Best Gemmell book?

jenna said:
Legend is one of my all time favourite books, and it's easily my fave Gemmell one. i also liked the Lion of Macedon books. i know they're not a particularly popular choice. am i the only one who enjoyed them??
No, I thought they were pretty good, mind you I'm a strange Gemmil fan in that I haven't read any of the Legend/Druss books yet.

I've read the stones of power books, the first two of Rigante (which are my favourites) and the Scotish ones (Ironhawk or something like that).

Gemmil is a pretty new discovery for me and I'm just reading what I can get my hands on at the moment. I like his style and subject matter the gritty Sword and Sorcery feel is a nice contrast from the usual Epic High Fantasy.

wow, you're a Gemmell fan and you haven't read Legend? you're in for a very very pleasant surprise!

My current favourite is the Waylander series, though I have to admit that White Wolf and The Swords Of Night And Day were also very good.
Having read the Drenai novels over and over again,
i just started the Rigante. I'm quite impressed after finishing
Sword In The Storm and looking forward to the other three books,
knowing that i won't be disappointed..

jenna said:
i also liked the Lion of Macedon books. i know they're not a particularly popular choice. am i the only one who enjoyed them??

nope!
they're among my favourite Gemmell books too (they just get edged out by Jon Shannow! :) )

I prefer the Lion of Macedon to Dark Prince though.

My favorite book is bloodstone. The whole Jon Shannow series is great. But I have yet to read all is books including Legend and most of the Drenai books.

Legend and the Waylander series are the best. Legend is the first Gemmell book that I read and so I will always remember it and I think that Druss and Serbitar are great characters and it also means more after reading another Gemmell book (can't remember name) where Druss fights alongside someone (later to be Ulric).

Therefore Legend is my favourite book

its near impossible to say what my favorite one is, but if forced id say Stormrider, so many memorable scenes in that one, and the characters, Gemmell made me like the Moidart! And the Chapter with the two Brothers Draig and Eain Cochland, good stuff. second choice: Quest for Lost Hero's

Adramalek said:
for me white wolf is good,.... but I also liked Waylander.... to me is the realism, for ex. if you read anithing from R.A. Salvatore.... noone eats, the notion of love go hand and hand with stupidity...... so gemmel was my solution,... the caracters have an opinion closer to reality, about subjects such as love, duty, honor..... plus the stories are more enjoyable for those of us who have been military..... and know the true hardships of conflicts..... to me his vision of Skillganon the Damed is great,,,and when you read anithing from Druss,.... you just smile, cus you see that old Master Sgt. talking, or that old Lt. Cournel,.... that was such a simple, but deadly S.O.B......... to me, that's what Gemmell brings out from caracters..... because am tired of freacking Dritzz,.... never wanting to get laid, or not even finding a godamm whore... Waylander would put two bolts on Du' Urdens head,... steal his coins,... and go get laid..... then charge Dritzz's own friends a furtune to find the assasin..... he is GREAT

Hahaha that made me laugh!

I have never read a bad David Gemmill book yet, but there can be too much of a good thing I think. I read about three of his books and then I was hooked and went through about 15 of them and sadly I got a little sick of the formula. Half ayear on now and I just picked up one that I havent read and it reminds me why I loved them so much in the first place. It's so hard to choose a favorite but I'd have to say

Dark Moon
Ravenheart & Stormrider
Winter Warriors

jenna said:
Legend is one of my all time favourite books, and it's easily my fave Gemmell one. i also liked the Lion of Macedon books. i know they're not a particularly popular choice. am i the only one who enjoyed them??

No I loved them as much as I love every other Gemmill book. I especially loved Lion Of Macedon because it made me want to read more Historical Fiction (I consider it sort of historical fiction) and I wound up reading the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell which are an amazing set of books!

Andyhug said:
No I loved them as much as I love every other Gemmill book. I especially loved Lion Of Macedon because it made me want to read more Historical Fiction (I consider it sort of historical fiction) and I wound up reading the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell which are an amazing set of books!

Bernard Cornwell is a great author you should try reading The Last Kingdom. It is another great book by Bernard.

I actually have it though I was waiting for the other books to come out (Assuming there are other books to come!)

i havent read that many but so far i think that the regeant series is the best,connovar was a cool character,bane was dertermined

SPOILER

When jaim died it was very upsetting

im currently on stormrider

I own every single book by David Gemmell that has been published in the U.S., and some of them I have read half a dozen times over the last 10 years or so. Legend gets my vote. Granted, some of the characters are a little stock, and some of the plot events are a little hokey (the girl and the crystal block, to name the most infamous), but the book has so much energy, so much power. Like so many artists, both musical and literary, I think Mr. Gemmel poured a great deal of his soul into his first effort. The Rigante series is fantastic, too, though.

Gemmell's characters are always strong, and he has suggested that his characters are based on people who have been very close to him.

I like the Big Lebowski avatar. "He stepped over the line!!" :)

One of my favorites are the ones in the dammed series, but over all the best has to be the Rigante Series especially Ravenheart, an amazing book form start to finnish, A brilliant read.

ravenheart gets my vote for def, stormrider is a close second with legend in third - it would be first if not for some niggly issues that have already been mentioned.

Ravenheart / Stormrider

This was a hard choice, I've not read Legend or Dros Delnoch(sp), but Sword in the Storm and Waylander 2 are close seconds. There were a few things about the latter Rigante novels that just stuck out to me. The character of the Moidart(among several others), the way it wasn't just a few characters changing the world, but the entire remainder of the only nation which chose not to abuse its power. Also it just had certain scenes that were well... powerful - the fistfight between Grymauch and the Vars fighter, the trial for Maiv Ring, the battlefield resurrection, Jaim's last stand, Huntsekker's sacrifice, the list goes on...

bnelson said:
I'll never forgive my friend for holding out as long as he did on this piece of book advice. Stumbled across Legend on his shelf, he read it once and forgot about it. Woe for him, he had the tip of an iceberg dipped in gold on his shelf. Nothing I have read from Gemmell has left me disappointed, just striving to find an excuse for the wife to spend yet more money at the book store.

On topic I would have to say that Ravenheart was my favorite, however there is not much seperation between any of these novels.

Instead of bookstores, check out eBay. You can usually get better buys, multiple buys from this source. I have managed to buy most of my Gemmell's from eBay.