What was the last movie you saw?

The Last Witch Hunter

I quite enjoyed this! It was nice to see a film about solving problems, not just about hitting or shooting things. Big logic hole, though, so only...

3/5.

"Infernal Affairs" (2002, Hong Kong)

Taking a break from my Eastwood filmfest for a couple of days, I thought I'd try something with a more Asian flavour.

Step forward, the critically acclaimed, Infernal Affairs, a really thought-provoking and totally engrossing police crime story set in the streets of Downtown Hong-Kong just a few years prior to the country being handed over to the Chinese from British rule in 1997.

The story is quite novel involving an undercover cop infiltrating a known mob gang, while at the same time a high-ranking hood from the same mob works his way through the ranks of the same police force. Both serving as moles for their respective organisations, and have done so for many years in order to win the trust of their respective bosses so as to glean important information about jobs and operations; and both are aware that there's a mole but neither knows the identity of said agent.

As the years pass both men begin to lose the purpose or intent of what they're there for. The gangster is now very highly respected in the police force, achieving promotions on a regular basis. He is happy with his life and the legal respect he gets from all around him. And yet he still has to leak information about what the police know of his gang's operations to his boss.

Similarly the undercover cop working for the same mob continues to walk the fine line between keeping both bosses happy, realising that one mistake could cost him his life. So much so that he wants to come in from the cold and return to his former life as an ordinary police detective. But will his boss let him?

A great story, excellent direction, superb acting performances, slick camerawork and a great ending makes this an incredible film both visually and at a cerebral level. You have to concentrate on what is going on every minute, complicated somewhat by having to read the subtitles, which can be a distraction as you try to digest what is happening on-screen.

The film was a big hit in its native Hong Kong - so much so a prequel and sequel were made, which ties up some loose ends and adds some back story too. And because of its huge success Hollywood remade it for a Western audience and called it "The Departed"- which is good, but no where near as satisfying.

4.5/5

Europa Report (2013)

The problem with this film is that it tried to mimic a documentary, following a spaceship crew on a mission of discovery to Jupiter's moon Europa. Unfortunately, the one thing actors can't seem to do is act "normal": Thus, the documentary affect was unsuccessful.

But during the action sequences, we see the acting improve. Too bad you need the first half of this film to understand the second, or I'd suggest skipping to the middle! The times they fall back into "Documentary Mode", unfortunately adversely affects the second half, as well.

Overall, it was a very interesting movie. But I still wouldn't recommend it.

Okay, I just started watching Synchronicity. I've no intention to review it, because I doubt I'll get through it.

First: What the <blankety-blank> is a 2015 movie about the opening of "the first wormhole in the space-time continuum" doing using such outdated science equipment? Dials? Needle-type gauges? Are you kidding me?! The man in charge of the experiment is even recording his notes on a reel-to-reel!!

Second: In just the first ten minutes, three actors proved they don't deserve that title.

Is this a spoof? I certainly hope so!

Harold Lloyd - Speedy 1928. If you haven't seen these late-20s silents, do yourself a favor. This one features the usual action and great characters and music. Babe Ruth appears as a victim of Lloyd's cabdriving skills. *****

Oh, was that the one used as the video to Summer in the City in that thread a week or two back?

Hannibal (1959) Mediocre account of Hannibal's conflict with Rome during the second Punic War. Apparently the film was meant to be a more historical account of Hannibal's life but studio pressure resulted in the fairly standard historical piece complete with love interest (provided by Rita Gam as the niece of Fabius Maximus).

One question: why is it that whatever part he plays and no matter what the historical setting, Victor Mature always looks like he's wearing Brylcreem?

Hey, how about that HB - it was. It is. Wattayaknow? Who knew? I also watched Safety Last, I think more people are familiar with that one.

"Dirty Harry" (1971)

When I first saw this Clint Eastwood film way back in the late 70s, I thought how incredibly cool and awesome Eastwood was as the renegade cop, Harry Callaghan, in hot pursuit of a serial killer across the streets of San Francisco. In fact I recall giving the film 4 stars out of 5 back then purely because of the action sequences and the no-nonsense, uber-cool behaviour of Eastwood throughout the film.

