Best Gemmell book?

jenna said:
i also liked the Lion of Macedon books. i know they're not a particularly popular choice. am i the only one who enjoyed them??

Nope, i really liked the lion of macedon, liked dark prince as well but not as much.

Personally my favourite (and therefore the best book by gemmel i've read) is knights of dark renown. I'm not sure if its because it was one of the 1st gemmel books i read, but I think it has very strong characters, and a cracking story to it. Plus i think that its one of the only books where the characters don't "spin on his heel" constantly hehe.

Haven't read legend. I'll have to pick it up next time i go book shopping.

I've read quite a few now and I think I'd go with the Rigante series ahead of his Drenai novels. Say, Ravenheart (although I do like Midnight Falcon).

I think that there all great, obviously, but it depends what mood your in when your choosing which is the best. Although there not my favourite, I think that the Shannow books are a good trilogy, they are a little offset to his usual writing becauseof where ther are set, you even have alternate dimensions, a talking computer and a nuclear explosion!

I love the Drenei series, especially Waylander and Druss, and I think I prefer tehm to the rignate series, but only slightly.:)

Ravenheart - first one i read and the one I've read the most, but the whole rigante series is good. I find them ... stronger than the drenai for some reason. Not quite sure why. I also like the swords of night and day, which I just finished recently! Oh and I agree that Jaim is probably the best character!

Ghost King was the first book I read and it hooked me so it has a special place in my heart, but the best book hes done is hard to say, I love waylander, wolf in shadow, and morningstar and could not decide between them

Hi i'm just joined so hi, i have not read my of his books but dark moon remains as my favorite. Closly follow by Ravenheart and lion of macedon. Unlike everyone else here i though legends was on of his worse books. How ever i have not read that much (12 or so) I think it lacks alot of the qualities uqunice to his writing. How ever i do like druss. But as far as everything else it is a sad excuce for Gemmell. It is very stagnate. And do u know where all of his book can be order from?

Torsellius said:
Hi i'm just joined so hi, i have not read my of his books but dark moon remains as my favorite. Closly follow by Ravenheart and lion of macedon. Unlike everyone else here i though legends was on of his worse books. How ever i have not read that much (12 or so) I think it lacks alot of the qualities uqunice to his writing. How ever i do like druss. But as far as everything else it is a sad excuce for Gemmell. It is very stagnate. And do u know where all of his book can be order from?

well legend was his first book, and he was just getting into his stride. personally i love gemmell, he is by far one of my favourite authors. his books are all very similar, but he writes them so well that they are always entertaining. personally my favourite novel is either ravenheart or hero int he shadow.

waylander is an amazing character, but the finale in ravenheart is astounding ly well written, with an amazing build up.

Torsellius said:

I think alot of the reason that i like Legend is because it was one of the first Gemmel books i had read.
While I think the later books he did with Druss are still good, it seems like he draws the character out too much, especially in the new Skilgannon The Damned series.
It doesn't stop the books from kicking ten kinds of arse though, in my opinion anyway
icon10.gif

cacotopos said:
I think alot of the reason that i like Legend is because it was one of the first Gemmel books i had read.
While I think the later books he did with Druss are still good, it seems like he draws the character out too much, especially in the new Skilgannon The Damned series.
It doesn't stop the books from kicking ten kinds of arse though, in my opinion anyway
icon10.gif

I know what you mean about the Skilgannon books, I really enjoyed the first one bit for some reason I wasn't tht keen on the second. Then again when im talking about gemmell books, 'not keen' means great opposed to brill!!

I luv Legend because its actually the first fantasy book I ever read, it got me completley hooked. For about a year all I read was Gemmell and so when I ran out of his books to read I just found other authors I liked.

Gemmell is one of my favourite authors. Although his books are similar he still branches out. I especially like what he did with the Jon Shannow books, the setting is so different to wht he usually writes but you can still feekl the same thing in those books as you do with the others.

Im rambling now so ill stop.:eek:

Considering I have only read Legend so far I would say that was his best. But I intend to read a few more very soon. :D

Hi just got on line and found this site, been reading his books for years. The first book i read was Dark Moon and is still the best for me but the Jon Shannow books come a close second.

thanks sanityassassin i'll try and be regular on this site still new to the internet. Had a think about his books and morningstar was prety good as well but its so hard to choose.

me to realy got into fantasy a big i'd say hes the best for the story telling and i've read a wide range of writers,it's because he doesn't spend endless pages describing things he just throws you in and your gripped from the start.

Most of his books are very well written. My favourites would be -

A Quest for Heroes and Legends

The best Gemmell book's are the Drenai series, with the endless wars and whirlwind romances. But Waylander must take pride of place in the series because he is not the sterotypical heroe but rather a man doing what he thinks is right and trying to atone for a life he would rather forget, he reminds me a bit of the punisher:rolleyes:

Personally I think the Drenai series can't hald a candle to the Rigante series. That noted, my favorite Gemmell book thus far is Ravenheart.