1.23 : Fallen Hero.

The Enterprise is headed for some much-needed shore leave on the planet Risa. But the ship gets reassigned to head to the planet Mazar to pick up a Vulcan Ambassador. The Ambassador is being expelled from the planet due to alleged criminal misconduct. In actual fact, the ambassador is on a special mission, and has difficulty telling Archer exactly what is going on. Things get even more complicated for Archer when the Enterprise is pursued by the Mazarite equivalent of the mafia, leaving it to fight its way to the Vulcan rendez-vous point.

Episode Number: 022
Production Number: ENT 40358-022
Original UPN Airdate: May 08th, 2002
Original Sky One Airdate: June 03rd, 2002
Original Channel4 Airdate: 2002
Mission Date: 2151

At a convention in Seattle Dominic Keating said that the Enterprise will be attacked by a "white squid- like creature" in the episode. Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) and Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) hung from harnesses for hours wrapped up in a "white gushy thing" while the sequence was filmed. (February 27, 2002 - TrekToday)

Roxann Dawson: "I really have to take my hat off to Scott [Bakula] and Connor [Trinneer] who spent days suspended in harnesses covered in slime without a single complaint. They were somehow able to maintain their sense of humour under extreme circumstances. [...] This episode was difficult, challenging and... well, at times I thought it was almost impossible. We had to create an alien organism which grows and takes over cargo bay, ensnaring some of the crew in its web. How do you create such a creature, make it believable and make it scary?" (March 07, 2002 - TrekToday)

Rumoured to feature the Enterprise encounter a ship owned by a race known as the Kreetassens. When the crew inadvertently insult the aliens, a lifeform from the Kreetassen ship boards the Enterprise and nests in one of its cargo bays. With its octopus-like tentacles it snatches several members of the crew, including Archer and Tucker, leaving T'Pol to come up with a way to rescue them. (March 13, 2002 - TrekToday)

Rumoured to feature Malcolm Reed inventing the first energy "force field." (March 13, 2002 - TrekToday)

Scott Bakula has revealed that 'Fallen Hero', which will air in a double bill on May 8, features Emmy-winner Fionnula Flanagan, who previously appeared in both The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, as a Vulcan.

"She just kicks it," he said. "She's an ambassador, and she is like Indira Gandhi. She is incredible. She has this whole thing with T'Pol and me. It's a really good episode."

When a Vulcan ambassador is accused of secretive criminal misconduct, Enterprise is asked to transport her back to the Vulcans. Following an attack by a corrupt alien race, T’Pol defends the Ambassador and, for the first time, asks Archer for his help.

Sure does look good... there is far more about this episode than has been published so far

Story By: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga and Fred Dekker
Teleplay By: Fred Dekker
Directed By: Roxann Dawson

Guest Stars:

Vaughn Armstrong as Kreetassan Captain
Joseph Will as Rostov
Renee Goldsberry as Kelly

Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a convention in Seattle Dominic Keating said that the Enterprise will be attacked by a "white squid- like creature" in the episode. Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) and Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) hung from harnesses for hours wrapped up in a "white gushy thing" while the sequence was filmed. (February 27, 2002 - TrekToday)

Roxann Dawson: "I really have to take my hat off to Scott [Bakula] and Connor [Trinneer] who spent days suspended in harnesses covered in slime without a single complaint. They were somehow able to maintain their sense of humour under extreme circumstances. [...] This episode was difficult, challenging and... well, at times I thought it was almost impossible. We had to create an alien organism which grows and takes over cargo bay, ensnaring some of the crew in its web. How do you create such a creature, make it believable and make it scary?" (March 07, 2002 - TrekToday)

Rumoured to feature the Enterprise encounter a ship owned by a race known as the Kreetassens. When the crew inadvertently insult the aliens, a lifeform from the Kreetassen ship boards the Enterprise and nests in one of its cargo bays. With its octopus-like tentacles it snatches several members of the crew, including Archer and Tucker, leaving T'Pol to come up with a way to rescue them. (March 13, 2002 - TrekToday)

Rumoured to feature Malcolm Reed inventing the first energy "force field." (March 13, 2002 - TrekToday)

Originally called 'Vox Solis' ('Voice of the Sun'), the title was later changed to 'Vox Sola,' which means 'A Lone Voice' in Latin. (April 16, 2002 - TrekToday)

this is actually ep 23, the one described above - about the giant squid thing, is ep 22 --

This one - eh - it was okay - I was kinda disappointed that their trip to Risa was diverted by Starfleet --

the 'plot twist' was a bit predictable -

but - Reed got to shoot his phase cannons! woohooo!

(and I missed ep 24 - forgot they were airing 2 - oops)

I didn't see the first thirty minutes but the end was great!! I liked how the crew worked together. I was holding my breath and crossing my fingers the whole time they were trying to reach .5.

very good episode... The vulcan female was excellent.. gave tpol a run for her money..

even shhok hands with a human.

This episode cleared up a number of questions for me:

V'Lar said she wanted to practise "her English". Finally, we have some definate proof that English is the language of Starfleet. No Federation Standard or Esperanto spoken on this ship.

Captain Larraq's (ascifi member) surmise from the 'Fight or Flight' thread, that Enterprise has a laser weapon apart from the torpedoes and the photon cannon, is blown out of the water here too. If they did they would certainly have tried to use them before dropping out of Warp to use the photon cannons (which cannot be used at Warp as it destabilises the Warp field -- but Reed is working on that.) They were desperate to hit the Mazerite ship with something, but didn't even discuss those.

And Warp 5 is the maximum speed --

Archer: "It's a Warp five ship".

Trip:"On paper!"

I always assumed that Risa was a fairly unknown place at the time when Riker recommended it to Picard in "Captain's Holiday" TNG. I partly based that on the fact that the TOS Enterprise never went there, even though there were several times they stopped for R & R, most noteably being "Shore Leave" TOS. On the other hand, it may be that Picard is the type who just doesn't care where ordinary people go on vacation. That fits with the way they were building his character during that part of the series, though he lightened up a lot afterwards.

I've read that V'Lar's line: "They are members of an organization that's infiltrated all levels of the government, making themselves wealthy and powerful at the expense of many innocent victims," is an ENRON joke!

Archer’s "Is there a problem?" line is becoming a recurring phrase.

The Sh'Ran or Chiron, or whatever (the huge Vulcan space-cruiser) looked impressive. I could see more of those in action sometime.

Well this certain old dog (V'Lar) learnt new tricks... She never trusted humans before but does now.

I loved the warp 5 comments..