1.12 : Miri.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The Enterprise finds a decaying and deserted city on a planet of children.

The first of many episodes featuring a planet that developed 'just like Earth'. This kept the studio accountants very happy! The 'city street' studio set is the same one used for 'The Return of the Archons' and 'The City on the Edge of Forever'. Kirk says quite rightly, "It seems impossible, but there it is."

If Miri is 'Wendy', Jahn is 'Peter Pan' and the "onlies" are 'the lost boys'.

Also appearing in this episode were Grace Lee Whitney's two sons, and William Shatner's daughter.

Miri was the episode where Gene Roddenberry invented AIDS - the adults all died because when they hit puberty their natural immunities failed

It's also one of the famous banned episodes that the BBC wouldn't show. Though I think they might've shown it once then banned it subsequently. Their rationale for this and the other three was "because they all [deal] most unpleasantly with the already unpleasant subjects of madness, torture, sadism and disease". The others were 'Whom Gods Destroy', 'The Empath' and 'Plato's Stepchildren' and those three were definitely not shown on UK TV for many years.

The loss of those three is no great loss, but I don't see "Miri" as in that category. The poor fellow at the beginning (with the tricycle) is scary enough, though, that I could understand some misgivings about showing that one as family-hour fare.

I liked all three of those Third Season episodes, actually. The Empath is the first Trek episode I remember watching in its entirety (I was 6 -- it was 1980).

Miri isn't very good, but the exact replica of Earth is a fascinating idea. I had the idea that the galaxy was a kaleidoscope, segments endlessly repeating, and that's why you had so many copies of our planet -- and probably others.

Miri was next in the queue. Crikey, how old were those teenagers? :ROFLMAO:

Another great story which kind of had a PKD vibe to

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V David Gemmell 11