What was the last movie you saw?

The Man Who Wanted to Live Forever (1970)

Mediocre made-for-TV thriller. The title pretty much gives away the plot, as we see a brilliant physician (Stuart Whitman) show up at the vast medical research center of a zillionaire (Burl Ives), isolated way up in the snowy mountains somewhere in the American west. The new MD soon finds out that the male staff members are selected on the basis of blood type (B) and other immunological stuff. (Not the females? Apparently the movie thinks their parts would be rejected by a male body.) You can figure where things go from there. Sandy Dennis has top billing as another physician, but she pretty much just plays "the girl." Notable for some nice scenery and a very good, underplayed performance from Ives.

Room (2015). An intimate study of the relationship of a woman and her five year old son. Deeply personal and heartrending at times. The two leads elevate this fine material into orbit. At nearly two hours it a long journey but worth the effort.

Penguins of Madagascar (2014) - which was a LOT better than I was expecting after some of the reviews I remember. Just the quick-fire sightgag, joke-filled nonsense needed to turn a mildly grumpy bunch of tired individuals into a happy giggling family again. Thank you Power of Shared Experience. We love you.

Open Grave (2013)
A man awakes in a pit full of dead bodies with no memory of who he is. He meets up with a group of people who can't remember who they are. So it's a mystery, then there's some action, oh, and zombies, you've got to have zombies, right? Gradually their memories return and the mystery is solved. Thoroughly entertaining.

Ant Man (2015)

I'm so glad I don't watch trailers to upcoming movies that I really want to see. This was freaking MARVELOUS!!! It is so great to see Marvel comic characters portrayed in live-action, that are just as grand as they are in the comic books.

I agree with you on this one (on the other hand, I intensely disliked Deadpool). To me, Ant Man was one of the very best movies of last year, and one of the top four of the Marvel movies -- I went back to see it several time while I it was still in theaters. (Alas, not all Marvel movies reached that same high level -- but as a class they have a good enough track record that I'll give any new one at least a first look....)

X-Men: Apocalypse: I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this one (which likely means I'll need to go back and watch it again). On the one hand, it seems a rather radical revision of the X-Men, as I knew them in either the comic books of years ago, or the previous X-Men movies -- continuity is important to me, I guess -- but on the other hand, it sprang nicely out of the X-Men: First Class movie of a few years back.

The new film changes the origin stories for several characters, introduces new actors for some of the characters, and resurrects characters who died in the prior series of movies (not by bringing them back to life, but by starting over, as if those prior movies never happened). I think on the whole I like what they've done; any negative reaction to that on my part likely arises out of my having seen the prior movies.

I am sure they plan more out of this series, and I'm wondering how what appears to have been world-wide devastation will be dealt with in the next movie -- but maybe that's where my talent for suspension of disbelief will be needed...

The new actress and origin story for Storm are well done, in particular. The Cyclops character (they seem to call him by his "real" name, Scott Summers, more often) is also well done.

However, my main problem with this movie is this: the villain -- Apocalypse -- was just so powerful and so threatening, that it leaves one to wonder what they can be planning for the next movie...

Whatever they do, I'll go see it.

(Okay, I guess that despite my previous words, I seem to have largely decided how I feel about this movie: not in the top rank of the Marvel movies, but possibly second rank.)

Cypher... did I see that? Even JMs review is numbingly disunderstandable. Penguins look like a better option than Zombies from the open grave, at this moment... Yes, Penguins it is.. of Pittsburgh but nevermind... I tried watching the Forbidden Room, but couldn't make it through the attempt at arty whateverness.

China 9, Liberty 37 (1978)

Offbeat character-driven Euro-American Western from cult director Monte Hellman (The Shooting, Two-Lane Blacktop.) Our antihero is a gunslinger about to be hung for an unspecified crime. The local railroad czar offers him amnesty and a pile of cash to go kill a fellow (Warren Oates) whose land he needs. Oates has a much younger, beautiful wife (Jenny Agutter) and the sexual tension between her and the stranger heats up mighty quick. The story goes in unexpected directions, so that's enough of a plot description. Suffice to say that it offers the expected violent gunfights, but often in surprising ways. Low-key and intimate most of the time, with some quirky details (the two lovers run into a traveling circus at one point.) The lead is played by an Italian actor, and no attempt is made to disguise his heavy accent, despite the character's Anglo name. (Agutter doesn't hide her British accent either.) The film's odd American title comes from a sign seen at the very start, telling us how far it is to the towns of China and Liberty. The original Italian title was Amore, piombo e fuore ("Love, lead and fury") which makes it sounds more of a typical spaghetti Western than it really is. Recommended.

