should you read tlotr or the hobbit first

buks

sweet reazor blade kisses
should youread tlotr or the hobbit first

well i got tlotr from the libarary andi started to read it and i found it cofusing so ive just got the hobbit to read that first.
well any way i was wandering if i was the only one that was like this or if some one els was like this out ther

buks :D

Don't think it matters greatly.

The Hobbit is a childrens book and a very different read to LOTR.

It does set up a good introductory chapter about how the Ring came into Bilbo's possession and a little about Smaegol. But that appears in LOTR as well

Originally posted by ray gower
Don't think it matters greatly.

The Hobbit is a childrens book and a very different read to LOTR.

It does set up a good introductory chapter about how the Ring came into Bilbo's possession and a little about Smaegol. But that appears in LOTR as well

yep ok
its justr that i had got tlotr from the libarary and when i started to read it it made no sense with the the way it said about some one celibrting ther elentyfith bithday so i went back and got the hobbit not to me it will start to macke more sens as ive read the book befor tlotr and in the back of thabit book ive got it ses

if you are interested in the hobbits you will learn a lot more about them in the lord of the rings:

1. the felleow shipof the ring
2.the two towers
3.the retern of the king

I'd suggest that you read the Hobbit first. It not only gives a backstory and introduction to middle earth and its inhabitants but also of Tolkiens writing style (admittedly it is more simpler than LOTR but they're both similar.)
And IMHO you would enjoy the Hobbit more if you read it before LOTR.

Reading the Hobbit first is a good idea, but it really doensn't matter. I read it after and it didn't make much difference exept about the size of hobbits...I got to mt Caradhras b4 i realised they actually quite small...:D
:flash:

I think it's better to read the Hobbit first. Because it's simpler, it eases you into Middle Earth & 'fun' adventure first, where as things get darker in LOTR.

Originally posted by Shaun
I'd suggest that you read the Hobbit first. It not only gives a backstory and introduction to middle earth and its inhabitants but also of Tolkiens writing style (admittedly it is more simpler than LOTR but they're both similar.)
And IMHO you would enjoy the Hobbit more if you read it before LOTR.

yep and its also the one befor tlotr so it makes sens to read it befor tlotr

Originally posted by skoon
hee hee, who says we have any sense?;)

lol no one but i said that it would make snse to read the hobbit first as it was out befor tlotr

buks :blah:
ps
go nuts:nuts:
pps
if youre nuts allready then go even more nuts :nuts

:nuts: buks :nuts:

nuts times 2 or nuts times 3?:reyes: :reyes: :reyes:

I tried to read The Hobbit, gave up, read half of LOTR, watched the LOTR movie, read whole of LOTR, and then at the end read (and enjoyed) the Hobbit. So...in hindsight, I don't really think it matters.
Anyone else read the books after watching the movie?

ME!!!!! i read hobbit, and got on fine, was about a quater of the way tho lotr, then stopped cos the book we had was real old, and the pages were fallin out, so i had to wait til christmas to read it :)

i can't go n e more nuts buks :D i'm already the nuttiest u can go! :wink2: :reyes: :nuts: :disturbed :errrr: :eek7:

nuttiest of the nutty!

Now thats true! :D

And the Nutty award goes to.........JESSA!

(psst! time for your acceptance speech!)

*clears throat*

AHEM! ladies and aliens! (and sane people)

i would like to thank these people.................etc etc..............boring boring boring...........yada yada yada.......

thankyou! :D

LOTR Fan awards ceremony

The obsessing award!
Who is the most obsessed?
Hey, we should make this a seperate thread.:D

ah ah ah, first of all I'm the nuttiest, you knoe, almonds around the edges, second, better get back on topic, I got yelled at by a mod again:( & no, I read the Hobbit & LOTR 2 times 10 or so years ago. Seeing I was much younger (15) I found the Hobbit, though still difficult, easier to read Also LOTR was in much smaller print in the old printed version...

ok, now i haven't actually read any of the books yet and here's why. as a kid i used to always watch the hobbit cartoon movie. i LOVED that movie. i watched it whenever it would come on. it wasn't until a while later that i learned that it came from a book. and it wasn't until i heard about the new movie coming out that i even found out that there were MORE books to it. so i'm starting with the hobbit right now.