2.54 : The Omega Glory.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The one with the Yangs and Kohms.

IMHO this is a silly episode. It simply mixes elements of other previous episodes together, but does not do it very well. It is very like 'A Private Little War' with someone providing weapons to a single side of a frontier culture, in another 'Vietnam war' analogy. It has a misguided starship captain (Ronald Tracey) who has broken the Prime Directive, as in 'Bread and Circuses', and also as in 'Patterns of Force'. It has a 'virus' or some 'biological agent' which is cured by exposure to a planet's atmosphere (which the bio-filters somehow allowed up to the starships), and the search for immortality, which is almost another Trek cliché by the time it is used in 'ST:IX Insurrection'. And we once again have parallel Earth development, only that it is inconceivable that both the USA flag and Constitution (including the calligraphy), the slang words 'Yankee' and 'Commie', and the Pledge of Allegiance, could all have developed independently.

This can all be partly explained by the fact that it was originally written as another possible second pilot script, so the instrumentation, terminology, and backstory is a little different to what was ultimately produced, and is closer to that of 'The Cage'.

IMHO this is a silly episode.
No! Really? A silly episode of Star Trek?
Actually, I've got to agree. Of the 77 or so silly episodes, this was the dumbest. However, you've got to remember that in the 60s, television was pretty unsophisticated; science fiction doubly so¹. Network execs were just as idiotic then as they are now, so anything approaching credibility would've been axed.

1. Can you tell I watched Hitchhikers on DVD last night?

I used to think so, but it's hard to sneer at a humble 60s program when it's been totally eclipsed by the "sophisticated" 90s version - the V'ger episode "Neelix's Lungs".
Thing about "Spock's Brain" is it might some day be conceivable (at least, if he had that funky headband around his neck instead of his empty skull).

Disagree with you, Dave....

I guess sure-- you can go through the shows and take apart IF the plots lines mirrored any before them --- but what you aren't looking at are any of the moments between the characters.

Well-- anyway, for me, in OMEGA Glory-- the point in time when Spock is shot down by Tracy is so intense. If you watch the body language of Kirk (Shatner) as he responds, kneels down, places his hands on Spock....

That scene alone makes that episode a MUST KEEP for me.

:rolly2:

This episode is by far one the worst.

This episode has lots of issues. First off how its that that they had an exact duplicate of the American Flag and the Constitution? In the same universes, this is not a possible. The only way this episode would have worked is if the Enterprise had going into a parallel universe.

Nice fake by Johnny-Radar:

R.827e8c614f24b6d49db6f5337b0fe534