2.46 : The Gamesters of Triskelion.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The one with the Providers.

Disembodied alien brains in a glass dome, kidnap Kirk, Uhura and Chekov, to fight in gladiatorial games for their amusement. Kirk teaches Shahna the meaning of love, and the Terran customs of hugging and kissing. Chekov makes a poor show as a gladiator, while Uhura is left in the hands of someone whose designs on her are not aesthetic.

Kirk makes a wager with the lives of the Enterprise crew at stake, should he not defeat three thralls in a fight to the death.

After "Arena," which remains entertaining, the series maybe should have dropped the plot device in which aliens make people from the Enterprise fight.

Just watched this one for the first time in years. It's a poor episode that would go a long way towards supporting the stereotype of visual science fiction as being about cheesy props, ridiculous high-powered brain creatures, and women in skimpy costumes. I can't see that it adds anything good to the Star Trek body of lore, but rather than it annoys with yet another -- the series had so many -- episode in which super-powered aliens cause people to disappear with a doiiinnnnngggg! sound effect more worthy of I Dream of Jeannie. The presence of recycled propos -- not likely to be noticed by many viewers, but obvious to fans -- adds to the atmosphere of cheapness that breathes in almost every moment. In every way a regrettable effort.

I was never all that impressed with this episode.

Back