Have you stopped reading Wheel of Time?

I agree with all your criticisms Thadlerian - I just didn't stop as early as you did, because I had a faint hope that it would manage to redeem itself as the books went on, and some of them were quite entertaining at times - unfortunately, they just get a lot worse from there. You stopped at what is generally considered the best point in the series - now just imagine what you've seen in the other books, but without the plot - that's what the last 3 books have been.

For what it's worth regarding Jodan's characterisation of women and his won actual experience/attitude thereof in real life, this is off his blog:

I do tend to let the women in my life have their own way most of the time. After all, how often does it really matter? In any enduring relationship, you have to choose the hills on which you are ready to die. At least if you expect it to endure. Besides, it has advantages. (I don't mind making this public, since Harriet has heard it before and doesn't believe it. Read on and see why she doesn't believe.) The women I have let have their own way have always done their best to make my life pleasant, which is very nice indeed. And just at the point where contempt might start creeping in because I seemingly am such a pushover, something inevitably comes up to which I say, not yes, but no. The result of this sudden shock is that all of her dendrites uncurl simultaneously, resulting in short-term physical paralysis and amnesia. (Yes, it also works with Harriet, AKA Wonder Woman.) By the time she remembers how to walk again, by the time she remembers her own name, everything has been adjusted as I wish, and all she is left with is the vague realization that something happened and matters are not quite as she would wish, but she can't see how to recover the situation. Additionally, she is left with the impression that I was somehow involved in this, which puts shadows of darkness and danger around me all over again, thus dispelling any chances of contempt forming, and we are back happily to me saying yes and her making my life pleasant. Plus being darkly dangerous adds to your level of being interesting, you see. Just because you don't ride a Harley any more doesn't mean your soul can't fire up the Fat Boy now and again. Even women who deny it find a certain fascination there. If you don't believe, just watch her eyes dilate the next time a Harley rumbles past.

Make of that what you will. Link

I stopped around Book 8 but I've bought the remaining books and will do so until the sereis ends before reading any more...:(

Green said:
It will only be 12 novels... Jordan has confirmed this a number of times over the past year or so.
The things Jordan has "confirmed" over the years have changed many times. I put no stock at all in his statements. The only thing that will press him to finally finish is the growing discontent with his series, as more and more fans bail and critical acclaim gets worse.

As I noted in this post, I'm not likely to ever finish the series, so bad it got. Still, just in case I ever have the urge to see how it wrapped up, I've bought the recent paperbacks in my used book store and stashed them away. That way, I'm prepared to finish it all if I want, while also ensuring I don't give Robert Jordan any more of my money. I've felt he has bled his fans of late, and I don't much like it.

I don't want to stop. I just cannot continue. I have tried reading book 10 CoT three times. And I think I have only gotten past the prolouge once. :(

I started the series some 13 years ago (I think). The first 5 books I just can't stop myself reading it again and again. Then the story goes down hill. I find it unfair for RJ to drag a major story event over a couple books (with the Final Battle as an exception). I expect an author to finish an event within the same book that it started.

For example: The battle for Tar Valon. It had been dragged on for three books. RJ took about 2 years to write a book, so that is 6 years of real world time, and the battle was still 'beginning'. How long will the Final Battle takes? About 2 chapters if the series ended at book 12.

Another example: Perrin rescueing Faile, I would expect Perrin to rescue his wife within the same book that she was kipnapped. Like he rescued her when she was hit by the 'misplaced' trap a few books ago. But no, it just keep dragging on... Let's not forget that this is just Perrin's wife, our main character Rand has 3 wives. I dread the day that all 3 of them are in perils :eek: And Matt hasn't even started yet.

Elayne fighting for the Lion's Throne is also ridiculous. Rand already HAD the Lion's Throne, but for Elayne's ego sake, he has to spit it back out so Elayne can pretends to fight for it. No sane noble would have compete with her knowing full well that she has the support of the Dragon Reborn, an army of Aiel, Black tower and half of White tower. Imagine what would happen, if some idiot actually manage to seize the throne and killed Elayne during the process?

Dragging these major events over several books is like having Rand set out to find the 'Eye of the World' in book 1, finding it in book 2 and finally using it in book 3. No one tells a story in such pace. It's just not fair to the reader.

