Anderson ad-libbing, give me some examples

catgirl

Canadian, eh?!
Hey, I know this sounds kinda weird, but I know that Richard Dean Anderson ad-libs alot of the stuff on Stargate. Could you guys give me some examples of the stuff he has ad-libbed, like quotes? Thanks
Catgirl

RDA

The most famous is 'Space Monkey' at the end of 'Serpent's Lair'. Michael's family nickname for him is 'monkey' as his little brother had trouble saying 'Michael'.

Rick just grabbed it and ran with it. No one had a clue he was going to do that at the end, but it came out so great and Michael ran with it so well they kept it in the final cut.

Rowan

I read, saw, heard that during the boxing bout scene in 'The Fifth Race' Teal'c really punched O'Neill on the nose and the 'Is my nose bleeding?' and 'You are fine' were ad-libbed. Apparently,also, there was a lot of ad libbing in Window of Opportunity too when they were told to just 'make up the time' because the writers hadn't written anything.

Sorry I don't have the quotes or anything but the scene in Nemesis (season three) where Danny is in the infirmary after having his appendix out is all ad libbing..as Michael had really had his appendix out and they wanted him in a scene and Danny and Jack were told to make something up...I like the lines

Daniel: Did you ave your hair cut
Jack: Yeah, why
Daniel: No reason

About the spacemonkey thing as well....when Michael was asked about that at SG4 he replied that he had no idea why Richard said that...

:D

One of the best sources to confirm adlibs are the directors commentaries on the DVDs for season 4 onwards. They often comment on which lines were adlibed and which are scripted. It sometimes upsets the writers that fans asume that RDA adlibs all the funny lines and they don't write any of them!

'Dogs are my favourite people' from Learning Curve is an RDA line. The scene at the end of Small Victories where Jack is telling Thor about the 'bass which grow this big' I think is a 'make it up as you go along' script -BTW the director commented on how they like beaming Jack out in mid sentence.

Can't recall any others but will let you know if I come across any in the next few episodes.

Originally posted by bel
-BTW the director commented on how they like beaming Jack out in mid sentence.

LOL poor Jack...I think its funny too though! ;)

Hey thanks guys, keep it goin'!! I think that O'Neill is an awesome character, and he says some great stuff!:D I think part of what makes the character so great is that he and RDA are so much alike, at least in the sense of humor department. If anyone thinks of any other ad-libs, post away!!:rolly2:

Thanks again!!!
Catgirl (meow) ;) :D

this is an old one so everyone probably knows it but i'll post it anyway!!

It's not an RDA adlib but in Children of the Gods AT's reference to MacGyver is adlibbed, the look on his face then is v funny!

Exodus

'We are SO going in' and 'This is so the last time I help anyone move'

Both 'so's added by RDA to the written script.

This is a cool thread, good idea catgirl :) dont remember any at the moment tho sorry :(

:fangs:xxx:smokin:

(meow)thanks for the input (and the encouragement)
I think that part of what makes this show so great is the fact that the writers etc., just let the actors goof of, and put in their own stuff, that they think fits the character. The ad-libbed bits are some of the funniest moments in the whole show! Anderson seems to ad-lib the most. Maybe because he's a producer, so he's allowed? Or maybe that's just his personality, and they found out that he was good at it.

Catgirl;) (meow)

When RDA was trapped on Atlantis with the human replicators and being probed the line he was supposed to say when asked by the replicator how he could resist the mind probe was I just like to close my eyes and think of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. So he did not like that line so instead he said I just like to close my eyes and think of England.