Joss Whedon's FireFly - New Series

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Hey everybody. I have noticed one or two references to this new series in other threads, but I thought I would start a new, dedicated thread for it.

You can find the (at the moment, not very informative) FIREFLY IMDB ENTRY page here.

I found this other site, very informative, with many photos - go and have a look it's great. FIREFLYFANS.NET

The Synopsis of the series is apparently:
Inspired by the Battle of Gettysburg and the Reconstruction Era of the American Civil War, Joss Whedon’ Firefly is the story of Captain Malcolm “Mal†Reynolds and his ragtag crew on the rogue Firefly class starship, Serenity, and their struggle to stay alive after losing a great war 500 years in the future.

Nathan Fillion, who looks to be the lead character, will be familiar to fans of "Two Guys and A Girl", in which he played Sharon's boyfriend Johnny. I don't recognise any of the others though. I get the impression that the theme is supposed to be similar to a Western feel. The teaser pics are looking good in general.

I am definitely looking forward to this series - although hopefully Whedon will be able to juggle all his balls!

Here is a pic of the logo...

Attachments

• fireflylogo.jpg
    fireflylogo.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 339
np Dave, I was kinda hoping some people here might have some more info over and above what I have managed to ferret out ;)

I had heard about it ages ago, but I thought it was still in the pre-production stage, I was pleasantly surprised to find that site and all those pics.

I also discovered in This Article that the pilot episode is apparently the most expensive ever! I really hope it gets picked up, for that reason alone!

Sounds like a ST spin off. I hope it isn't.

What other programmes has JW done? I take it this isn't gona be anything like Buffy?

He did write the screenplay for 'Alien Resurection', but on second thoughts, maybe that isn't such a great distinction.

I think he is someone who is going places.

Great Link Shaun, Thanks!

That is a goodly lot of information to get our teeth into. I have to say I am very happy with the casting of Nathan FIllion - he's a babe. As for the rest of the cast... Adam Baldwin could be interesting, he looks a lot more gritty in the fireflyfans.net pics than in anything I have seen him in previously.

I am not sure about the references to Star Trek - surely any story set in the future, as man has colonised Space, will draw comparisons to ST. It sounds to me like this story is going to be quite different. I mean NO ALIENS! There goes one of the basic parts of ST out the window. And while ST might have had it's occasional renegade captains, none of the series were based on such a premise. If anything it sounds a bit more like Babylon 5 to me.

I never watched B5. I'm just kind of fed up with space programmes, especially with that new Enterprise thingy. I like Earth based, non-uniform stuff like Buffy. :)

I love space SF.... Obviously I am really looking forward to this show! I wonder whether it will be similar to Buffy in terms of dialogue? Whedon's previous scriptwriting has been markedly different - Alien Ressurection, Toy Story, Titan A.E.

The Futon Critic offers some information too. Although nothing much we have not seen in previous links posted here, apart from an expected timeslot (8-9 Sundays, or the old X Files spot), and the fact that we are likely to see it mid-season.

What's it about?
sci-fi drama set 400-500 years in the future in a newly established union of planets, the series centers on the crew of serenity, a small transport spaceship of class firefly who will take any job -- legal or not -- to stay afloat and put bread on the table

who's in it?
Nathan fillion
("two guys and a girl")
Adam baldwin
("the x-files")
Alan tudyk
("a knight's tale")
Sean maher
("the street")
Gina torres
("cleopatra 2525")
Summer glau ("Angel" - briefly!)
Ron glass
("the education of max bickford")
morena baccarin

She was the Ballerina in season three ep "Waiting in the Wings". She only had maybe ten lines at most, and I can't really remember what she looked like (like a ballerina!). She also had an accent - European I would imagine, but I am not sure where from.

Hmm, well, if FF ever shows in the UK then I'll get to see her ...

