What was the last movie you saw?

The Event Horizon 1997. Staring Sam Neil , Lawrence Fishburne , Sean Pertwee. A very nasty and dark science Fiction film about about an Earth ship, the Event Horizon which mysterious disappeared down a dimensional gateway on its maiden voyage and reappears 7 years later , the crew with exception of one horribly mutilated corpse on the bridge of the ship, has vanished. A ship from earth comes to investigate the mystery of where the sho has been for the last 7 years. What stye quickly finds is that it has been to a dimension ruled by chaos and its boring something back form that place. This is a really good science fiction horror film . :cool:

"Spectral spoilage" Funny thing, sometimes I find myself scrutinizing everything, but not this time. Now that you mention it, yes, there were characters who resemble some from Aliens. Butt with all the stories out there, is it surprising that newer films remind us of older ones?

The Alligator People (1959)

Fair-to-middling monster movie. Under hypnosis, a woman (B favorite Beverly Garland) reveals the horrible experience she has repressed. It seems that her husband disappeared when he got a mysterious telegram while they were on a train going away on their honeymoon. She tracks him down to a mansion way down in the Louisiana swampland. Eventually she finds out her husband, who survived a terrible plane crash before their marriage, was healed by Mad Science, and he's developing scaly skin and a raspy voice. The plot moves slowly, and has the feeling of a Gothic mystery until the very end, when the husband goes into full Alligator Person mode. Along for the fun is Lon Chaney, Jr., as a swamp rat who lost his hand to an alligator, so he goes around shooting them.
:ROFLMAO::LOL: I loved that film, though it should have been named Alligator Man.
when the title character submerges in the quicksand, I was sure he went under rather abruptly. I thought it was because he could not tell when the muck would spill into the open mouth of the 'mask'; but upon a 2nd viewing, could see no such dunking.:D

Last edited:
Wonder Woman, which I had planned to see when it was in the theaters but never did.

I liked it, liked Gal Gadot in the part, and there were a few particularly memorable scenes, but it didn't impress me nearly as much as I had expected it to, given all the hoopla about it.

The main thought that I took away was how soulless most super-hero movies must be these days if this one was regarded as so profound.

Wonder Woman, which I had planned to see when it was in the theaters but never did.

I liked it, liked Gal Gadot in the part, and there were a few particularly memorable scenes, but it didn't impress me nearly as much as I had expected it to, given all the hoopla about it.

The main thought that I took away was how soulless most super-hero movies must be these days if this one was regarded as so profound.

I think that in the long run , That is going to diminish the Box office success of these films.

Flesh and the Spur (1956)

Passable B Western which I watched mostly because it features the talents of many of the folks associated with the kind of old movies to which I usually subject myself.

Director Edward L. Cahn (The Creature with the Atom Brain, It! The Terror From Beyond Space, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, etc.) offers a film with a screenplay by Charles B. Griffith (It Conquered the World, Not of This Earth, The Little Shop of Horrors, etc.) and a few other folks.

A guy escapes from prison, killing a man in order to steal his horse and gun. The dead man has a twin brother, played by John Agar (The Mole People, The Brain from the Planet Arous, Zontar, the Thing from Venus, etc.) It seems that the brothers owned a pair of identical, very unusual handguns, so Agar goes looking for whoever has the other one. Along the way he runs into another guy, played by Touch (later Mike) Conners (Day the World Ended, Voodoo Woman, etc.) tracking down the same gang of criminals as the one involved with the escapee. The pair team up with an Indian woman, played by the extremely un-Indian Marla English (The She Creature, etc.) who is also after the crooks for her all reasons. Later a snake oil salesman, his daughter, and another woman join forces with them.

Some interesting characters, a few unusual touches (a barroom fight with spurs used like knives,) a twist ending you'll see coming a mile away, and a bunch of typical Western stuff.

Flesh and the Spur (1956)

Passable B Western which I watched mostly because it features the talents of many of the folks associated with the kind of old movies to which I usually subject myself.

Director Edward L. Cahn (The Creature with the Atom Brain, It! The Terror From Beyond Space, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, etc.) offers a film with a screenplay by Charles B. Griffith (It Conquered the World, Not of This Earth, The Little Shop of Horrors, etc.) and a few other folks.

A guy escapes from prison, killing a man in order to steal his horse and gun. The dead man has a twin brother, played by John Agar (The Mole People, The Brain from the Planet Arous, Zontar, the Thing from Venus, etc.) It seems that the brothers owned a pair of identical, very unusual handguns, so Agar goes looking for whoever has the other one. Along the way he runs into another guy, played by Touch (later Mike) Conners (Day the World Ended, Voodoo Woman, etc.) tracking down the same gang of criminals as the one involved with the escapee. The pair team up with an Indian woman, played by the extremely un-Indian Marla English (The She Creature, etc.) who is also after the crooks for her all reasons. Later a snake oil salesman, his daughter, and another woman join forces with them.

