What was the last movie you saw?

It Follows, but I didn't. One hint, two words, for future teen victims of invisible entities - spray paint. And maybe a flamethrower. Next. )
Zombie Nightmare features Adam West, it is kind of fun.

I watched Suicide Squad at the weekend. It was a proper mess. The plot was incomprehensible, and the whole Joker subplot didn't work. Deadshot was well played by Will Smith though, I thought. A whole movie based around his character, and his attempts to make things right with his daughter could have worked really well. There was just too much other stuff going on.

I watched Ghost in the Shell (original animated movie). Beautiful animation. There were some great ideas in it, but the film was, understandably for animation, too short. There wasn't enough time to really explore the ideas in depth. There wasn't as much action as I'd have liked either. The new live action film apparently is a composite of the film and the animated series, so I'm hopeful it'll be a more well-rounded story.

I watched Nine Lives, with my kid. In it, Kevin Spacey's consciousness is transferred into a cat. More implausible than that, though, is that pre-cat, he is married to Jennifer Garner. The film's themes included adultery, death, and suicide. I am genuinely NOT making this up. It wasn't terrible.

Brute Force 1947. A prison break, a crazed wannabe warden, great performances, they don't make them like this anymore. >
" No-one ever really escapes."
Then, Dinosaurus, which is cute as all get-out, with a good goofy showing from a caveman, Bronto and T-Rex.

Hi,

Rogue One - colour me disappointed. Look you want to make a samurai movie where everyone dies a glorious death, that's fine. Even in space. But here's the thing. If I don't feel any attachment to the characters why do I care if they die?

Fantastic Beasts - Again not much of a story and two leads who just didn't inspire me. Hell they were straight out boring. No passion at all.

Cheers, Greg.

I agree on Rogue One. You can almost feel the crowd of corporation representatives tugging at the director's every move. Visually stunning moments though.

Didn't bother with Fantastic Beasts.

Rogue One - colour me disappointed. Look you want to make a samurai movie where everyone dies a glorious death, that's fine. Even in space. But here's the thing. If I don't feel any attachment to the characters why do I care if they die?

Fantastic Beasts - Again not much of a story and two leads who just didn't inspire me. Hell they were straight out boring. No passion at all.

I agree on Rogue One. You can almost feel the crowd of corporation representatives tugging at the director's every move. Visually stunning moments though.

Didn't bother with Fantastic Beasts.

Came here to comment on these two films, which I watched on a long flight yesterday. Fantastic Beasts was very disappointing, after the praise I'd heard for it. There was nothing to it apart from the SFX: no subtlety, no ideas, nothing. And even the SFX quickly became tiresome, though it might have looked better on a full-size screen. My brother also tried to watch it and fell asleep, and this was a daytime flight.

Rogue One was better, but you had to switch off the old grey matter, which I find hard to do. It helped that I had such low expectations after TFA. The robot was cool, the imperial forces as ridiculously incompetent as ever (which reduces the tension, as it becomes too obvious that characters are only in danger from the script writers, not the enemy). It's nice that the Death Star, despite being a wonder of technology and precision, was inaccurate enough to give certain characters time to say goodbye.

Also watched Arrival, which was better. Best of all, though, sadly, wasn't SFF at all (though it dealt with fantasy in one sense) -- Denial, about the David Irving trial. I thought it superbly acted, and riveting, even though I knew the outcome. Why can't SFF films do this?

Shock Waves 1977. Ehrrr... Nazi SS guys, still alive, well they live in a swamp, underwater, where they sleep until cast members wander by... there's a crazy nazi guy living in a castle, or something, and only one gal survives the swamp-SS attacks, she is made crazy and narrates the story, which is about these SS guys, still alive, sleeping underwater.. in a swamp , .. and .. _ *

The last film I saw was Lion, about a boy from India who was adopted by an Australian couple and decided to find his original family. This was good, basically. It was slightly overlong (as are most modern films!) but had good acting and excellent camerawork, especially of the Indian city where the boy ends up. It was also the first PG-rated film that was neither a war film or for children that I've seen for years. Surprising how much tough drama you can still put into a film like that.

On the subject of underwater villainy, does anyone remember a film called something like Colossus, starring Christopher Lee, Vincent Price or one of those guys as the captain of a Titanic-style ship that sinks and somehow survives at the bottom of the ocean? The people in the ship continued to live as if it was the 1920s, with many strange inventions. Inevitably, their society had a dark underside. I don't think it was especially good, but it's stuck in my mind as a proto-Bioshock, weird and eerie.

The Huntsman: Winter's War
This film answers the question everyone was asking: What if someone did a live action version of Frozen without all music and fun? Good special effects, though, and visual confirmation that Charlize Theron remains one of the world's great beauties.