Best Gemmell book?

I dissagree that gemmell is the most formulaic writer around. True, many of his stories have certain similarities, but many are very original and different. In my opinion David Eddings is THE MOST formulaic writer i have ever read. every book of his i have read adhers to the same formula, which i would like to point out is very similar to the formula behind lord of the rings. Hero goes on quest to rescue/destroy powerful magical artifact, many problems present themselves to hero, several members of heros small group die, hero rescues/destroys artifact, and has a happy ending, usually hero getting into a princess or high class chick in the end. i find david gemmells works much more enjoyable, original, and seperate from each other.

I am a massive fan of white wolf and swords of day and night but also the rigante series!

He is one of my favorite authors of all time. It was his works that got me hooked on the Fantasy genre. If I have to pick one of his books I liked more than any of the others I would have to say King Beyond the Gate. I thought it was a wonderful sequel to Legend.

I don't if it's the best, but my favourite DG's book is The King Beyond the Gate. Tenaka Khan is classic but really fantastic. Well maybe I will change my mind later, I still got to read some of the Drenai books, and the others series.(wait for them in pocket).

Knivesout - I have read every single Gemmell novel, some I have read twice and some thrice. The Drenai Tales are probably his most popular starting with the fanyasy classic 'Legend'.

However, my favourite series by Gemmell are the Rigante Tales. This series comprises of four books, Sword in the Storm, Midnight Falcon, Ravenheart, and Stormrider. Jaim Grymauch features in Ravenheart, and in my opinion is the greatest character ever created in a work of heroic fantasy. Now there is a possible thread in the making.

I find these rigante books the most enjoyable. My first impression apon reading them was I would not like them as much as his others, but loved them the most.

I hope Stella's new book to be released will be as good as the many fantastic books david wrote.

After reading this thread, I've added the following to my birthday/Christmas list:

Lion Of Macedon
Waylander
White Wolf
Ravenheart

I really want to read more Gemmell, but the one off-putting thing is that it's hard to find a place to safely start, especially when he's written so many books under the Drenai banner - gives the impression that they need to be read concurrently. Though if anything like the Rigante series I can understand why it's not an issue, if there's a long break in time between each novel.

I accidently read it first, but Winter Warriors was fantastic, it had such heart and soul, its difficult for me to compare it any other book.

Interesting choices here.

Legend/King Beyond the Gate/Waylander are classics.

But for me, there is one crowning achievement, worthy of standing next to Kay's 'The Fionavar Tapestry': Echoes of the Great Song.

I heard Echoes is kind of a wierd one that some loved and some hated. I need to get to DGs books again. Really love his books.

the rigante series has alot of telling in it. It also leaves massive gaps after book1 and 2 that make me think he could of wrote more in this line. They are nothing special....theu just tkae common elements and spim a very enjoyable yarn. I like them.

I read White Wolf over the weekend and have to add it to my list of favourites - I loved it from start to finish. I must admit I haven't been reading the Drenai novels in any sort of order. Waylander was the one that got me hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend. I thought the Troy trilogy was fantastic, too.

But my two favourites so far are Sword in the Storm and Ravenheart.

I still have 14 left to read, though. I completed my collection a few months ago, so I have them all on the shelf waiting to go - but I'm trying to spread them out cos I don't want to finish them too quickly.

Waylander! It was the first I read and I did so in a single night (no sleep till finish) and is the reason I got into Gemmell and now own/read all of his books :)

All I have to say is that all of Lord G 's books send shivers down my spine towards the end but Ravenheart is the only one that actually makes me cry. Read it six times now and every time I get to THAT scene and Maev shouts THAT line I just can't stop the waterworks.

I do actually own a signed first edition of Ravenheart. Best present I've ever been given. Ever.

I loved the Celtic realism in Sword in the Storm, especially the village life and the arguing couple.

I loved the feeling of a realistic ancient Greece in Lion of Macedon.

Legend is simply a fun, engaging read.

But I've just finished Echoes of the Great Song. Viruk - one of the greatest characters in fiction. :)

I am a God , but I am a God with a broken leg!
Of course I'm alive you idiot ! I am a God! - Viruk, what a total ledge!