I never understood why everyone in Western had American accents and spoke English all the time. With the the high levels of immigration to the US in those days I'd have though most of the pioneers would be from Europe and have a variety of interesting accents and languages. When DID 'the' American accent develop? (I put the word 'the' in quotes there because I'm sure there are hundreds of regional variations but such subtleties are lost this side of the Atlantic. You all sound the same to us. I guess the average Brit could tell New York from Kentukybut everyone else just sounds Canadian. :whistle:)

I never understood why everyone in Western had American accents and spoke English all the time. With the the high levels of immigration to the US in those days I'd have though most of the pioneers would be from Europe and have a variety of interesting accents and languages. When DID 'the' American accent develop? (I put the word 'the' in quotes there because I'm sure there are hundreds of regional variations but such subtleties are lost this side of the Atlantic. You all sound the same to us. I guess the average Brit could tell New York from Kentukybut everyone else just sounds Canadian. :whistle:)

Eh?

Randy M.

Also Finding Dory. Loved it. Every bit as strong as the first one.

I thought it was a bit darker than Finding Nemo, until I remembered that I always started Finding Nemo on Scene 2, after the mom is eaten. (To this day, my daughter doesn't know there is a first scene in that movie.)

Liked Finding Dory.
Watched The Last Heist. It's bank robbers, a blonde LAPD detective, the cartel - and a serial killer. As soon as it started I thought gee I bet the serial killer, who is coincidentally in the bank when the nonsense starts - will walk away at the end, and guess what. Kinda gory, dont bother.
Tonite will be Rat Scratch Fever and/or Deadman Apocalypse.

Rat Scratch Fever. Well, giant rats on a scary alien planet, wattayawant? Cheapo FX, rats with red LED eyeballs... spaceship crashes and the usual stuff... I watched it. ***

Sci-fighters. A collection of low budget B movie clichés with one or two almost novel SF ideas (the biometric Identikit reader was a nice touch - but it was lonely). Bladerunner with a budget of tens. Roddy Piper hits people and shoots guns, Billy Drago is wasted (as he always is) as the possessed creepy villain and Jayne Heitmeyer is consistently put where the camera can get the best production value out of her her boobs (and thanks to Billy Drago's commitment to his craft during the attempted rape climax we get to see more of them than was possibly in her contract). In the climax she rescues the hero and doesn't sleep with him. The most believable bit of the whole show.

Frankenstein: The True Story (1973)

Wonderful made-for-TV movie. Great retelling of the original Mary Shelley classic novel. I haven't seen this awesome horror/drama in years. Superb cast of actors, include: James Mason, David McCallum, Jane Seymour, Michael Sarrazin, Agnes Moorehead, John Gielgud, Peter Sallis and Tom Baker (just to name a few).

Terrordactyl 2016. Well. Pterodactyls come here, to the Earth... and swarm around in LA... our goofy miscast heroes get chased around, nob ody else seems to notice the giant Pteros, much... aaaaand... err, good Pterodactyl CGI, not bad, best Pterodactyl movie of the year, perhaps. **

I'm sure you're aware that since Westerns made in the U.S. have primarily been aimed at the American audience, it makes sense to use people who speak with "American accents," as you call them (of which, yes, there are a variety -- just as most countries feature regional variations...)...it's one of those things where historical reality has to give way to the needs of the market (at least, the needs as perceived by some...).

(I did say I was sure you were aware of that; nonetheless, although that part of your comment may have been rhetorical, I went ahead and gave an answer so as to convey my views and set up the next portions of my reply...)