However, some 40 years on to the here and now, and I have to say my appreciation for this film has waned not so much by ripples, but tsunami proportions!

Harry Callaghan is not a nice guy at all, he hates everyone regardless of creed or colour; he also has a deep loathing for police & criminal procedure, increasingly doing things either behind his superior's backs, or just telling them to "shove it" when he comes out and tells them what he wants to do. He also battles the justice system, who he believes put more emphasis on the rights of the alleged criminal than the victim, and as such treats such criminals with utter contempt for their so-called rights.

So on the handful of occasions he is in direct confrontation with the serial killer (called "Scorpio") Harry chooses not to Mirandize him his rights; instead he tortures him for answers about his victims before its too late. Which brings him into direct conflict with the judiciary, who releases Scorpio due to a failing in police procedure, even though we know he is the actual killer.

Harry's frustrations come to the fore at the end of the film and the final standoff with the merciless killer.

Not a very pleasant film, and by and large Eastwood looks incredibly one-dimensional; like a wind-up doll cranking from one set-piece action sequence to the next, adding little depth other than running jackboot style over all and sundry whether it be the police, the justice system or the innocent-until-proven-guilty (especially, or perhaps intentionally, San Francisco of all places).

How tastes & attitudes change over time.

2/5

Watched this documentary of Sviatoslav Richter - one of the musical giants of 20th century. Being such a great genius, a fiery lion on the keyboard, he's so humble, so honest, and so true to his art and heart. It is a treasure film for music lovers, made by French filmmaker and violinist Bruno Monsaingeon. One of the comments said it all:

"What a wonderful document! A treasure trove about a life spent in pursuit of the emotional well being of others. A curtain pulled back on the life of a genius. Sviatoslav, you didn't have to like yourself. It was not important. (near the end of the film, the old maestro said sorrowfully:'I don't like myself.') Indeed, the love that millions had (and millions still have) for you after you touched their lives in such wonderful ways, long ago overcame this tiny flaw in your character. Yours was a life well spent, by any measure."

An excerpt in the film - Richter playing Liszt in a Russian film. The man didn't have to put up a performance for that::)

"End of Watch" (2011) Rated "18" (UK)/"R" (USA)

After spending the weekend watching Clint Eastwood and his quite tepid & mechanical "Dirty Harry" franchise of cop films, I decided to take a more contemporary viewpoint of cop-life in South-Central LA with the hugely impressive "End of Watch".

Very much a police buddy film, starring Jake Gyllenhaal as Brian Taylor, and Miguel Zavala as his partner and close-friend, Michael Pena. They've been together since police training school and have been patrolling the dangerous streets of South-Central for years. They're street-wise and give as good as they get both on the street and back at the police station with their colleagues and superiors. They're also dedicated, brave and courageous; but also to relieve the tension they're incredibly funny, always pulling jokes and pranks in order to forget about the horrors of their day - they're like Beavis & Butthead in some ways, but once they get a call, they're the ultimate professionals.

However, their dedication gets them into some serious trouble with the FBI who are on the trail of a large Mexican drugs/human traffickers cartel who have setup a base in the area that Taylor and Pena patrol. The Feds have been monitoring the cartel for some time, but when our two intrepid cops discover drugs and prisoners in a home the Feds are watching, they are told in no uncertain terms to back off.

Too late, because after the bust cartel bosses south of the border give the green light to have the cops ambushed and assassinated! Will our guys survive?

What makes this film more interesting is that Taylor is carrying a camera round with him in order to create a video diary as part of a graduate project he is studying on. So throughout the film we see different POVs - his and that of the audience. So at times it is like you're watching a reality-documentary as the two cops break into homes either rescuing children from burning bedrooms, or discovering mutilated corpses in cellars. Sometimes Taylor's POV is similar to playing a computer game, holding a gun in front of you as you walk down dark corridors ready to blast your foes away.

This film puts the likes of Eastwood's Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and The Enforcer et al, into the shade - this is the real deal, almost!

