Great Fantasy authors?

Lidora said:
I must put in another plug for Robin Hobb. I recommend reading all her trilogies in the order they are written. Even the ones that have different protagonists have an uncanny way of intertwining. They are amazing novels worth any fantasy lover's time.

I will also put in my two cents about George R. R. Martin. It was by mere chance that I picked up A Game of Thrones from the library. For some reason I got it stuck in my head that the series was a trilogy. It wasn't until the end of Clash of Kings that I realized my grave error. I have been eagerly awaiting A Feast for Crows for quite some time now, as I'm sure many Martin fans have. I've decided that I will reread the first three fairly soon in order to prepare myself for the fourth's publication, but I have yet to decide a good time to do so seeing that it is very uncertain when his next installment will be out.

Next on my list, only in an order of who first came to mind, is Marion Zimmer Bradley. I read Mists of Avalon when I was a sophomore in highschool. The novel quickly became one of my favorites and I have reread it a few times since then. I actively discourage any from seeking out the mini-series that was made for tv a few years back as a representation of the novel. Everything that was the heart of that story was lost when it was transposed in such a lazy manner to the screen. I especially recommend Mists of Avalon to the female reader. It is a novel that truly talks to women.

My list goes on, but these three currently ride in the top three positions.
Wow, I agree with all three of the above. But I seem to be pretty fickle when it comes to favourite authors and such. It's usually whoever's books I last read... which in today's case would be Robin Hobb.
And OMG! I thought GRRM's series was a trilogy when I first started reading it as well.

Hobb is good yes, and it is important to read Liveship Traders before the Tawny Man (IMO). I liked GRRM better than Hobb though. I have read Mists of Avalon and it was,... ok. I would easily put Tolkien in there for his ability to create a world as in depth as he did.

i was a bit surprised to see Goodkind mentioned as a "fantasy great". his first 4 books were good. or they were good stories with good characters, if not that skillfully written. these days, i'm not sure if i can even bring myself to read book 9, after the travesty that was Naked Empire. the reasons i would count Goodkind out as a fantasy great would be a) he puts too much philosophy in his books these days, at the expense of the plot and my sanity and patience. and b) he doesn't consider himself a fantasy author. he's said time and time again that the Sword of Truth series isn't fantasy. riiiiiiiight... so he's either delusional or delusional. take your pick...

as far as actual greats go, i have to give props to Piers Anthony. (as per usual!) and Marion Zimmer Bradley (does Gemmell count? i'm not sure, i've never read anything of his that was fantasy as such, but i'm not sure what general genre you'd cast him under...) . and a special mention to up-and-coming great, Sara Douglass. one to keep your eye on!

I don't know if I've replied to this before (I'm sure I must have...), but anyway, Steven Erikson. simple;)

Fantasy is not my favorite, but in this style some authors are sure to grip my attention :
- Jack Vance
- Fritz Lieber
- Glen Cook
- Terry Pratchett
- Marion Zimmer Bradley (although I know better her sci-fi work)
Otherwise, my decision to read will depend a lot on my mood and on the text of the back cover.

Some other light entertainment that hasn't got a mention:
Margaret Weis & Tracey Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles (& others).
What I like about W&H is that every series they write is different to the last, so while there have been those I did not enjoy so much, at least it was new, unlike other authors (Eddings)
Guy Gavriel Kay - Fionavar Tapestry
R.A Salvatore - open Tolkien fan, but easy light read
Additional votes for David Eddings (Belgariad/Mallorean/Elenium/Tamuli ONLY), Raymond E Feist, Robert Jordan, GRRM.

Greetings all. I am new to this site, but found it when I searched for great fantasy authors. I have checked out some of your recommendations and would like to add a few of my own. I would say that right now in the realm of adventure fantasy Laura Resnick rates a look. She has completed her first trilogy and succeeded in creating a very believable new world, complete with moral codes and customs. She rates right up there with Robin Hobb and Tad Williams. As for Goodkind I agree with some of the other writers. His first few books were very good if one overlooks his rather elitist political philosophy, but lately he seems to have run out of ideas. It is time for him to wrap up the series and start something new. Other authors I have found worth reading are Raymond Feist, David and Leigh Eddings, and of course Terry Pratchett.

