Just watched the film!

Wingless Flyer

Well, last time I watched the film it was 5 years ago, and at the time I didn't pay much attention, but I got home and it had finally arrived (royal mail taking their time with my stuff *again* ;) )

and I have to say I loved it! :D

I thought Spader was an excellent Jackson, there is/was very little diffirence between his portrayal and MS's portrayal of the best character ;)

I wasn't to keen on Russell though, to much of the A-typical hollywood hero, not what I've come to like about the Jack we see in SG1, but still, not bad.

Some of the effects were a laugh though, and seeing Daniel put his hand through the event horizon and pulling it back out was a bit dodgy ;)

But overall it rocked! My *long* search is over and it was worth it :D

lol, good that you enjoyed it!! I think that it's a little too Hollywood-y, especially with Jack and the fight at the end, but they still manage good character developement. I thought the special effects were kewl, usually I'm the first to complain, but I thought the wormhole and everythign was really well done!!

From First Film to TV Series

I have always enjoyed "Stargate" (the movie) but can see the reasons some characters had to change to be liveable on a weekly basis.

Much as I have always admired Kurt Russell, his portrayal of Col. O'Neil was way too intense to watch every week. RDA has added the right touch of humor. There is still bravado and pain in the character, but not so much that would make it difficult to watch regularly.

Spader's DJ has blended very nicely into the series. The movie character already had the cultural sensitivity and inate bravery -- like in talking directly to Ra and later firing into the guards to help his friends escape. MS and the writers have allowed the character to grow well beyond that, losing some of DJ's weaknesses (allergies, ineptitude with weapons, etc.) and building a very valuable team member. Letting him go in the 5th season seems to me to be a mistake.

Sam and T'ealc are the other parts of a team that were otherwise not needed for a single film. Scientific expertise and a knowledge of the enemy round out the team. Neither was particularly important for the film to achieve its objectives.

Now I look forward to what the second film will do with the changes that have arisen from the series.

Re: From First Film to TV Series

Originally posted by webmouse
I have always enjoyed "Stargate" (the movie) but can see the reasons some characters had to change to be liveable on a weekly basis.

Much as I have always admired Kurt Russell, his portrayal of Col. O'Neil was way too intense to watch every week. RDA has added the right touch of humor. There is still bravado and pain in the character, but not so much that would make it difficult to watch regularly.

Webmouse...I agree with this assessment. I love Kurt Russell, but as Jack O'Neill, RDA was the best choice for the series.

Movies are usually created as a "one-shot" with maybe a sequel in mind if the box office shows promise, Lucas films being the obvious exception. A TV series has aspects that a film does not. Characters have to be comfortable enough to the audience to get past the pilot while leaving room for the characters to develop.

I recently watched the SG1 pilot and saw how different the original Sam Carter was played from the character she has become. T'ealc has been working on humor, which is humorous in itself. Jack has softened and mellowed since we left him in the film and Daniel has lost the "dweebiness" along with the allergies (nicely explained in the Broca Divide episode).

When the writers put too many limits on a character (Kes in Star Trek Voyager comes to mind), then the character gets killed off, left behind, or miraculously transformed -- a great advantage in the SciFi-Fantasy genre -- but this latter solution can seem contrived to achieve the obvious, that the writers did not think the story line through when creating the characters.

I think the creators of SG1 have done a wonderful job in transforming an intriguing film into a very watchable weekly TV series.