Re, Winters Sorrow , thoughts of a female reader
I am a female reader of Jordans & there are a few things I find annoying about the WoT, like Rand having 3 women, I wonder if Jordan is some kind of sleaze bag?. I also find it irritating how he portrays the women, always throwing themselves at someone, even though they're meant to be pure, upstanding ladies, just look at Elayne's pregnancy. I also hate how some of the female characters start out strong and almost omniotent, eg Sheriam, Siuan and Morgase, and then are brought low and reduced to people of a mostly friviolous nature. Despite this I am still a fan but I'm not holding out much hope for the last book to be satisfactory.

I stopped reading the series. I just feel like the series hit a dead spot. I read it up to Winters Heart (or was it Path of Daggers?). Well anyway, it was around there somewhere. I may pick it back up, I do not know. I am waiting on Martin and I plan on reading John Marco new series. I enjoyed his first series. Just my two cents.

Read the first three books - no more. I've had enough. I like a series to actually end. I mean really end. As in ending, for good.

Except Xanth, but that is just silly. ;)

Done. Been done since Book 7 where I had waited for so long just to find that Jordan wasted the first 500 pages re-describing what happened in book 6 only from different perspectives. Pissed me off and I haven't read any since - don't plan to either. Honestly, I think Jordan has set up this ultra-detailed world with numerous plots and plans within plans and the series has turned into a monster that has taken over and is out of control.
He has dragged this premise out for far too long and it has cost him readers who were supportive of him from the first book.

And Chasenfate - John Marco's first series - The Jackyl of Nar, etc. - is fantastic!

Peace, all!
-g-

hedgeknight said:
Done. Been done since Book 7 where I had waited for so long just to find that Jordan wasted the first 500 pages re-describing what happened in book 6 only from different perspectives. Pissed me off and I haven't read any since - don't plan to either. Honestly, I think Jordan has set up this ultra-detailed world with numerous plots and plans within plans and the series has turned into a monster that has taken over and is out of control.
He has dragged this premise out for far too long and it has cost him readers who were supportive of him from the first book.

And Chasenfate - John Marco's first series - The Jackyl of Nar, etc. - is fantastic!

Peace, all!
-g-

I could not agree with you more about Jordan. The first books were great. I read up til about book 7 or 8 I can not remember. It was so long ago. After I finish Martins A Feast for Crows I will pick up Marco's new series. I hope it is wonderful like the Jackal of Nar. Why isn't there a John Marco Section here :confused:

I have read 1 to 8 previously (9,10 and 11 were not out then), although sometime ago and have recently started reading them again since I wanted to catch the whole story again from the outset so I shall see if I can maintain an interest past book 5/6 which is wherethe series seemed to lose its way the last time I read them. Apparently the last book (11) is not too bad and starts to tie things up but judging from comments here perhaps not...

ChasenFate said:
After I finish Martins A Feast for Crows I will pick up Marco's new series. I hope it is wonderful like the Jackal of Nar. Why isn't there a John Marco Section here :confused:
Basically if enough interest is shown over on the Books and Lit section of this forum on an author and in general discussion the moderators will monitor this and hence give rise to a section here specific to that author. I'm just not sure how many Marco fans are out there in the current membership. I for one have read eveything by John Marco and agree that his original Jackal of Nar trilogy is very good. Maybe not that original but a good gritty read with some nice twists in the storyline. I'm not so enamoured about his current series, although I've still read all of the books so far and await the latest one Sword Of Angels.

I was planning on getting the the first book of Marco's new series when I bought Feast, but they did not have it at the time :( . I figure after I finish Martin(which should be today) I will make a trip to the store and get Marco's book.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through A Feast For Crows and would like to start Marco's newest series afterward. I'm all for a Marco thread. :D
(sigh) So many books, so little time.
-g-

I stopped reading a while ago, the series has just gone to far. Jordan is just ranting now, he needs to advance the plot faster.

~and by the way, John Marcos new series is fantastic. I think it surpasses Jackyl of Nar, it is just a great book I can't wait for Sword of Angels (the third installation) to come out

I am up to Chapter 37 of Knife of Dreams, and trying to make it last! All Jordans plots are starting to come together nicely now...:D

Well I am glad all things are coming together, I just can't pick that series back up. It has been so long ago and I was just so disappointed with the last book I read I do not know if I could stomach it anymore...I still haven't had a chance to get Marco's new books. I have been busy with life. I just refinaced my house and I am about to start on build a garage. No time for anything it seems but work.

for now. i vowed that when he finishes the series, i may consider reading the books and finishing it, but i am not sure i care anymore. i read up to ten, but had stopped caring long before that. i don't even like any of the characters anymore, so i am not sure reading it, just to finish the damn thing, is worth it really. so, for now, yes, forever, i can't say!

and whos john marco?