Romulans in season 2?

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
ST Communicator interview w/ Rick Berman: Introducing Romulans into season 2 of ENT.
How are they going to manage that and still maintain continuity?

they could:

Start by making them a more mysterious and xenophobic race similar to Babylon 5's Shadows even if they're already more established in the other shows. Whatever they do, I hope they don't churn out the usual 'political thriller' stuff, anything that resembles the dominion war or the events in Balance Of Terror. I'd rather see a more original take on how the Romulans are presented.

or

The Romulans should be a quiet race. One that is present but is hiding in the shadows. First they will gather as much information about their neighbors as they can and then strike. This should lead to the Earth/Romulan War, the creation of the neutral zone and the founding of The Federation.

(Sorry, I've not been subscribed to this Season 2 forum, there not having been anything here to read before.)

I would prefer option 2.

Or else, for B & B to come up with a startling, original, and thought-prevoking new premise. . . Okay then, I'll settle for option 2.

I agree with the idea that they should be a "hidden prescence" manipulating evens, not unlike the Future Guy of Season One (who I think is 30th century Starfleet). -James (not QWXY but a friend)

Romulans Coming To Enterprise?

(from SciFi Wire.)
Rick Berman--co-creator of UPN's Star Trek series, Enterprise--told the Star Trek: Communicator Web site that the Romulans may appear in an episode next season [season 2], according to a report on the TrekWeb fan site. Berman told the magazine that he'd like to enlist John Logan, who wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Star Trek: Nemesis movie, to pen the episode.

"Yeah, he would love to do that, and we would love to give him that chance," Berman said. "It's all going to have to do with his time. He has three huge movies that he is working on now. We'll see what happens. But there will be no Romulans involved in this first season of the show, so it would likely be next season."

Bringing Romulans into the universe of Enterprise would be tricky, as current continuity holds that Romulans didn't make first contact with humans until the time period of the original Star Trek series. [actually, it's not SEEN by humans, as in their 'image on screen'! They fought a war together, so they must have made contact!]

Lots for the writers to think about before they make another mess out there

answer to thread question

we will never 'see' the romulans as TOS was the first time they are seen by anyone.
also by my recconing we should not meet the romulans until season 4 or 5 as there is a gap of at least 4 years between meeting the klingons and the Romulans.

also i thought that fist contact with the Klingons started a huge war??

I merged your answer with the existing thread.

Romulans are rumoured to appear in the third or fourth episode.

For continuity they cannot be seen, even on a viewscreen, but they could be heard.

As for the Klingons, I think IIRC the quote was that the first contact with the Klingons was distasterous. It didn't mention a war, and disasterous could mean anything, even what we see in Enterprise almost fits.

An idea!

from Dark Horizons
Brannon Braga recently talked with Cinescape and revealed two things we can expect to see in the upcoming season. First up, "Gladiator" writer John Logan may show up to help write and develop the pre-Kirk era Romulans for the series - an interesting challenge as Logan helped to slightly reinvent the race for the upcoming "Nemesis" feature. A difficult idea too - its long been established in Trek lore that even though they engaged in a long war a few years after "Enterprise" is set, humans never officially saw Romulans face-to-face until the Kirk era. There's already plans for the third episode this season to do an "Acquisition"-esque trick like they did with the Ferengi.

I've had my own idea after reading that:

Maybe we don't see any Romulans, but we do see Remans doing all their dirty work.

Since John Logan invented the Remans, this makes sense to be having him writing the script.

I don't know much about ST: X 'Nemesis' (trying to avoid big spoilers) so I'd still be worried about continuity -- like why did we never see Remans during TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY??

Some reason why they were hidden would have to be invented.

More detail on John Logan/ Romulans & continuity from Trek Today:

TREK TODAY -- For 'Star Trek: Nemesis,' screenwriter John Logan created an updated version of the Romulans. It now looks like the scribe may also become involved in shaping the Romulan culture from Captain Archer's time.

"[He] has told me that [he'd be interested], and we'll see because he's a busy guy," Enterprise executive producer Brannon Braga told Cinescape (via TrekWeb. "I have a feeling that when we ask him, 'Are you ready ?' he'll probably be writing Spielberg's new movie and not have time. We'd be thrilled to have John do some work on Enterprise. He's been a big supporter of Enterprise and really has had some great input over the season. In terms of actually doing any real work on the show, we'll have to see what his schedule is."

As to the actual way in which the Romulans will appear on Enterprise, Braga said he wanted to be careful not to interfere with the things Logan already established for 'Nemesis.' "I think I can say without getting into too much trouble that every early in the season we will have our first brush with the Romulans. But I also will say because of 'Nemesis', [...] , we don't want to step on NEMESIS' toes, which is the Romulans of Picard's time. But Captain Archer will have a very lethal brush with the Romulans very early on."

TREK TODAY -- Many fans reacted with alarm to reports that the Romulans would be making an appearance in Enterprise, but according to executive producer Brannon Braga, there's no need to worry.

"We see their cool ships, but we never see the Romulans," Braga told Star Trek: The Magazine. The Romulans first appeared on screen in the Original Series episode 'Balance of Terror' and will feature in next week's Enterprise adventure, 'Minefield'.

"I think it's cool that on 'Nemesis' you can see the Romulans of Picard's time, and at the same time you're seeing the early encounters with them on 'Enterprise;' there's great synergy there," Braga continued.

"But I think you've got to be real careful about going back to the old guys too much, because it looks like you're desperate. I did like the Ferengi show, but I'm in no rush to see them again. I've always had mixed feelings about the Ferengi because they're so broad, and we have no immediate plans for them," he said.

Another Original Series race that might appear in Enterprise is the Tellarites. "Well, if we do see them you can be sure that we'll do to them what we did to the Andorians, which was to modernise them and make them more believable," explained Braga. "I wouldn't be surprised if the pig guys showed up! But I don't want to just throw them in there for the sake of it. It would be great if they had some reason to be there, like the Andorian show, which really worked out well."

He also offered his thoughts on this week's 'Carbon Creek'. "It was actually pitched to me by Dan O'Shannon, who is an executive producer and head writer on Frasier. [...] I talked to Rick [Berman] about it and we both loved the idea, but we kind of felt it was too off concept to do in the first season, we thought we should maybe hold on to it. So we did, but we did it right away in the second season."

Braga admitted that parallels with the Original Series' 'City on the Edge of Forever' were deliberate. "We thought about that show when we were trying to figure out how to get these Vulcans into different cloths, and we took some of our cues from the Original Series," he said.