Free Enterprise (1998)

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Free Enterprise

Not a SciFi movie per se, but it does touch base with many of the movies we are discussing here, not least of which it's constant references to Star Trek, and the presence of The Shatner as himself.

Review from Amazon

This modest but likeable movie is driven by a sincere love of the screenwriters' childhood kitsch, with Star Trek dominant above all--although Logan's Run, the X-Men, Planet of the Apes, and dozens of other science fiction touchstones of the 1970s have been worked in as well. Even an action figurine of almighty Isis, from the Saturday morning TV show, plays a major role in the plot, if plot is the right word. The story follows two guys on the fringe of the movie industry: Robert (Rafer Wiegel) edits movies like Teen Bimbo Beach Assault, while Mark (Eric McCormack from Will and Grace) is writing a screenplay about a serial killer who murders all the characters from The Brady Bunch. The movie touches on their career struggles but spends most of its time with their floundering love lives, suggesting that their pop-culture programming may not be the best model for life. The actors are clearly enjoying themselves, and the writing makes its innumerable pop references with wit, but what really makes the movie work is William Shatner. Shatner plays himself with affectionate but cutting self-mockery, simultaneously lampooning Star Trek obsessiveness and Hollywood egotism in general. Shatner displays not only a more subtle sense of humor than he's ever shown before, but also a surprising vulnerability. He may have alienated a lot of his fans when he did that Saturday Night Live sketch telling them to get a life ("It was just a TV show!"), but his performance in Free Enterprise may just win them back

IMDB Page

I loved this movie, I think I caught a lot of the references, but if you missed them, and are lucky enough to have the DVD it walks you through every single one.

saw this one a while back... it ain't bad, Shatner seemed fairly comfy in the role and it was quite funny as I remember...

The DVD may be worth getting just for that feature, to see if I can spot them all :D

Woohoo! markpud is back and answering my lonely posts! :lol:

Yep, the DVD is very fab, there is also a whole "Making of.." documentary thing that goes on forever, skip that bit if you can :)