Incredibly well done, gritty, merciless, violent to the extreme, but also has great moments of humour and reflection. That said, the ending is probably a little off, and other than the two leading characters, there's very little input or depth from the supporting roles.

** Be warned - the "F" word (and its derivatives) is uttered 326 times apparently! **

4/5

Horror Story (2013)

The only excuse I can accept from the writers and director is... they were drunk.

No one involved with this movie, obviously, knew a thing about producing a horror movie.

A group of young adults go to a supposedly haunted hotel - apparently on a dare - that hasn't been open for years and years. For some reason, the previous owners left behind much of the furniture, several CRT computer screens, phones and much other equipment. And thieves hadn't bothered with any of it, either.

The hotel had been a mental hospital decades before becoming a hotel - and they, too, left a lot of medical equipment behind which, for some unknown reason, the hotel owners had left untouched.

One of the young men twice plays tricks on the others, to scare them. Yet when the find him in a shower he'd went to investigate, with some blood on his head, they all instantly consider him dead. No one even checks to see if he's actually alive or dead! They start running around the hotel, looking to escape.

This running around shows the hotel to have huge, empty rooms around nearly every corner, and exits have disappeared - except the front glass doors, which prove impervious to even scratches, when heavy objects are launched at them.

Two of the boys go off by themselves (at least they got that right - every horror flick since Friday the 13th have people going off on their own). They suddenly see a heavy woman in old-fashioned nurse's garb. As she tells them "The Doctor will see you now," they actually look confused, but not very frightened. And they go into the room the nurse has indicated!

I can accept the poor acting: None of these young stars are well known, and it is, after all, a B-Movie, but, dayum! Is there a director in the house?

While in the rather barren doctor's office (paying no attention to the fact there is a lit lamp, despite there being no electricity in the place), a rather modern wheelchair rolls by. So, of course, the boys start following it. And, of course, the wheelchair (?) kills one of the boys. And now the wheelchair is hunting the other boy!

The group finds their way to a parking garage, where they find a jeep, that looks to have been there as long as the hotel has been closed. For reasons unexplained, one of the boys has the key - and, amazingly, it starts right up! Of course, there's no egress for the jeep.

Because of where I live, I watched the movie on my laptop, the sound low, the captions on. I was suddenly interested in what language they were speaking in. I turned up the volume, surprised to hear English! No, wait... Spanish. No... what is that, Indian? English again. Indian...

So weird.

Did you know dropping a lit lightbulb into a small puddle of gasoline will cause a large fire? Yeah - neither did I.

One girl survived the night.

No viewers were known to have survived the movie.

Last edited:
Cathbad, that sounds truly atrocious. If you're interested in a movie with a similar premise but well-done, if you haven't seen Session 9 you're in for a treat.

Randy M.

Drive-in Massacre (1976)

Hoo-boy. Extremely amateurish slasher flick which fails on every level. Terrible story, terrible acting, terrible music, terrible lighting. Some nut kills folks at a drive-in theater with a sword. The cops investigate. The theater stays open and folks keep coming to it even though the killings continue. Suspects include the theater's angry manager, the manager's mentally slow assistant, and a guy who sneaks around the theater peeking at couples making out. There's some other nut who chases his daughter around a warehouse until he's shot by the cops, but this has nothing to do with the plot. Wait for the shocking ending when we find out:

Nothing is resolved. The killer isn't found, and there's a voice over announcement telling you he's in your theater now. The effect is spoiled is you're not watching this at a drive-in.

I just looked at fifty pages! of available movies, and couldn't find anything worth looking at, according to various review sites. It's disturbing how amateur and dreadful a lot of these 'movies' are. Lots of comments like 'I could do better with a cellphone cam', kind of displays the overall decline and decay of 'hollywood' and 'the movies'. Fifty pages, over 500 movies, all turkeys. Cathbad has run into a few lately, I'm real careful now and look at reviews, whereas it used to be worth taking a shot at SF or Fantasy flicks, not anymore, you will end up watching stuff that makes Sharknado look really good. But - The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T was a blast from the past. *