What was the last movie you saw?

I think you would have to bang me on the head with a doorway several times before I would even contemplate watching four Star Wars films on the trot like that.

*bangs JM's head with a doorway several times* Okay, you're all set! :)

*bangs JM's head with a doorway several times* Okay, you're all set! :)

I think I will just slump into unconsciousness if it's all the same. Mind you, if I did watch them I'd probably end up in the same place. The last three times I've tried to watch Star Wars (okay... 'Episode IV') I've fallen asleep before they've got off the sandy planet near the start of the film. And I don't think you could get me to watch The Force Awakens again even if you paid me. Once was enough.

The Flight That Disappeared (1961)

Every review I've seen of this low-budget allegorical fantasy says the same thing: It's a Twilight Zone episode expanded to seventy minutes. An airplane carrying a scientist who has developed the formula for the Ultimate Weapon, along with his mathematician assistant (whose role here is pretty much "the girl") and a guy who has designed a new kind of rocket (which could carry the Ultimate Weapon) starts climbing higher and higher, eventually winding up in a place beyond time, where a jury of folks from the future judge them for threatening their potential existence. There's a double twist ending. Some bad acting, some decent acting, a lot of ponderous talk, some moody scenes. An OK way to kill a little more than an hour.

Nothing. I watched no movies, and it was okay. Woop, actually I put on Paul Blart Mall Cop and that played while I mulled over what to watch next, if anything good ever comes out again.

The Spy with My Face (1965) and One Spy Too Many (1966) a couple of Man From Uncle movies - hardly more than extended TV episodes but , I think I am right in saying, released cinematically in some territories. I actually quite enjoyed them in a park my brain sort of way. One Spy too Many was the better of the two having a wonderful turn from Rip Torn as the villain, Yvonee 'Batgirl' Craig losing her top while sunbathing in the office, and the regulars in the cast obviously having more fun too.

The Nice Guys (2016) - Pretty good movie that goes-by-the-numbers. Roughly, two men that don't get along, work together to get the job done, and become friends. Stars - Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling.

Prophecy: The Monster Movie (1979) - One of my all-time favorite creature features. Stars - Talia Shire, Robert Foxworth, Armand Assante, Richard Dysart , Victoria Racimo and Kevin Peter Hall. "RRRRAAAARRRH!!!"

Saturn 3 (1981) - Another weird favorite of mine. The robot sci-fi cult classic. Stars - Farrah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel.

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - After watching many interviews with writer Anthony Burgess and actor, Malcolm McDowell about the novel (which I read), the movie (that I've seen a few times) and behind the scenes of this unforgettable film, I had to see it again.

Best Answers in Interviews

Anthony Burgess: "To get my book published, I was forced to write a normal, pleasant ending for my character, Alex, to please the publishers. But, when I worked with Stanley Kubrick to create the film, I made sure that my original ending was in the movie."

Malcolm McDowell: "What did I like about the film? It made me lots of money."

1. Knight of the Dead - Mark Atkins. Mark Atkins, Mark Atkins, Mark Atkins, Mark Atkins... Right I think I have that name drummed into my head now. Mark Atkins, Mark Atkins. Yep it's there. I have seen at least 5 films directed by Mark Atkins Mark Atkins Mark Atkins over the last few years. Journey to the Center of the Earth (no, not that one the crappy Asylum knockbuster) Merlin and the War of the Dragons,
    AVH: Alien vs. Hunter, Princess of Mars and now Knight of the Dead. They were all total crap. If I type Mark Atkins name a few more times I might just get it so stuck in my head that I won't even accidentally buy any more of his crappy shoot-it-in-a-weekend and make-it-up-as-we-go-along home movies. Mark Atkins Mark Atkins Mark Atkins... carry on...

Monsters University, it was good fun. I'm out of stuff to watch. SF, comedy, heist films, quirky rubbish... I need more.

