Ender's Game--The Movie (Orson Scott Card)

imported_Sandman

confused
Ender's Game--The Movie

Well, folks, it looks like we might be finally getting an Ender movie. Yippee!
I guess OSC's pretty pleased with the script and the production folks and it might be out as soon a 2005 (sounds awfully far away, doesn't it:( )
If I understand correctly, they will be combining Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into one flik. Sounds cool if they can pull it off.
If anyone's intrested here's a link with more info:
here

Ender's Game--The Movie

Well, folks, it looks like we might be finally getting an Ender movie. Yippee!
I guess OSC's pretty pleased with the script and the production folks and it might be out as soon a 2005 (sounds awfully far away, doesn't it:( )
If I understand correctly, they will be combining Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into one flik. Sounds cool if they can pull it off.
If anyone's intrested here's a link with more info:
here

Well you only had to wait another eleven years my friend. Hope you weren't too disappointed, it had Harrison Ford in after all

I really enjoyed this and was really looking forward to it, I went to the cinema to watch it. Enders Game was one of my favorite novels and was one of the sparks which helped me move from mostly Fantasy with some HF into reading SFF as a more broad genre.

Couple of things I noted:

The Battle School was fantastic (although they left out the Rabbits), although I would have liked to see reference to Ender being continually cheated, like in the books.

The ages of the kids were all wrong, although that made sense to age the characters for logistical and possibly even legal reasons.

Not sure why Anderson was made female and black - I think there were already a diverse enough cast. It changed the dynamic slightly but overall Anderson is still the same type of character.

The Mind Game or the Giant Game is really underutilized, in the book it is made clear that the Game is a psychological program which they don't fully understand, it repeatedly kills Ender until eventually he beats the "unbeatable" game. It says a lot about his psyche.

Locke and Demosthenes is almost completely removed as a subplot, subsequently Peter and Valentine are not given as much screentime as they should.

I expected Bean to get a bigger part and some of the elements of Enders Shadow to come into play.

The ending was a let down compared to the book, it didn't have the same emotional impact, although it was still well done in the film.

Last edited:
I thought the movie was fine. I really like the book (first one way more than any others), and I'm not sure why they did what they did with Bonzo's character. I don't think he was written that way? For me it was the biggest shortcoming, no pun intended, and if they had given Ender a more worthy adversary I think the film could have had more of an impact.

Been a while since I saw the movie, but as I recall, Bonzo was very true to the book character. How do you mean, exactly?

I mean in the movie he was a little whiny brat. In the book the impression I got of him was of a vicious and ruthless commander. They were both portrayed as selfish jerks, of course, but I thought he was bigger and stronger physically. In the movie, Ender is like two heads taller than him. Really bad casting, in my opinion.

Ahh, yes, he was more of a whiny brat in the movie, now that you mention it.

My main beef with the movie was that it totally eliminated the whole political story, Locke and Demosthenes and all that. Of course, it would have had to be two movies to make room, but they might have managed *something*.

That was interesting, but if I'm not mistaken there wasn't too much time dedicated to it in the book, either (at least not in the first one). I think they just told you a lot of what was happening and the impression Locke and Demosthenes were making on a global stage with their political articles. They could have had it in there a little, it's true that the film felt very compartmentalized.