Have you stopped reading Wheel of Time?

I am currently re-reading the series, and I am up to book 6 of the wheel of time series. At this point in time, I am still continuing to read the wheel of time series.

Jordan's books (I forget exactly how many I have) are currently residing in the bottom of a very dusty box that will one day be destined for the second hand bookstore.

It's not that I don't like reading trilogies, I do, and even wrote one myself, however Jordan should have decently ended his series about five books ago. I'm not sure where the fault lies - him being greedy and trying to rope in more readers, or his editor not having the courage to set to the MS with a machete and trim all the dead wood away. That being said, his first couple of books were very readable, just he erred in going on and on and on and on.

I have just read the first one and plan on the next for next year.
So no, haven't stopped hehe. Just started either way.

Jordan's books (I forget exactly how many I have) are currently residing in the bottom of a very dusty box that will one day be destined for the second hand bookstore.

It's not that I don't like reading trilogies, I do, and even wrote one myself, however Jordan should have decently ended his series about five books ago. I'm not sure where the fault lies - him being greedy and trying to rope in more readers, or his editor not having the courage to set to the MS with a machete and trim all the dead wood away. That being said, his first couple of books were very readable, just he erred in going on and on and on and on.

I tend to disagree. I find that the series gets better as the story gets further.

Seeing as Mr Sanderson has wrapped up the series, would it be a safe bet that I start reading the books, use wikipedia to go throught the plot summaries for books 7 - 10 and carry on with the rest of the books? This is all according to the chrons mentioning that nothing really happens in books 7 - 10.

I also stopped reading after book 6. I thought the first book was excellent and then the Great Hunt was one of the best books I had ever read. The third was somewhat dull and the 4th was reasonable. I did really enjoy the 5th and 6th though, especially sections on the forsaken. What put me off is partly the repetition of such things as characters constantly pulling their braids, and also various poor reviews on the pace of books 7-10. 3 and 4 were slow enough.

I had given up on it years ago at the start of book 5...then in the past few years I had done a re-read slowly through the first 4 books. Because I am a huge Sanderson fan, I decided to read them so I could see how Sanderson wrote it. I am currently almost done book 9. I have read 6 in a row now, over the last 3-4 months. I must admit it has been a challenge at times sticking with it but I am actually enjoying it.

I think reading them back to back has helped keep my interest more than leaving a long space of time between them. I plan on finishing the 13th book just in time for last one to be released. Then I will be done and on to all the others I have missed because of the huge series read. (although I will be reading the new Brent Weeks book here as soon as it shows up at my door)

I read books 1-10 and I stopped reading the series because it was a long wait for Knife of Dreams. When KoD was published I was tired by the thought alone of having to read the book.

I've read the summaries on the (encyclopedia -wot) of the last three books and I'm glad I haven't read the books. I'm not even all that interested anymore in how it ends. When I was still reading the books I remember visiting Jordans website for updates and news.

I don't think I will read this series due to a lot of people battling to get through the troublesome books in the series. I really would like to have done so but I am not sure if I will just be wasting my time on it.

I think I managed to get as far as book 5 or 6 before I gave up. I have no desire to finish it.

I stopped at about book 4. It was nothing to do with the material, though I heard that when you get to 6-8 they drag. The real reason was that I hate being in the boat where you get to the last book and have to wait for the next one. I've been burned by Mr. Martin. Now that they are all out I will start from the beginning and work my way through all twenty million pages :)

Best, Rob

I don't think I could ever stop reading them. The series' middle is a slog, true, but that doesn't mean there's no value to it. The nuances and subtle events that occur are each gripping in their own way, and I've found it interesting to see just how each character's actions affect events all across the story's world, from politics, to folks' welfare, to the battlefield. It's not just a matter of "Aha! The evil-doer has been defeated, now everyone's happy while we hunt down the next one!" Rather, it's more like: "Right, so there's one bad guy beaten... Now let's see how the collapse of his schemes affect the people, lords, ladies and communities who were all tied up in them."

Book 10 was the only one where I thought too little occurred. It was a collection of background details, more so than anything.

I don't think I'd ever read an unfinished series. I've never read anything from WoT.

My younger sister gave up the series when Robert Jordan died. Just collected them all and gave them away as quickly as she could.

My older sister and her husband stuck through it all and laughed/cried/cheered while reading the final book. They say I'm missing out.

Thankfully I'm not the giving up type. Don't think I could start an epic series and not see it through. The middle books do start to srag a little, but there is still loads of world and character building in them, even if the story doesn't move on a great deal.

I did, however, read the books back to back. I'm sure that made a difference - not having to wait for a new one to be released.

I have a dilemma if ever I get back to WoT. I read the first 2 books many years ago and stopped, because it seemed to me that the protagonist reached his destiny at the end of book 2 and I didn't really see it had anywhere to go after that! Now its so long since I read 1 and 2, I can't really remember the series. Could I just start book 3, or would I have to backtrack again and reread 1 and 2 (because i doubt I can be bothered to do that)? Thanks for your thoughts.

If you can't be bothered re-reading books 1 (The Eye of the World) and 2 (The Great Hunt) you'll probably have trouble committing to the other 12 novels.

Rand had barely even started his destiny by the end of book 2, so maybe a re-read is worth it. The story had only just begun.

If you have trouble remembering things, then there are online re-reads like this

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

You can go into book 3 (The Dragon Reborn) if you want, though. You'd just be taking your chances. Its quite different from the first two, since it focuses so much more on the supporting cast.