1.18 : The Squire of Gothos.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The Enterprise is confronted by a powerful alien, apparently an impudent adult humanoid fascinated with Earth's history, but in reality he is a child, playing with them as if with a toy. It is these aspects which have led fans to compare it with 'Encounter at Farpoint' TNG, and speculate that Trelane is really a Q. He even puts Kirk on trial, just as Q does later with the crew of the 1701-D.

Kirk initially treats Trelane as he would Harry Mudd, playing off his idosyncrasies while looking for a weakness. He mistakenly destroys the mirror in front of the machine from which he thinks Trelane draws his power, just as he would if he found a computer running the lives of the inhabitants of some world, and only then does he realise Trelanes true power.

Although it's fun, I think the story's ending is too similar to 'Charlie X' TOS.

And "Charlie X" is a far better show. Star Trek didn't need a camp alien who evidently was meant to make viewers think of Liberace.
Image634397415449108399_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

upload_2017-7-30_11-30-6.jpeg

This was the worst of all the episodes.
Even as a boy, when it first showed I thought it a waste of time.
It was poorly acted, had no tension and the squire inspired no threat or sympathy.
Even the lost and nostalgic Apollo did better. (I felt quite sorry for him at least)
And as you say, Extollager, the campy Liberace effect was just irritating. (Except Liberace felt less plastic)

I just watched it and my first thought was whether or not the Squire was a member of the Q.

this episode could be something of a guilty pleasure of mine as I found it quite fun. The ending of the squire being just a naughty boy was a bit silly.

Last edited:
I just watched it and my first thought was whether or not the Squire was a member of the Q.

this episode could be something of a guilty pleasure of mine as I found it quite fun. The ending of the squire being just a naughty boy was a bit silly.

He was a actually likable.

It’s a shame we judge older Science Fiction so harshly. These shows were bloody brilliant when I saw them first time around. They’re still enjoyable, but come across somewhat naive.