Have you stopped reading Wheel of Time?

I've been reading WOT since the very beginning. Most of the books I have enjoyed, many of the characters are really good, although I feel as if Rand needs a good shaking up, to get him doing something towards the final battle. I hear Jordan dictated a lot of work before he passed away. I'll finish reading WOT even if written by another author.

Well, it hasn't quite been that long.:) EotW was published in 1990. But still, it was drawn out far too much:(

lol, i went to check it after i made the post and realised i was 20 years over the top there :eek:

and yeah, even though i hate to say it, i will read the final even if its by a next author - if only to have an ending given to me; i could make up a hundred more to my liking but its not quite the same.

I know what you mean. If we get a definite release date for the last book, I may even start a reread of the series, just to refresh my memory.

I have just got the first book-it took me awhile to even want to read it but I feel a bit left out!

How many books are there then?? The first looks big enough.:eek:

So far there are eleven books in the series, with one possibly left to be released. Some of them are even bigger than the first, too.

Thanks Talysia, sheesh I'm not sure I've got enough room left in my head for that many books!! So the last isn't out yet?? When I started reading the Eddings books, i didn't know how many there were, and they were a quick read. I haven't even finished the first chapter of Book One yet-tell me should I quit before I get drawn in??:eek:

I read the WoT from about 1994 (when I was 9) up to book 8 or 9.

I /loved/ books 1-4. After this point, especially after book 6, I began to feel it was a chore to read through. The story went from major character development - some of the best I've seen - to dreams, politics, and other things that completely bored me. Ugh, the chapters were full of White Tower hooplah that just drove me crazy.

Albeit, I was extremely young, so I may not have grasped all of the topics, and this may have been what annoyed me - but I do not believe this was the case.

I was probably more intelligent, and had a more articular vocabulary then, than I do now at 23.

Daisybee, definitely read the first Jordan book. It's a masterpiece, the world is fantastically real and well fleshed out, the characters complex and tangible and the story very enjoyable. Then you can cop out in the later books, like I and so many others did, but still have good memories of that first book.

Thanks HJ, I will read it-it just looks a bit dense and I've been reading some cool thrillers lately, so I guess my mind isn't in the fantasy frame yet!

I will continue!!:D

I hadn't read any fantasy in a long time, and then, on discovering the WOT series, got very excited at the thought of a huge fantasy world that I could immerse myself in. Unfortunately boredom began to set in around volume four, and I finally gave up somewhere in the middle of number six.

Hearing of the death of Robert Jordan has got me thinking that I should give it another try though.

I remember really enjoying the Eye of the World, it did get me into fantasy after all. Unfortunately, like Chupacobra, I gave up around book 4. I might be tempted to do a re-read of the first 4 and read the remaining volumes once the last book is published since I was rather young when I first read them. Although there are a lot of other books I would like to give a chance before that happens. Starting a 12 book series from the start sounds rather daunting to tell the truth, especially when I had already started and gave up.

Thanks HJ, I will read it-it just looks a bit dense and I've been reading some cool thrillers lately, so I guess my mind isn't in the fantasy frame yet!

I will continue!!:D

I know what you mean. There have been times when I've not been able to keep reading the books in sequence, and gone on to a different book or even genre for a bit.

Talysia, I have still not finished the first chapter!! I don't know why, it just seems like hard work, which isn't something I want from a book unless it's a particular kind of challenging read.

I guess I'll have to sit down, concentrate and really give it a good attempt.:)

Too many poeple have given the books a good crit for me to give up..but it feels like homework now! LOL.:D

It took me ages to read The Eye of the World, if I remember rightly. Three, no, four times, I think I picked it up and put it down again after trying to read the first chapter! I ended up skipping a lot, too (which probably isn't the best way to read a book).

That said, once I got into it a little, I found it easier to read. I guess it just has to be the right time to read a book like that.:)

I used to read the books in four days for each up until about Winters Heart, when I finally discovered that once you run out of books to read life can get sort of boring. For the most part they were hard to put down. (I don't know where I found the time to work, eat, and sleep) I read much slower now. After reading through all eleven so far, I can say that the Emond's field sequences were my favorite. I loved An Empty Road, and even the Prologue Dragonmount was good. Of course some people despise the beginning of the story because it was slow in pace, but I liked the mysterious quality to it all, that was lost once you get past the first chapters.

Four days for each book? Wow, that's pretty quick!:) I remember reading through books 2,3, and 4 fairly quickly (I can't remember in how many days) although I slowed down on the later books. I'm not entirely sure why that was - perhaps it was all the POV switching. When I do my next reread, perhaps if/when the last book comes out, I'll read them much slower too.

Once you get into them, though, they really do draw the reader in, in my opinion. Especially the early books.

I take three or four days to read them, too, normally (same when I reread, I pretty much do it to the detriment of all else).

But I have to admit, Book 10 and the second half of Book 11 struggled to maintain my interest.

Stoppped reading WoT?! Never! I LOVE the WoT series. To address the too much detail issue; I found that this enabled me to become completely absorbed almost a part of the story. The inconsequensial characters are like those people you meet in your daily life and never see agian- they can sometimes have a profound effect on the out come of situations. I can understand the length of his books can sometimes be frustrating but then they save me alot of money on new books as there is always something i missed the first, second and third time I read them. RJ was a genius. :p

Oh Wisdom, i agree, while it can be long at times, its when you reread them, that you realise the depth of his brilliance.

the world is a darker place without him.