What was the last movie you saw?

I'll See You In Hell (Ti aspetterò all'inferno, 1960)

Moody crime film with a touch of Gothic horror. Three guys (Al, who plans the heist but doesn't actually take part in it; Sam, who wants the money to buy land in Israel; and Walter, a sociopath who is obviously trouble from the start) steal a bunch of diamonds. (Walter kills the guard, naturally.) They take off for a remote farm as a hide out, walking for hours through wilderness. Along the way, Walter gets in a fight with Sam, who falls into quicksand. Al wants to save him, but Walter stops him.

After several days at the hideout, Al heads into town to get a steak at the local diner. He meets a singer/dancer, saving her from the attentions of some punks. (Must be his type, as we already saw him with another dancer at the start of the film. Girlfriend Number One never shows up again.) Romance blooms. She doesn't have a place to stay, so she winds up at the hideout. Can you predict that the situation leads to tension?

Oh, did I mention the fact that there are signs that Sam is haunting Walter?

Not a bad little thriller, with visuals in the film noir style and a double twist ending.
I just had to see this film, being a lover of movie & TV quicksand! So, the 1st incident, as Victoria stated, the two guys fight. But actually, the one guy, Sam runs into the background behind trees, etc., and yells for help saying "Help, help! -that's quicksand." the hyphen suggests one of the other guys says "that's QS", but as I recall, it was Sam's voice.
While the one guy, who seems to have a limp, etc., wants to save Sam, the bearded guy says words to the effect of splitting two ways is better than 3, etc. To me, this QS was really quick, because that was all we heard from the sinking guy. The ground is covered by a creepy layer of fog, suggesting, if you even tried to save Sam, you would likely share his fate.

So, about that particular QS death, it was the cheapest I have never seen. :LOL: But, as the film progressed, I began to wonder, did Sam really die or was he just faking it?

Skipping to the end, the bearded guy, Walter, goes mad. He wonders if Sam or his ghost is haunting him, jumps in a car, drives like Satan him self is chasing him, crashes and runs into the same swamp. Now, it becomes unclear, he stumbles along then looks into the camera with extreme fear on his face, as though Sam, or his ghost is there, threatening him. Turns away, and stumbles along, until, he finds both feet stuck in the mud. trying to lift one of them, he loses his balance & stumbles forward into- wait for it- quicksand! :oops: He begins sinking rapidly, but waits until he is up to his neck, before calling for help.

I'll See You in Hell, 12226.jpg

So far, so good, it seems that my watching thus far, will not be in vain, but, just as his face is covered, and bubbles come from his mouth:

I'll See You in Hell, 12238.jpg

Aaaarg! What is this? Cult Cinema Classics! The next second, only his nose is visible, right above those two highly annoying screens. Serves me right for watching it on YOUTUBE!

So anyhow, I found this film rather better than I expected it to be, given the reward finally came at the end! Of the movie & TV quicksand deaths I have seen, I must rate this one 100%.
  • Walter had betrayed his partners
  • he fled, thinking he had the loot with him, only to realize there was nothing but flour in his satchel.
  • When he did realize this, his feet were stuck in the shallow part of the QS
  • the QS scene itself, could only have been improved by color film & extending it a few more minutes, showing him struggle

Though the film itself, about 7/10.

Thanks to Victoria Silverwolf for mentioning the QS!

Last edited:
THE MERCENARY - 1968 -- Some of these spaghetti westerns blur together in the mind--in this case Franco Nero is a polish mercenary and Tony Musante is the Mexican peasant-bandit who has to learn about "the revolution." Not Tomas Milian, who also shows up in a film with Nero and guest star Jack Palance--who gets stripped naked and wanders off nude into the desert.

THE RIVALS - 1963 - Compelling Edgar Wallace quickie about car thieves who grab an automobile just as a woman is about to enter it--turns out the car belongs to kidnappers and the crooks kind a ransom package inside. So they decided to get the money from the parent of the hostage while the real kidnappers are anxious to find the car thieves for their own reasons. Hardly an hour but good watch for the duration.

RE: I'll See You In Hell (Ti aspetterò all'inferno, 1960)

Are there english subtitles for it?
I can't find it in my sources with an english subtitles track.
I want to see it too!

RE: I'll See You In Hell (Ti aspetterò all'inferno, 1960)

Are there english subtitles for it?
I can't find it in my sources with an english subtitles track.
I want to see it too!
I just saw in on Youtube, in English, with English subs.:giggle:

The book is rubbish.

