What is your fave genre?

SillyWabbit

Whats your fave genre and why? :)

SF?

HORROR?

FANTASY?

:)

Hmmmm, I dont even know! LOL Depends on my mood, somtimes its fantasy, somtimes its SF :) Im not a great fan of horror but like it somtimes if its very good :) As of this moment in time I would have to say

1) Fantasy
2) SF
3) Horror

usually head for the sci-fi end of things...been known to read one or two thrillers and i love fantasy....lately self -bloody -help and thrillers.....go figure...also like the tv tie-ins from time to time...you think you're confused lol

aby

I like to read all three, less scifi, I think maybe :eek: me, an avid SG watcher, but I tend to read fantasy the most, but only cos there's more around.

I chose sci-fi as well. But my favourite sub-genre of sci-fi is what is called 'hard sf'. This type explores the technical aspects of the storyline in greater detail than standard sci-fi, which is something that really appeals to me. :)

The 'hard SF' books tend to explain more of the science behind the technical elements of the story. These books are usually written by authors who have a background in one of the sciences, like physics or engineering, and as a result, the ideas they put forward are often technically possible.

Examples of this type of author are James P. Hogan and Robert L. Forward.

Oh, right. Probably beyond me then, I go for more character stuff, aciton, romance, rather than theory.

What would you describe the Dune books as? SF or fantasy? They are probably my favourite books in these kind of genres - but I voted for SF, because overall that is what I would prefer to read.

When you say "hard SF" do you include authors like Kim Stanley Robinson? His Mars trilogy is nothing if not deeply scientific.
I had the feeling that most SF writers had some kind of scientific backgroud - the most obvious example is Arthur C Clarke, but other writers like Carl Sagan and Frank Herbert would fall under this description too. Hmmm, I also really like Iain (m) Banks - both his straight fiction and his SF stuff, I don't think he had much of a scientific background though...

While a number of sci-fi authors do have scientific backgrounds, they tend to be in the minority. In general, many authors come from a literary background, or have had a career in some kind of technical field, like computing. Those that don't have a scientific or technical background simply carry out some research instead, or consult the relevant experts in the fields they are writing about. Therefore, most sci-fi books are 'scientific', but the ones written by people like Robert L. Forward have more 'real' science in them than the others.

All the authors you mentioned are writers of science fiction, but their books don't really fit the description of 'hard' science fiction. Of course this is not a hard and fast rule, and I'm sure many people would disagree with what I am saying. But as someone who has read the 'classic' authors like Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein, I do not consider their books to be as 'hard' as those by the likes of Forward, who is still a full time scientist in the field of advanced physics.

If you want to check out what I mean for yourself, then you should read Dragon's Egg, Starquake or Rocheworld, all by Robert L. Forward. :)

Thanks for the info Technomage - I haven't read anything in any of these genres for a few months (been reading Noam Chomsky's political commentary, among other things!), but I will try out some of your suggestions and see what I think. I did study maths and physics at uni for a few years, but I sometimes find great amounts of scientific data hard to process within a narrative.

I'd have to say sci-fi as there's such a range of books within the genre & that means I can always find something to read :rolly2:

I vote scifi, but I have read all of them. Probably my favorites are scifi and horror, recently I have begin to read some fantasy and like it too.

Krystal :D

I voted for sci-fi, but I really think that sci-fi and fantasy are tied as my favorite genres at the moment.

I voted for horror, seems i'm the first one :)

I love watching sf and fantasy on the tv, but theres not so much horror around in the shows i watch. So i love reading horror thrillers :D

xxx

I voted for SF but I don't really like reading SF, or fantasy or horror for that matter. I prefer to watch SF but read history.

Yeah, for reading I prefer history above all else :)

i know this is kind of an old thread, but i just joined and wanted to comment.

hi!

i could not answer the poll, actually, as i do like certain aspects of all three categories, and dislike others. my favorite scifi books deal with utopia/dystopia, and can often fall into the fantasy category. i think the reverse may also be true. i like fantasy that has time travel or metaphysical aspects which might also be deemed science fiction. i'm not into books about unicorns or people named ZXetds∫3q, though. it's really just that i don't understand them at all.

i do enjoy what someone here termed "hard" scifi, which we always just referred to as technical or technology-based. but i'm finding it more difficult to enjoy the older ones, as their arcane understanding of a possible future tends to be more off-putting than kitschy. and their attitudes toward women were often a bit silly. i don't feel that way about older dystopia examples as much, and enjoy the old stories that relied more on idea and character than possible technical advances or calamities that have not come to pass. and i love the irony-themed stories of the post ww2 authors.

as to horror, gosh, it seems like a whole other country, to me. but i like much of that as well, if it's smart.

Of the genres , fantasy followed by science fiction.:cool:

I love necroposts. :giggle:

It'll always be Science Fiction at the top for me.
1. Space Opera
2. Hard SF
3. Horror
4. Humour
5. Thriller
6. Fantasy

Horror is difficult to do well, but if done right it is very exciting.

No disrespect meant to Fantasy, but for some reason, I have never been able to get into it.