain and France on a long path towards war. In between campaigns in Flanders, Alatriste survives in Madrid as a sword for hire, dealing with unsavoury tasks and characters for various factions of the nobility.

By the midpoint of this movie, I was completely lost. I had no idea what the actual plot was and I seemed to be watching a series of unrelated events. This film does have it’s good points. It looks authentic and, towards the end, we see the battle of Rocroi in 1643. I found this section particularly interesting as we get to see what it must have been like to be a soldier within a Spanish Tercio. It must have been a truly terrifying experience.

Perhaps worth watching for anybody with an interest in this time period. Just don’t expect to fully understand what is going on.

Tried to watch Wonder Woman (the 2017 film) for about the third time but gave up at the plotting-in-the-pub scene. I know it was designed to have a 1918 dull sepia cast to it, but I find it far too overdone. It's like peering through a curtain of oxtail soup...

Tried to watch Wonder Woman (the 2017 film) for about the third time but gave up at the plotting-in-the-pub scene. I know it was designed to have a 1918 dull sepia cast to it, but I find it far too overdone. It's like peering through a curtain of oxtail soup...
Agreed. Even so, it is miles better than the recent sequel.

Jacob’s Ladder (1990) is a movie about a war veteran suffering with PTSD and haunted by demons caused by the use of a drug meant to inhibit fear in soldiers. It is reported that The U.S. Army used a drug BZ in Vietnam, but the Pentagon denies it. This movie heavily influenced horror games, most notably Silent Hill and, more recently, The Evil Within. The spooky asylums, the old brick walls, the filthy streets… The aesthetic is the same. Although it also influenced movies known for their plot twists, like Seven (1995) and Sixth Sense (1999), the journey is more important than the ending in Jacob’s Ladder.

I'm going to check out UFO: Target Earth tonight. Thanks Victoria!
Quartermass! I have that move. I loved that one too.
The last movie I saw was last night, Condor by Stan Lee. You asked. I watch a movie a day or two.

Karate Hand of Death (1961)

That's how the title appears on the screen, although there should probably be a comma or a colon after the first word. Anyway, this is said to be the first American film to feature the martial art mentioned in the title. It's also a cheap little snoozer. Starts with an elderly blind man and a guy leading him around, somewhere in Japan at night. The guide runs off to catch a taxi, somebody karate chops the blind man to death and grabs a coin he's wearing on a medallion around his neck. Cut to the opening titles which are, hilariously, written on slabs of plywood that some karate guys smash with their hands, elbows and feet. Back at the movie, an American guy walks around and has his wallet stolen. It's found pretty quickly, with all his stuff in it, plus, you guessed it, the coin the blind man had. This draws the attention of a very tall, heavy-set, rather fey British fellow who tries to be our movie's Sydney Greenstreet. Meanwhile, we get our back story. The American grew up in Japan, became a karate expert, then fought on the Allied side in World War Two. A flashback shows him using karate to kill three armed Japanese soldiers, one of whom tried to surrender to him! He's back in Japan after eighteen years because the woman he loved, and who died soon thereafter, shows up alive in a recent photograph. In an anticlimax, it turns out the photo is of her look-alike sister. It turns out that the coin is somehow the clue to how the blind man, a Nazi, hid one million dollars in platinum. Along the way, we get a long scene in which karate is demonstrated at a dojo, with the British fellow asking a bunch of questions, and a striptease act at a nightclub. It's amazing how convoluted and confusing the plot is, given the short running time and all the padding. It's also amazing how little use of karate there is, outside of the documentary-like scene at the dojo, and how unconvincing the hero's use of it is. Filmed in Japan, with lots of Japanese actors, so you get to see the place as it was circa 1960. Not an exciting film.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

One of my favourite MCU films. The choreography of the fight scenes is excellent, the character moments are strong, and the acting is solid. I watched it with my dad, whose only previous MCU film is Ant Man, and he enjoyed it too.

Return of the Living Dead

Many years since I've seen this movie, and tbh I wasn't expecting much, but it's even more enjoyable now than it was back then. Has some brilliantly funny moments (although not for children, as some nudity and bad language) and references the earlier Night of the Living Dead. It also adds another dimension in that the 'living dead' can think and speak (and are much more resilient than in most zombie movies).

If you like zombie movies or you like properly funny horror movies (think Evil Dead II and III) then this movie is well worth watching..

Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967)

The "hillbillys" (sic!) are actually a country singer, his blonde, curvaceous co-star, and their manager. You can tell he's the comedy relief (in a comedy!) because his name is Jeepers and he constantly acts nervous, in a Don Knotts kind of way. They're driving along in one of those big, fancy cars decorated with fake guns and rifles, and a big pair of longhorn cattle horns on the front. They run into a gun battle between cops and a couple of spies. It seems that the local metropolis, Acme City, has a missile plant, and there are spies all over the place. Well, our trio winds up in the tiny community of Sleepy Junction, with no place to stay but the local abandoned mansion, which is said to be, you guessed it, haunted. Down in the cellar are Lon Chaney, Jr., John Carradine, and Basil Rathbone, along with a boss lady named Madame Wong, a gorilla named Anatole, and a bunch of electronic equipment. Of course, they're spies, and are faking the haunting stuff to cover up their activities. A whole bunch of country songs and supposedly comic antics follow. There's also a real ghost, very briefly. The Good Guy spies work for M.O.T.H.E.R. (Master Organization to Halt Enemy Resistance.) The comedy relief gets to say "weirdwolf" for "werewolf." The biggest country star in this thing, Merle Haggard, shows up on the television the three dragged into the mansion. After an hour of this nonsense, we get a full twenty minutes of a country music concert. The End. Amazingly, this is actually a sequel, to the equally misspelt Las Vegas Hillbillys.