Tonight No. One Son and I watched. Edgar Wright's Baby Driver - which I wanted to like a lot more than I did. Too tricksy and violent for my taste.
I was blown away by the movie too. My interest in it never waned throughout the entire viewing

The Sleep Experiment (2022)

Two detectives begin an investigation into a disastrous secret military experiment where five prisoners were kept awake for thirty days in a sealed gas chamber.
Said to be based on real events. Pretty horrific in parts. Good though

PRINCE VALIANT - 1954 - repeat--The knight action is this is really high quality although the accents of much of the cast are grating. Robert Wagner might look goofy in his wig but he displays quite the athleticism and the sword duel between him and James Mason is effectively staged. The frequent mention of Christianity seems rather forced though. Some feel it should have been more humorous but I like the fact that it is played straight (despite the accents wrecking the mood).

FROM HOLLYWOOD TO DEADWOOD (1988) dir. Rex Pickett; starring Scott Paulin, Jim Haynes, Barbara Schock (Showtime)

Neo-noir that pulls a nugget from one old noir and a nugget from another, leans hard into the romanticism of noir and Hollywood, but ultimately squanders really good chemistry between Raymond (Paulin) and Jack (Haynes) as private detectives tasked by a studio with finding Lana Dark (Schock), a lead actress who has run away from the set of her come-back movie. Of course there’s more to it than that. It’s noir.

Schock is okay as the actress with a voice that makes Lauren Bacall’s voice sound high-pitched, but Lana Dark is basically a MacGuffin and the excuse for Raymond to fall for the image of her in his favorite movie. Jack, both muscle and comic relief, is a hard-headed realist with a voice like a tenor bullfrog. The back and forth between them is the best part of the movie. The search for the actress is over extended, so the resolution of the plot feels a bit rushed and perfunctory. Still, some nice moments provided by Paulin and Haynes.

SOMEONE IS BLEEDING aka ICY BREASTS - 1974 - A tv writer picks up a woman he sees walking on the beach and despite his obnoxious behavior she invites him to her mansion where we learn she has various minders including a lawyer (Alain Delon) who is in love with her despite being married. As it turns out--the actress was paired with Delon off screen and much like how Charles Bronson insisted his wife get a part in film--that seems to be the case here. But even devoted husband Charlie didn't expect the Mrs to be the star--and that is what we have to endure--and she simply is not cast right for this. It is a slow movie and hardly feels like a thriller or mystery--but as it was based on a Richard Matheson story--I was curious. Maybe I shouldn't have been.

Two more movies I recommend - must watch together, as despite different names, it's the same story.

Resolution (2012) - a man comes to help his friend to jump off drugs. A lot of weird stuff is happening around, and from the first movie it's not clear what it really is. It's only understandable that some power is observing the heroes and wants their story to go in a particular way. Really good friendship drama with catching atmosphere.

The Endless (2017) - continuation of the Resolution, but from the position of two brothers, who escaped a cult, which worships an unidentified higher force, but they want to return there (they were in Resolution and meet heroes of the first movie again). The Endless clarifies Resolution, has really stunning atmosphere of the terrible unknown that holds people as hostages in time-based traps. And the most interesting is that it also has a deep philosophical message about human behavior.

Highly recommended.

P.S. the authors of these movies also made one more, Synchronic - about a drug, which allows people to jump into another time. It has weak connection to Resolution and The Endless, and I'd say it's not as cool as the first two movies. But still can be watched as an addition to them.

MY FRIENDS NEED KILLING - 1976 - Zero budget war thriller about a Vietnam vet who cracks up from memories of the atrocities committed by his unit so he goes around killing them. The lack of production values actually helps make it feel more intimate and creepy because the acting is good. In one particularly disturbing scene he shoots a guy in the hand and leg and then rapes his wife--and she is completely convincing. It sounds like an absurd exploitation but the performances are completely sincere. The finale is suspenseful but severely undermined by a terrible choice of music for characters urgently traveling to prevent a horrible outcome for a pregnant woman at the mercy of the killer. They chose a piece that sounds like funky muzak that you would hear in a 1970s department store. Still, the ending is haunting. An interesting curio of 1970s ultra cheapie filmmaking.

Civil War (2024). Amid a war of secession, a group of photojournalists cross the country by car to interview the president before his fall.

Great road movie. I really liked the situations the troupe found themselves in. The last sequence has great action. I was never bored.

The movie is a big tribute to photojournalism. It’s a topic I was never interested in, but it moved me the way they showed how cold and distant a photojournalist has to be amid the horrors of war: in the car, there is a veteran journalist and a rookie, and they mirror each other.

The movie is written and directed by Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Ex Machina), and produced by A24 (The Witch, Hereditary). That’s enough reason to see it in the theater. The cinematography is also outstanding, so make sure to see it on the best screen possible.

Recommended.

The Bone Collector (1999). A cop has to solve a string of murders with the help of a tetraplegic veteran.

