What have you read so far?

LoTR and The Hobbit...I couldn't and can't get into Silmarillion, and have so far resisted buying the rest of the books...

The Hobbit (several times in different translations, several times in English),
LOTR (very many times in different translations, about three times in English),
some stories in English.

bigsinky said:
Hobbit, lotr, silmarillion, the whole history of middle earth(13 volumes), letters, tales from the perilous realm, finn and hengest, father xmas stories, the adventues of tom bombadil, the road goes ever on, biographies, beowulf:the monsters and the critics, loads of other tolkien related books. yes i am sad and have no life but what they hey, just love JRRT.

cheers

big sinky

I'm just as sad, i have read all of the above. So what's your fave?

The Book of Lost Tales I
The Book of Lost Tales II
Unfinished Tales
The Lays of Belieriand
The War of the Jewels
The Shaping of Middle Earth
The Lost Road and Other Writings
The Treason of Isengard
The People of Middle Earth
Sauron Defeated
Morgoth's Ring
The War of the Ring
The Return of Shadow

also Tolkien's Letters by Humphrey Carpenter.

http://fantasybookspot.com

I have read the Hobbit, the Trilogy, and the Silmarillion. I have also participated in very good story-based-rpg's online and my "playmates" and I have come up with one very good story indeed. But alas, we cannot publish for it is copyrighted!

Anyway, I've always loved Tolkien (more than Peter Jackson even if he won an oscar for it).

I've read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Sillmarillion, unfinished tales.

I've read these:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Ring's trilogy
The Silmarillion

The HoME books:

The Book of Lost Tales I
The Book of Lost Tales II
Unfinished Tales
The Lays of Belieriand
The War of the Jewels
The Shaping of Middle Earth
The Lost Road and Other Writings
The Treason of Isengard
The People of Middle Earth
Sauron Defeated
Morgoth's Ring
The War of the Ring
The Return of Shadow

Humpherey Carpenter's Tolkien's Letters

All the above are excellent, and essentil reading IMHO

Among other various stuff related to Tolkien, much of it is rubbish that people eput to much stock in (related to Middle Earth). I don't know how many time I have seen the Encylopedia of Arda quoted - and it's not absolute cannon, it is a decent refeerence.

I have read msot of Tolkien's non-Middle Earth books as well, for the most they aren't really what I would call necessary reading.

A ea linteresting anthology, Meditations on Middle Earth is a decent read, where more than a dozen or so authors including, George RR. Martin, Michael Swanwick, Robin Hobb, Terry Pratchett (among others) wrote essays regarding the impact of Tolkien's work had on them.

I've read the Lord of the Rings Trillogy and The Hobbit- which are both exceptional books in themselves. I started reading the Silmarillion but I have not yet finished it.

Amidala said:
So far I have read the hobbit and LOTR I did start the Silmirillion but i just...read the first few pages thought bah and put it down never picked it up since...though I am waiting for the motivation to pick it back up any day now ;)

I have read most of his works (including his Essays) and own a lot of them too.

I've read the Hobbit (in Dutch first, later in English), Lord of the Rings (Dutch, parts of it in English... next time I read it I'll try the English version), the Silmarillion (Dutch), parts of Unfinished Tales, (small) parts of HOME, and my father read some story to me when I was young. I know it was Tolkien, but can't remember which one. Must ask my dad.

You guys are making me look like a slouch! I've read LotR so many times I've lost count (including the appendices; and I've enjoyed those! -- uh, oh), The Silmarillion (which I found hard going first time around, when it was first published here; later readings I got to finding it creeping up on my favorites list); HoME (12 volumes here); Unfinished Tales, Smith of Wootton Major/Farmer Giles of Ham, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight/Pearl/Sir Orfeo in Tolkien's verse, what Ballantine published as The Tolkien Reader over here, Father Christmas Letters, The Hobbit (forgot to mention that at the beginning), various and sundry bits and blobs I picked up here and there (essays, etc.).....

Realizing I've read some of these several times, I realize I really don't have a life!!!! (But, then, who's complaining?)

• The Hobbit
  • The LOTR trilogy
  • Tree and Leaf
  • The Road Goes Ever On, in which Donald Swann sets some of Tolkien's Middle Earth songs to music, and which includes Tolkien's decorations, notes, and translations

Started with the Unfinished Tales (found on a very dusty shelf in a small town in India) and then realised there was the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Have also read the Silmarillion ... all in English and including the appendices.

Am currently working my way through the HOME volumes. Have finished with the Lost Tales and The Lays of Beleriand and am now in The Shaping of Middle Earth.

Have read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil ; Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; Farmer Giles of Ham; After the Ring -Stories in honour of JRR Tolkien

As far as the non-fiction ones go I've read the Father Christmas Letters; The Letters of JRR Tolkien; The Road to Middle Earth; Tolkien's World - Paintings of Middle Earth; Tolkien's Ring; A Tolkien Bestiary; Realms of Tolkien - Images of Middle Earth

All i've read so far is the LOTR, which I do intend to correct shortly. Been intending to get the Silmarillion for a while, and quite possibly more after that.

The Hobbit
The Trioligy
Unfinished tales
Some of the lost tales
Part of the Silmarillion

Did they change the Silmarillion in the last 20 years as I could not get into it at all ?