Drachir said:
Greetings all. I am new to this site, but found it when I searched for great fantasy authors. I have checked out some of your recommendations and would like to add a few of my own. I would say that right now in the realm of adventure fantasy Laura Resnick rates a look. She has completed her first trilogy and succeeded in creating a very believable new world, complete with moral codes and customs. She rates right up there with Robin Hobb and Tad Williams. As for Goodkind I agree with some of the other writers. His first few books were very good if one overlooks his rather elitist political philosophy, but lately he seems to have run out of ideas. It is time for him to wrap up the series and start something new. Other authors I have found worth reading are Raymond Feist, David and Leigh Eddings, and of course Terry Pratchett.

Hello and welcome drachir, though I was hoping to see you say hello in the introductions section I will say hello here. You have listed alot of my favorite authors (with the exception of Goodkind); have you read any GRRM?

I am waiting on George R Martin - I hear that he writes very well, but I fell into the Goodkind trap when I started reading his uncompleted series. I refuse to to that anymore. There are dozens of complete series out there for me to read and I will read every one before reading one that leaves the reader hanging on for the next book.

jenna said:
these days, i'm not sure if i can even bring myself to read book 9, after the travesty that was Naked Empire.
You must be one of the terrible people trying to destroy all good things Goodkind recently ranted about:

From this chat:

"Question: Lately I've found myself in many arguments defending your books against 'fans' who say they used to like your books but no longer do to the extent that they used to. Would you mind settling some debates by answering the Question: What, if anything do you have to say to the people that voice the opinion that you're latest four books haven't been as good as the previous four and call them "too preachy"?

Answer: Don't be fooled. The assertion made by these detractors is a note wrapped around a brick thrown through the window. These people are not fans. There are hundreds if not thousands of fantasy books that fulfill their professed taste in books. Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good -much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them."

Better watch out, Jenna. Terry Goodkind thinks you're a bad person.
the reasons i would count Goodkind out as a fantasy great would be a) he puts too much philosophy in his books these days, at the expense of the plot and my sanity and patience.
But haven't you heard the news? He is changing the face of fantasy with his remarkable work. His is among the most innovative work on the shelves these days. Don't believe me? He says so himself in that same chat:

"What you are seeing with my novels is something unique. They are not like all the other fantasy books ...
What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of fantasy. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it"

You see, he has risen above the need for plot or characters or story.

(I clipped a good deal of the stuff where he outlines that people hate him because he "dares to inspire and uplift." Somehow I see Goodkind, so in love with his own ideas,
establishing his own religion within the next ten years)
and b) he doesn't consider himself a fantasy author. he's said time and time again that the Sword of Truth series isn't fantasy.
That's correct. Goodkind consider "fantasy" a term beneath his deep, "innovative" (his word) books. It is a ******* label he has sadly been saddled with. From the same chat:

"I would like to clarify an important point that is often the source of confusion: I am a novelist; I am not, in the essential sense, a fantasy author ... To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals ...
My books are novels that deal in important human themes involving the faculty of reason. I tell these stories through heroic characters."

As you can plainly see, Terry Goodkind is one of the most important authors the fantasy genre has ever seen, because he better than fantasy,

Drachir said:
I am waiting on George R Martin - I hear that he writes very well, but I fell into the Goodkind trap when I started reading his uncompleted series. I refuse to to that anymore.
I opted to take up the same philosophy following my experience with Robert Jordan (who turned me off from massive series in general for quite some time). If there is a multi-part series I am interested in, great. I'll read it when it's done. Martin's series has thus far been the only exception.

Shoegaze99 said:
You must be one of the terrible people trying to destroy all good things Goodkind recently ranted about:

From this chat:

"Question: Lately I've found myself in many arguments defending your books against 'fans' who say they used to like your books but no longer do to the extent that they used to. Would you mind settling some debates by answering the Question: What, if anything do you have to say to the people that voice the opinion that you're latest four books haven't been as good as the previous four and call them "too preachy"?

Answer: Don't be fooled. The assertion made by these detractors is a note wrapped around a brick thrown through the window. These people are not fans. There are hundreds if not thousands of fantasy books that fulfill their professed taste in books. Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good -much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them."