"David Brent: Life on the Road" (2016)

My expectations for this film were never high, and on viewing, that view remains unchanged. Moreover, it proved to be rather a disappointment; disjointed, overlong, plotless, poorly written, and lacking any token support from "The Office" regulars.

The absence of Stephen Merchant, is glaringly apparent, and may explain why the "plot" meanders all over the place, chiefly because we don't really have that much empathy with Brent, and there's no Dawn/Tim subplot to keep us interested.

This could have been great as a 90 minute Christmas TV special, but it just doesn't work on the big screen.

Time to put Brent to bed, methinks

2/5

XMen, the new one. A pharoah mutant guy wreaks havoc... he can turn whole cities into sand, really a bad dude... but the XMen manage to get rid of him... but maybe he isn't dead. In 3d it was impressive, and lots of time to go to the bathroom and make dinner during the 'character developement' parts. Really a lot of sand in this movie.

It's my birthday. As most of the family are away doing scout camp stuff Daughter Number One and I sit down to a chocolate, noodle, and sushi powered crappy moviethon. (there was pop corn involved too.)

1st up: (After a couple of episodes of Cleopatra 2525 - my kids bought me the first season as a present.)
  1. The Terror - Karlof and Nicholson in a very dreamlike Corman quickie.
  2. The Werewolf of London - feeding my current Valerie Hobson, and Duaghter Number One's Universal Horror obsessions.
  3. Highlander 2 -
    Her: "What?!"
    Me: "Trust me it's comedy gold"
    Her: (45 minutes in) "Dad, this is comedy aluminium!"

4. Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared Syn - because I'd got the VHS player fired up for the Highlander movie I put in the next tape in the pile of crap SF VHSs. I had seen it before but didn't remember a thing about it. I found out why. It's not a very memorable film. We had fun riffing on it.

A pretty damn near perfect birthday.

Last edited:
"Dawn of the Dead" (1978)

After "watching" the lackluster David Brent film a couple of nights, I felt I needed some good old fashioned blood, guts and gore for a Saturday night. And dipping into my NAS collection of trusted horror films, "DotD" shouted at me the most, covering me in said blood, guts and gore :) So "DotD", it was: a film I hadn't seen in a number of years; and despite its age, it still delivers a good story, plenty of good sfx, and a decent twisty ending.

Can't believe this film is almost 40 years old!!

4/5

Swallows and Amazons - I must admit that I went to see this with a certain amount of dread. I have loved the books since I read them as a child some 40+ years ago and they have been shared with Daughter Number Two at bedtimes over the past few years. We're just finishing The Big Six.

My fears were justified.

I KNOW you can't just take a book and film it. I KNOW that what works well on the page doesn't necessarily work well on the screen. But what I don't understand is why someone would take a great book that has worked its spell on generations, take the very things that make it special and successful (the world of childhood imagination, free from the constraints of adult supervision), dump them, and graft on a whole new layer of story ideas about spies and secret documents that, quite frankly, looks like it was lifted straight out of an Enid Blyton Famous Five book.

One of the things that make the book special - especially for landlubbers like myself - is the way that the technicalities of sailing are bought so vividly to life. Reefing, jibbing, coming about, heeling over, raising the sail, stepping the mast... all that technical stuff that the children in the books are so proficient at, and understand, is reduced here to a few lines like "Go faster, John!", "We're loosing them!" usually delivered off camera in long shot as the crew of the Swallow just sit there in the boat like lumps. For all the shots of boats in the water there's very little sailing going on in this film.

I was incredibly disappointed and Number Two Daughter (aged 13) was too. She thought someone who hadn't read the book might like it as a film in its own right but as an adaptation of Swallows and Amazons? No.

The Day The Earth Caught Fire at the local art cinema, where they show an oldy sf/horror flick once a month at noon on Saturday. Really liked it. Snappy dialog I couldn't catch all of, could have been an adaption of a play, good acting all around. Atomic tests tilt the Earth's axis sending it on a collision course with the Sun where it would catch the titular fire. Heck, Janet Munro could have done that on her own, cause the fire and tilt the axis!