New Babylon 5 Project In The Works

Whitestar

Babylon 5 fans rejoice! :)

There is a new Babylon 5 project in the works. Creator Joe Michael Straczynski has called it, B5: TMoS, but so far he will not provide a clue on what the acronym stands for. For more information, here are two links:

http://www.theendoftheuniverse.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=330

http://www.visi.com/~wildfoto/spoilers.html

I recalled watching the "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" recently on the fourth season DVD set, the commentary version by JMS. It was the year 2364, the hundred year anniversary of the alliance which caught my attention. In the dialogue something rather vague was mentioned about David Sheridan. JMS expanded on this in the commentary saying that he had gotten many questions from fans about what happened to David Sheridan. He basically said that he didn't want to say because it could be used a for a story later down the road (in more words then not). What he did say was that in fact the drake parasite (given to him by Londo) did in fact affect him for a time. And there was a time that he "wasn't himself". And that it had consequences.

Anyway, I thought it would be appropriate for a new project. Maybe it means, "The Memory of Shadows" and the story was what happened to David. I think it'd fit perfectly into the story arch (because JMS already knows in his mind what is going to happen) and it is a story I think with relative ease can be done in a two hour film (whether TV or feature, athough I think this idea in particular would fit TV better, but I think it could work on the big screen). It could also effectively bring back some main characters such as Garibaldi and Delenn, which would be pretty cool. Just doing some speculation here! What does everybody else thinks?

Whitestar

It could be interesting, but I'm afraid my enthusiasm died with series 4. I even bought one of the follow on films on video and it's so goddam awful I can't even remember the title of it.

I may be an inveterate cynic, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. The trouble is, what can actually be written about B5 that is actually meaningful? The real storyline was in B5 itself. But...here's a tentative toast to hope.

I said:
It could be interesting, but I'm afraid my enthusiasm died with series 4. I even bought one of the follow on films on video and it's so goddam awful I can't even remember the title of it.

I may be an inveterate cynic, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. The trouble is, what can actually be written about B5 that is actually meaningful? The real storyline was in B5 itself. But...here's a tentative toast to hope.

Well, I will admit that season 5 was not great, however, it did have several episodes that were quite engaging and interesting. The Season 5 DVD set is the only one left for me to get and I plan on getting it soon to complete my collection. Soon, the tv movies and Crusade will follow. As for the Babylon 5 new project, we will have to wait and see. I will say that now that JMS had time to really think this new story through (whatever it may be) I'm betting that it will be good, if not great. Call me an eternal optimist. :D

Faith manages.

Whitestar

Indeed, Season 5 did actually have it's moments - but overall the effect was to diminish the impact and effect of the prior season. The scripting just seemed so darn rushed and badly connected for it. It cheapened the bab5 project, IMO. But the preceding seasons remain very much worth watching.

I said:
Indeed, Season 5 did actually have it's moments.

Absolutely. Episodes that focused on the Fall of Centauri Prime, the telepath storyline and the episode Day of the Dead were quite interesting and engaging. :)

Whitestar

Anything to do with the Centauri is interesting. :)

What's good about that aspect is that it actually tied in with earlier episodes - it seems like this was one part of the original story still running. Londo foresaw the Fall of Centauri Prime in Season 3 at least, so it was a good tie-in with the way the whole project had been moving before.

I'm not a huge fan of TV in general, but B% had me addicted from the pilot episode and I've seen everything released for it as well as read most of the books...I even bought the tabletop RPG although the system isn't very good.

So....I''ll watch any new film and hope that they manage to recapture the magic that made the first 4 series work.

I notice the original post was back in June last year - any further news on this?
I certainly haven't heard of any new B5 stuff coming out..