An instructor suggested this to me because it was a good investigation movie. I agree. It showcases many attributes that a good investigator needs to have. Also, I liked its bleak atmosphere.

Only thing I didn’t like was the reveal of the perp. The fun in watching these kinds of movies is to investigate alongside the protagonist, and try to solve the mystery with him. But the perp here is a guy that only appears once, and his reveal is such a letdown.

Dirty Harry (1971).

Great Clint Eastwood movie.

That looked like an interesting film, a sort of mixture between 28 Days Later and Bushwick. I gather that it refuses to name names, which sounds a bit spineless (you can probably guess who the heroes and villains would be in such circumstances) but Alex Garland has made some great stuff. I'll have to give it a look.
After Beau is Afraid (2023) bombed, A24 was afraid of losing money with CW, its biggest investiment yet, so they chose the hide the political divide. This comes with pros and cons. Like, no one will boycott it, but you have no idea why there's a civil war going on LOL.

Fantastic Voyage (1966) So very frustrating! All those sites merely mention that this film was based on a story co-written by Jerome Bixby & Otto Klement, but none actually name that story! (n) I would like to read it! I hope to read Asimov's novelization of FV, but, no hurry.

So, this East European scientist Dr. Jan Benes (Jean Del Val) is the only guy who can solve the 60 minute problem with the miniaturization process, and the West has him, but the East, being sore losers, attempt to assassinate him, because if they cannot have him, nobody else can. So, very conveniently, the West has all the equipment and such, necessary to inject a miniaturized submarine and its crew into an artery that will take them to the blood clot in the guy's brain.

So, they need the surgeons, etc., a guy to pilot the sub, and a security guy, just to make sure none of the others is a spy/saboteur. Charles Grant (Stephen Boyd; only place I think I have seen him!) as the security guy; Dr. Peter Duval (Arthur Kennedy), the brain surgeon; Cora Peterson (Raquel Welch) his very hot assistant; Dr. Michaels (Donald Pleasence; what a name, he turns out to be very unpleasant!); the one trusted physician, who specializes in the circulatory system; and the guy who designed and pilots the sub the Proteus, Captain Bill Owens (William Redfield).

supporting cast included Colonel Donald Reid (The CREST toothpaste guy Arthur O'Connell) serving under General Alan Carter (Edmond O'Brien), & as technician (James Brolin).

As one might expect, several things go wrong, which is what makes the film interesting.

Almost forgot! Moog synthesizer sound effects not only similar to those used in LOST IN SPACE, but the very same ones. These occurred very early in the film.

9/10; with a few very unscientific / pseudoscientific exceptions.

1. The wireless. Ain't gonna work, once miniaturized! it is a matter of wavelengths being VERY different.
  2. Where did all that weight go? :giggle: How does shrinking do away with all that weight?
I wonder if Asimov's novelization addresses such things, & likely several more that did not occur to me. O.K., so they likely had all this figured-out before hand, but it might have made sense to mention them.

One of these day, I will build a LEGO Proteus!
I just finished reading Fantastic Voyage: A Novel Kindle Edition. Kindle allows notes to be taken, highlighting of text. I must have made several dozen notes, where Asimov's version differs from the film.

Though Asimov's 'science' is more detailed, it still seems, for lack of a better word, FANTASY-TIC.

They reduced their size by swapping atoms into HYPERSPACE, which is described as having more that 3 dimensions.

Several other notable things:
  1. adapting radio waves to miniaturized equipment
  2. Time-sense: the mini people have a different sense of time, etc.
  3. even if the ship were dissolved, each atom would enlarge and Benes would explode!
  4. Oxygen atoms from the lungs could not be used, until they were also shrunken
No mention of light being light at its reduced size/wavelengths; it would be far beyond microwave into things whose prefixes I do not even know. Could it even be called light?

would the mechanics of their miniaturized eyes even respond to 'light' waves?

Anyway, for those who enjoyed the film, I recommend the Asimov novelization.

Asimov also wrote a 2nd version, one that was not tied down to the film.

Last edited:
Having looked at the Wikipedia summary, I can see why people might have been put off Beau Is Afraid!

I did wonder why A24 did that and assumed that they were afraid of violence. But losing money is a big issue too. Have you ever seen a film called Monsters (2010)? That's another "road trip through ruined America" film, but in this it's huge aliens trashing Mexico. I quite liked that film.

After Beau is Afraid (2023) bombed, A24 was afraid of losing money with CW, its biggest investiment yet, so they chose the hide the political divide. This comes with pros and cons. Like, no one will boycott it, but you have no idea why there's a civil war going on LOL.
I enjoyed speculating why the Civil War started , why 2 states had left the Union and why secessionist forces were heading to DC . Sometimes it's refreshing not to be " hand held " through a movie .