Some interesting characters, a few unusual touches (a barroom fight with spurs used like knives) and a bunch of typical Western stuff.

Ive seen all of those. The Four Skull of Johnathan Drake is little remembered , but its a classic. :)

It the Terror From Beyond Space was written by Science writer Jerome Bixby and was one the inspirations for the film Alien. It was also the last acting job of Ray Crash Corrigan(Undersea Kingdom) who played the monster. :)

I very much enjoyed Justice League...more than Thor: Ragnarok, although that was not bad. JL largely turns on communications among the characters, on their learning to like each other -- and that was very well done indeed!

I found The Dark Tower just -- pointless.

As for this new version of Murder on the Orient Express: the few exterior shots, such as the city of Istanbul, and the snow-covered mountains, were very good indeed. But as usual with that story, the film is all about the inside of the train cars, and those were masterpieces of design -- in fact, I'd say the entire film was eye-candy.
The story was just the same old story, with a few efforts to freshen it (they largely failed).
The actors were good, but I found Kenneth Branagh a failure: his Poirot failed to capture either the meticulous fussiness of Hercule, or his skill at manipulation of others. (KB's version is, however, better than Albert Finney's version, though; that was nearly incoherent!).

I very much enjoyed Justice League...more than Thor: Ragnarok, although that was not bad. JL largely turns on communications among the characters, on their learning to like each other -- and that was very well done indeed!

I found The Dark Tower just -- pointless.

As for this new version of Murder on the Orient Express: the few exterior shots, such as the city of Istanbul, and the snow-covered mountains, were very good indeed. But as usual with that story, the film is all about the inside of the train cars, and those were masterpieces of design -- in fact, I'd say the entire film was eye-candy.
The story was just the same old story, with a few efforts to freshen it (they largely failed).
The actors were good, but I found Kenneth Branagh a failure: his Poirot failed to capture either the meticulous fussiness of Hercule, or his skill at manipulation of others. (KB's version is, however, better than Albert Finney's version, though; that was nearly incoherent!).

All movies on my list waiting for them to come out.

"characters who resemble some from Aliens" Oh jeez they ran the whole sequence. The marines, the music, the vehicle. Going in, the weak commander, hit on head, the little girl... "pull your team out" that's blatant as it gets, it went on for at least 15 min. Other movies have done this as well, plagiarized the style if not the actual sequences, call it a tribute if you like, I found it ruined a potential good monster movie. I prefer The Alligator People, which Victoria just critiqued, at least it was fully original rubbish. For that matter Beast of Yucca Flats had both laughs AND nudity, but don't go watching for just that reason.

Justice League hit it out of the park. Considering the production problems encountered by this film I'm amazed at how good it was. After the disaster of Batman VS Superman DC finally got their crap together. Zak Snyder's best film in years.

:oops: Now that I think about it, yeah, Spectral does have those elements. But at least its not like what Last Man Standing did with Fist Full of Dollars. For that matter what Fist did with Yojimbo. :ROFLMAO: But it has been many years since I watched Aliens; kinda turned off by the later sequels.

:eek: The Beast of Yucca Flats, made in 1961 has nudity?

Just watched Disney's live action Robin Hood; pretty good version, except
the part in which M. Marian dresses as a man, and fools everyone. Very unlikely!
Also Disney's Zorro, which was cobbled together from TV episodes.

Last edited:
Breathe (1917)

The most outstanding British drama of the last couple of years tells the story of a young man with a pregnant wife struck down by polio. Paralysed from the neck down he is kept alive by a ventilator. This could so easily been a dire film but a great script and a flawless performance from Andrew Garfield elevated this great film to another level. If Garfiield doesn't get an Oscar for his performance it will be a travesty. Ten out of ten. See it.

Sounds pretty advanced for a film made a century ago. (I kid, I kid ...)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Night Fright (1967)

John Agar stars in this dreary little microbudget monster movie. We begin in classic fashion with two young people making out in a parked car in the middle of nowhere. The romantic music on the car radio is interrupted by a news bulletin, telling us that the glowing object that fell in the area an hour ago has not been located. (Why have a bulletin?) An unseen something attacks the folks. Cut to a young man showing up at his girlfriend's sorority house. They go out into the woods, walk around, get scared (but not attacked) by the unseen something. More than ten minutes into the film, we get our opening titles. Some unseen "government men" prevent the local sheriff from getting near the object that fell to Earth, but let him go check out the murdered couple. (The woman is dead on the spot, the man, we're told but not shown, dies in the hospital.) Sheriff, deputy, and a reporter walk around, find a big three-toed footprint. The local science professor (who knows more than they think) and the deputy agree the print looks like a giant alligator walking on two feet. Well, lots of scenes of driving around and some other young folks dancing by a lake at night follow. The night scenes are so dark you can hardly see what's going on. We find out what the glowing object is, what the unseen something is (which doesn't explain why it looks like a guy in a Bigfoot costume), it gets destroyed pretty easily, the end. Notable for the cleancut young folks and other mid-60's nostalgia.