What was the last movie you saw?

Atomic Blonde.

I genuinely enjoyed it. It was a far smarter film than I'd expected it to be, requiring actual attention from the audience. Plus points for having a bang on target soundtrack (unlike Guardians of the Galaxy's rather lameass soundtrack full of boring Eighties tunes). I got chills listening to Cat People at cinema volume.

Cinematography was beautiful, even though a lot of the East Berlin stuff looked nothing like Germany due to being shot in places like Hungary. Phenomenally accurate reproduction of the Berlin Wall, though. I honestly got a little bit weepy when they interspersed news coverage of the wall coming down, the bravery of the East German people standing up to the Stasi and walking across the border en masse. It brought back a lot of memories, so I'd say it was accurate enough!

It also gets plus points for showing women's bodies without pandering to sexualisation. We open on a naked Charlize Theron, but there's nothing vulnerable or sexy about it: we're shown her strength. Her muscles, her injuries, her fearlessness. Whenever we see women naked in Atomic Blonde we aren't seeing soft things to leer at, we're seeing machines in motion and it's very well done.

Will absolutely grab it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

can't quite say I'd agree with that 100% I found the film very atmospheric, with a great sound track agreed. Ms Theron was very good too and some of the fight scenes were brutal but... but, overall I found it to be more like a pop-video and I much prefered the first John Wick film.

As for sexualisaton I would say that the lust scene was quite full on with a fair amount to leer at

It also gets plus points for showing women's bodies without pandering to sexualisation.

That's the one concern I had watching the trailer. As I have three teenage daughters, I'm pretty much limited to watching anything that would be suitable for them.

Which more recently involved The Lost Boys and Breakfast Club. And for Saturday viewing we've started Twin Peaks. :)

As we've had a run of 80's classics recently, I think our Sunday night film will probably be Arrival, via Amazon Video.

Dressed To Kill (1941)

Lloyd Nolan, as Private Detective Michael Shayne, is terrific in this light-hearted whodunit.

This was an intelligent - if tongue-in-cheek - movie; but it left me a bit sad. I had to go that far back to find a good movie??

Anyway, it's on Netflix, and if you want to be entertained, check it out!

Rememory.
A brilliant scientist is found dead. Natural causes or murder? A stranger (Peter Dinklage) turns up at the widow's home to investigate. Clever, clever movie, with a great script handled well and a fabulous cast. The twists toward the end tie this terrific film neatly together. Intelligent film making.

Spiderman: Homecoming. Very enjoyable even though I thought there was too much Tony Stark as Uncle Ben's replacement. Scenes like that should have been written for and given to Marisa Tomei as Aunt May.

And while I enjoyed the inclusion of The Ramones on the soundtrack, at the end they should have used their version of the the Spider-Man theme:

They OWN this song now.

The Babadook (2014)

Devastated by the loss of her husband in a car accident on the way to the hospital to give birth to her son, Amelia covers her despair with work and devotion to her son. But she has trouble hugging him. It doesn't come natural to her; she recoils and he notices. The boy, Samuel, is an odd child, not lovable, prone to dark thoughts, ready to fight monsters to protect his mom. Then one night he finds an odd book for her to read him to sleep, The Babadook. The character of Mr. Babadook in the book begins to intrude into their real life and it's not entirely clear whether there is a haunting or whether she is going insane.

Okay. Now I see what all the fuss was about. This is both a terrific thriller, and Essie Davis is a name I'm going to try and remember since this movie works in large part because of her performance. And Noah Wiseman, who plays her son, is equal to her.

Randy M.

There are people who will watch movies with titles like Attack of the Killer Donuts, because well they just watch weird movies like that. But you shouldn't, not this one.
The Crime Doctor 1943 is kind of interesting though, if you are interested in amnesia in gangsters, who then change their ways, rediscover who they were, go straight, and years later turn in the stole valise full of cash and have a happy ending. )

The Babadook (2014)

This was a good movie! ...Up until the creature actually made an appearance. Even then, it would have been palatable, if it weren't for the ending.

I will agree with @Randy M. re the performances by both Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman. Too bad the writer(s) of this movie had to ruin it all with what is no doubt one of the most ludicrous endings of all times.

Rattlers (1976)

**SPOILERS**

Cheap entry in the Animals Attack genre. Starts with a couple of kids wandering off from their parents in the desert. They get killed by snakes. (Having the kids actually die was a gutsy move on the part of the filmmakers. Like all the other deaths-by-snake in this movie, it happens off-screen. The most violent scenes in this PG movie are people shooting at each other.) Herpetologist is called in by the cops to investigate this and similar deaths. (We're told that the bodies are horribly mutilated by the attacks, but we never see them.) He winds up working with a photographer. At first they have a feisty Women's Libber/stubborn Male Chauvinist shouting match, but she quickly settles into the role of the movie's Girl. (Grinning when an older army officer she's just met says he wouldn't mind spending some time alone with such a sexy young thing.) Yes, they become lovers. Random snake attacks fill up most of the running time. The attacks turn out to be caused by the snakes getting exposed to a nerve gas that causes extreme aggression. (I guess they got mutated, too, judging by the unseen horrible state of the victims, and the fact they they are able to bite through the tire of an Army Jeep.) One character implies that the same stuff has been dumped into the ocean, and speculates what might happen to sharks or killer whales. It all winds up with an extended gun-and-grenade battle between an evil General and the good guys, leading to one of those "the end -- or is it?" type endings. Very 1970's, and worthy of being mocked. I understand the Cinematic Titanic people did so.

The Babadook (2014)

This was a good movie! ...Up until the creature actually made an appearance. Even then, it would have been palatable, if it weren't for the ending.

I will agree with @Randy M. re the performances by both Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman. Too bad the writer(s) of this movie had to ruin it all with what is no doubt one of the most ludicrous endings of all times.

I didn't mind the ending.
The taming of Babadook seemed emblematic of the mother coming to terms with her loneliness and grief. Except, it's not really tamed, just held in check. There is indication it might not stay quiescent, but for now having acknowledged the monster that threatens them the mother and son can cope and treat each other with some affection and love. Pretty much from the beginning, the filmmakers straddled that line between the monster being a physical presence or being a sort of Id monster, a manifestation of all the mother was suppressing.

Randy M.

Come Back To Me (2014)

A very decent thriller, with a great, surprising ending!

I can't tell you much about the movie without giving something away, but it starts with a couple, not long married. The wife wants to get pregnant, but hubby keeps making excuses. When she finally does get pregnant - well, that's when the real fun begins!

(And don't think Rosemary's Baby.)

Son of Ingagi (1940)

As far as I know, the only "race film" to be a horror movie. The African American cast spins a pretty typical Poverty Row chiller of the time. A young couple gets married at the start. An older woman makes out her will to give her belongings to the newly wed woman, because she was in love with her father. The older woman also happens to be a doctor with an ape-man in her house, as well as a bunch of gold that her ex-con brother is trying to get. The doctor creates some kind of beneficial elixir, but when the ape-man drinks it he goes on a rampage. Notable for having a couple of musical numbers which are pretty good, if you like that kind of old swing singing.

It doesn't matter what movie. ((I intended to review one here, but would rather rant.)

I am getting so very tired of movies without an ending!

I mean really... what the h***? Does every movie have to end without a conclusion, or leave us not knowing if so-and-so died or not?? I'm over it! Why do script writers get hooked in cycles of copying each other, over and over?!

Can we go back to movies having conclusions, please?