I am sure if it does well it will get picked up in the UK - I can totally see Sky One going for it. Here's hoping anyway - I'll be back in the UK by the time it hits any tv screens... :(

Originally posted by Tabitha
She was the Ballerina in season three ep "Waiting in the Wings". She only had maybe ten lines at most, and I can't really remember what she looked like (like a ballerina!). She also had an accent - European I would imagine, but I am not sure where from.

Russian methinks.

haven't heard a thing about this, but i cant be bothered right now to read the stuff (stinking cold) So I'll wait to watch it and see.
:flash:

Plenty of infomation about it now. It has been given the go ahead for 13 episodes. It's up to the cast and writers, and some large amounts of good luck, after that.

No aliens is very different to 'Star Trek'. And also the stark, bleak dystopian future. Everything is compared to 'Star Trek'. Whether you like 'Trek' or not, you'll have to live with those comparisons.

I found another website: http://fireflytv.tripod.com/

But nothing there yet, it just says "Coming soon."

sounds interesting ---

I'll have to come back and read the articles and such later --

but, I'll report if I hear anything --

Maybe which ever station/channel that takes it will start showing 'coming soon' trailers... they've gotta try and pique the audience's interest...

If the series is being prepped to fill the void left by the X-Files I would imagine we can prepare ourselves for a barrage of publicity. Here's hoping anyway :)

But as it is only due for a mid-season start, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until late summer.

The Futon Critic has some new info today.

Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:08 AM
FOX Winging 'Angel' Out, 'Firefly' In
By Reuters/Variety

NEW YORK (Variety) - "Dark Angel" has gone to TV heaven.

Despite indications earlier this week that the Jessica Alba starrer would be returning for a third season, Fox has decided to pull the plug on the sci-fi actioner.

Its 8 p.m. Friday slot will be filled by the new space Western "Firefly," from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" creator Joss Whedon, which had been teetering between a fall and midseason berth.

"Firefly" will lead into the new mystery drama "John Doe" at 9. The latter series, along with "Firefly" and "Dark Angel," had been competing for two drama slots on Fox's new Friday night schedule. The rest of the lineup had already been finalized.

While Whedon had produced a two-hour pilot for "Firefly," it's now expected Fox will ask Whedon to come up with an hourlong kickoff to the series.

Fox officially unveils its new lineup Thursday. The new schedule boasts four new dramas and two new comedies, along with the sketch variety series "The Cedric Show" and the reality half-hours "30 Minutes to Fame" and "Meet the Marks." The latter pair, along with the drama "Septuplets," won't bow until winter.

So friday nights it is - this worries me though, I had the impression that friday nights were the kiss of death to tv shows in America, although maybe I am just confused
:rolleyes:

Sad to see that Firefly's existence might have contributed to the weeding out of Dark Angel. While I think DA was an example of missed opportunities I am not applauding its departure.

Was finishing up this post when I noticed some more info:

Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:03 AM
'Girls,' 'Firefly' Joining FOX Club
By Nellie Andreeva and Cynthia Littleton

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) ---

In another last-minute Fox upfront decision, the network has picked up Joss Whedon's sci-fi Western "Firefly" for fall. Sources said the pickup decision came down to the wire between the 20th Century Fox project and another 20th drama, James Cameron's "Dark Angel," for a slot on Friday.

The network was said to be somewhat disappointed by the two-hour "Firefly" pilot that Whedon presented earlier this month and gave the show a vote of confidence only after Whedon took it upon himself to pen a new script in the past few days. A new first episode for "Firefly" will now be shot, while the original pilot will air at a later time.

Meanwhile, sources said the network's decision to pick "Firefly" over "Dark Angel" caused tempers to flare in the Cameron camp because they had received indications that "Dark Angel" would return for a third season. Sources close to the situation cautioned that "Dark Angel" was never formally picked up. Cameron had made a strong personal effort to secure the renewal, including tackling the task of directing the season finale.

So yay! Fall start for Firefly! The sooner the better IMO!

So, how exactly do you go about reworking footage from a pilot to make it look like it is actually a few episodes into the first series?????