You are correct that there were high levels of immigration in the 19th century, many of whom likely spoke little or highly-accented English (but keep in mind also that a high proportion of those immigrants came from the British Isles, so they at least had a leg up on the language problem -- there have been some American-made Westerns that featured characters with English or Irish accents, for instance). But as I understand it, there was a tendency for immigrants arriving over the Atlantic to get off the boat (and then off of Ellis Island, to the extent they were taken there upon arrival...) -- and then stop in the East Coast cities to, as it were, "acclimate" for a while; which resulted in them "huddling up" in the Eastern cities, thus creating ethnic pockets, such as the Irish and Italians in Boston and New York, which resulted in the creation of new "accents".

(In addition, arriving immigrants were often following in the steps of previous arrivals from their same countries, and tended to seek their co-nationalists upon arrival, no doubt feeling less insecure if they went to the same places; thus, Eastern Europeans tended to form "pockets," too, and Scandinavians settled disproportionately in such northern areas as Minnesota.... When such "pockets" developed, the people in them tended to speak their native languages among themselves, likely slowing down their learning of English and creating a new "accent" (in the small town where I lived as a child, there were a number of old people who never did learn to speak English -- their bilingual relatives had to translate for them, and even non-relatives, such as my mother, would learn a few words of their language, just to be able to communicate on a rudimentary level with them (in the case of my town, that language was called "Belgian" -- it was really Flemish, I think -- we weren't Belgian in our own origins...).

Sorry if I've wandered from the point...but let me mention that there have been a number of Western movies that featured characters with foreign accents (and I'm not counting, as an example, either the Italian westerns arising out of Sergio Leone's seminal examples, or the German Westerns) -- but those tended to be only isolated and unimportant characters...

But you are correct that we have many regional accents over here. Many of them, as I understand it, developed out of the "English" spoken by some of the earliest European immigrants -- the accents of the Carolinas, for instance, are said to have developed from the language of the Scots-Irish settlers who came to the Appalachian Mountains pre-Revolutionary War (changing with the years, of course, as well as with the influence of newcomers and of the original settlers, the American Indians...). (But note that those Scots-Irish immigrants went to the mountains because when they arrived, the Eastern seaboard's prime (and flatter) land had already been taken up, often by English immigrants who, by the time the Scots-Irish arrived, had already begun to prosper and consider themselves more "aristocratic" than the newcomers...with the result that there was a different accent in such places in Eastern Virginia than in the mountains to the west...)

Nor was it only the East Coast cities in which those "pockets" of immigrants settled -- there were ethnic enclaves in many West Coast cities, for instance; and, in a very interesting development, there was extensive immigration of Irish and Italians to New Orleans (as well as to New York and Boston) -- resulting in creation of a New Orleans accent (different from the Creole accents...) that was strikingly similar to that upper East Coast accent...

And finally, the point I've been leading up to: in this country there was, through the middle part of the 20th century, a deliberate effort on the part of media with audio components (i.e., television, radio, and movies) to hire "on-air" talent with what was believed to be the accent considered the most "un-accented" (and thus most likely to be easily accepted by listeners throughout the country). (I'm not saying that was right, or correct; I'm merely describing what I learned was the practice in those industries...).

That accent, specifically, was that of the Upper Midwest -- Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas, Wisconsin... A goodly number of television broadcasters from the fifties through the eighties either had such an "accent" from childhood, or were taught to use it; and for a while it was standard (on-air) across much of the country. (As a sidelight: I myself grew up in Minnesota, and for that reason many of those people I heard/saw on radio, teevee, and movies did not seem, to me, to have accents at all -- a point I finally came to realize when, while on a beach on the island of Cyprus in the '70's (an era in which the U.N. kept garrisons on the island to keep the ethnic divisions on the island from erupting into bloodshed -- garrisons that included Canadian troops), I was approached by a group of men who asked me if I were from Canada...they were Canadian troops, and a couple of them, from the area around Winnipeg, thought, in hearing me speaking with my friends, that I was from their home area...)

Dave, finished at last!

Terrordactyl 2016. Well. Pterodactyls come here, to the Earth... and swarm around in LA... our goofy miscast heroes get chased around, nob ody else seems to notice the giant Pteros, much... aaaaand... err, good Pterodactyl CGI, not bad, best Pterodactyl movie of the year, perhaps. **

Did it strike you as a "Sharknado" rip-off?