Better watch out, Jenna. Terry Goodkind thinks you're a bad person.
But haven't you heard the news? He is changing the face of fantasy with his remarkable work. His is among the most innovative work on the shelves these days. Don't believe me? He says so himself in that same chat:

"What you are seeing with my novels is something unique. They are not like all the other fantasy books ...
What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of fantasy. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it"

You see, he has risen above the need for plot or characters or story.

(I clipped a good deal of the stuff where he outlines that people hate him because he "dares to inspire and uplift." Somehow I see Goodkind, so in love with his own ideas,
establishing his own religion within the next ten years)
That's correct. Goodkind consider "fantasy" a term beneath his deep, "innovative" (his word) books. It is a ******* label he has sadly been saddled with. From the same chat:

"I would like to clarify an important point that is often the source of confusion: I am a novelist; I am not, in the essential sense, a fantasy author ... To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals ...
My books are novels that deal in important human themes involving the faculty of reason. I tell these stories through heroic characters."

As you can plainly see, Terry Goodkind is one of the most important authors the fantasy genre has ever seen, because he better than fantasy,

ROFLMAO! i've actually read that chat, and those comments were what turned me off Goodkind in a major way. oh, that coupled with Naked Empire of course!

Well, my favourite Fantasy authors are;
David Gemmell
Terry Prachett
Raymond E Feist
David Eddings
George R R Martin
Robert Asprin (myth series, thieves world & several conan books)
Terry Brooks (for the Shannara series...till he killed off their best character!! D'oh!)
Lian Hearn
Piers Antony (Xanth....what a creation!)
Joel Rosenberg (Warriors of Flame series)

I haven't actually bought any Terry Goodkind books (luckily as it turns out!) as his work didn't appeal to me anyway.

If I was being harsh though, one of my criticisms with Fantasy authors in general is that many choose to elaborate on their success rather than create a new one, Eddings changes the names of the places and characters but essentially keeps the story the same, Fiest elaborates on his world through time as does Terry Prachett.

Don't get me wrong! As a fan love that I get told new stories in a familiar environment but its very "safe" isn't it? Some of the thrill of not knowing what's coming next is lost a little.

It is a very harsh criticism because many of these authors have used these new stories to richly enhance their world, not merely cash in, but I do feel that they can paint themselves into a corner and into a comfort zone.

Anyway I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak from that post so I'll just nip off and get my helmet! ;)

I am so glad somebody mentioned Fritz Lieber, I was afraid I was all alone in Lankhmar. Don't forget Roger Zealzny for Amber series either. Otherwise, I have to say for newbies to the realms of fantasy I usually recommend David (and Leigh) Eddings' Belgariad. It is easy to read, and has the best character dialogue of any fantasy series. I promise you will actually lay the book down to laugh out loud before resuming reading. Personally I like Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Lynn Flewelling, Robin Hobb, R.A. Salvatore, and G.R.R. Martin as well, but try to gauge what I recommend to others depending on books they have read in the past with similar writing.

Heck no I ain't kidding! I laugh like a madman reading almost anything by Eddings. The jibes and smartass comments Belgarath and Beldin and Polgara throw back and forth, not to mention Silk's dry wit generally have me laughing out loud (Ask my better half.). Like I said, a great introductory series to newbies, and great for those re-reads when you want a bit of humor. I'm a sucker for characters I would actually like to spend a night in a tavern talking with, and Belgarath would definitely be on the short list for my favorites, even if the women in the story are much smarter than he is at times. Read Belgarath the Sorceror (written from Belgarath's point of view) ,then tell me you don't laugh, and you need to dial the local police station because someone has made off with your sense of humor. Very entertaining storytelling makes for good reading, sometimes more so than the story itself should allow.

Last edited:
Well, I'd certainly laugh, but not because it was any good;) Mind you, I haven't read any Eddings for 4 or 5 years...

Michael Moorcock
HP Lovecraft
Clark Ashton Smith
Alan Moore
Susanna Clarke
Jeff VanderMeer
Rhys Hughes
George R.R. Martin
KJ Bishop
Fritz Leiber
Robert Howard
Zoran Zukovic