Staff member
9.13 : Audrey Pauley.

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

This episode was very interesting. We have the opportunity to see more of Doggett and Reyes feelings, specially Doggett feelings because Reyes we have see more often. It was very special, and I really enjoy RP acting in this one. The replica of the hospital and how Audrey see the coma patients was very cool. Is a shame that she have to die at the end. I enjoy it very much. ;)

Krystal :p

I liked this episode too although I felt bad about Audrey at the end. I liked the whole ghostly foggy effect when they were on Reyes. And I just have one other thing to add. He should have kissed her. ;)

I found it difficult to watch, a little uncomfortable. Anyone who has had to make those decisions would, and it would be most unhelpful to anyone who has to make them yet.

Apart from that I found it a little strange. I also don't believe Monica would have jumped at the end; she isn't especially religious, she has never said she believes in an afterlife (although she has a Masters Degree in Religious Studies) yet she is willing to risk her existence on Audrey (who doesn't appear to be altogether there) having realised "who it was that made me build it" [the model].

I'm in no way any kind of shipper, but Doggett should have kissed Reyes at the beginning, and he definately should have kissed her at the end. Has he become a monk?

Actually, after thinking about this episode some more, I think it was a big cop-out by the writers...

The idea of a place between Life and Death is certainly not a new idea. There was even a film called 'Flatliners' in which medical students begin to explore the realm of near death experiences, hoping for insights. However, after setting this place up that brain-dead people go to before the plug is pulled on them, half-way through the writers back-track on the idea, and tell us that it is only a one-off circumstance. It only happened because Audrey Pauley made it happen, and because those people had really been murdered by the Doctor.

This never usually happens in an X-File story, usually the plot is much more hazy, leaving more than one explanation possible. IMHO they realised that this was a very contentious issue and so escaped any criticism by deliberately making that point very clear.

What they didn't explain was why the Doctor was killing his patients? They mentioned 'Doctor Death', but in the very small number of cases where Doctors have killed their patients, they did still actually have a motive -- some misguided 'Euthanasia' or 'for personal financial gain' in being a will benefactor. So, what was his?

At one point they almost were heading towards an 'organ transplant donor' motive, in fact, Doggett seems to have a really big problem with organ transplants, without any explanation given.

Maybe this episode had a major rewrite, that can happen, and they originally meant that to be the story, but it was such a contentious issue that there was a block put on it. I know that in the UK, such a story would be unlikely to be shown, after the events in the Alder Hey children's hospital.

If there was ever meant to be a reason for Doggett's aversion to transplant surgery, I doubt that we will ever find out now.

Also, what happened to the nurse the Doctor murdered? Why didn't she get transported to the house as well. If she had, she could have told Monica the whole story about half way through the episode, and they could have solved the riddle much more quickly.

Sorry, but I just didn't like this episode at all!

I thought it was a good episode in the respect of Reyes trying to figure out what was going on, also the way Doggett got so upset about Reyes and not believing she was 'gone'. The only explanation I can think of for him not wanting the transplants was of his belief Reyes was not dead.

Also as you say Dave why didn't the nurse 'arrive' at the house? I did wonder that too. No explanation wa given in how Audrey was able to 'see' the patients in the model hospital.

Bit disappointed that no reason was given for Doctor Deaths attitude and for killing patients for unknown reasons.

annette :)

yeah i was a bit disappointed that they were doing the whole Evil doctor thing again! :(

Other than that i kinda liked it. Like Annette just said, i don't think Doggett had anything against transplants, he just didn't want to accept Reyes was gone. As for Monica not jumping, i don't see how she had any other option, they were about to cut off her life support.

i misssed the first few minutes of the ep though - was that conversation the 'you're a dog person' one?

Originally posted by Maria8475
i misssed the first few minutes of the ep though - was that conversation the 'you're a dog person' one?

Yes, they had a Dog or Cat conversation in the car before Doggett got out (without kissing her)

I did think to myself at one point why doesn't she jump off the edge? I know she dropped a cup or something over the edge - an experimentation I suppose to see what would happen. Mind you if they/she did that then episode would be over I guess.

annette :D

Originally posted by Annette
I did think to myself at one point why doesn't she jump off the edge? I know she dropped a cup or something over the edge - an experimentation I suppose to see what would happen.

That was my point: She knew that the cup got electrical sparks and disappeared just like the first patient did (and later the second patient), but she felt she trusted Audrey Pauley enough to jump anyway. Would you?

well its definatley obvious that they have feelings for each other!!! i think its cute mulder and scully the 2nd!!!!!!

mulder and scully the 2nd!!!!!!

I don't think so. I mean I think they are cute together and all but they are missing something that I think Mulder and Scully had. I don't know whether it's chemistry or what but it just wasn't there.