1.07 : The Naked Time.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
1.7 : The Naked Time.

A weird space virus causes the Enterprise crew to drop their inhibitions and reveal their true selves.

This episode was crucial in the development of the TOS characters, just as Kirk was split in two in the 'Enemy Within', here we see two sides of Spock, and heightened characteristics of the other crewmembers. It worked so well that TNG copied it with 'The Naked Now'.

This is the episode where Sulu runs amok with his foil! He calls Uhura a "fair maiden" to which she replies "Sorry, neither!"

Why does Joe Tormolen take of his bio-hazard glove? Not that the suit seems very good quality, there is a gap between the hood and the rest of the suit! Probably the reason we never see them again!

Why doesn't Scotty beam into engineering and get Riley, instead of spending ages cutting a hole in the wall? Then he touches the burning hot metal with his bare hands! This is Riley's first appearence, though he only appears once more he becomes one of the most well-liked characters.

With teleplays such as this one, Star Trek's crew really was trying to make science fiction that wasn't monsters-for-the-kids or hi-tech spy stuff. Adults will likely understand the idea pf suppressed feelings and fancies manifesting, while kids may think the affected crew members are just acting gooney. The problem of the disease and the problem of the decaying orbit are both solved, we are to take it, by hard scientific work and some willingness to take risks, not by superpowers, magic aliens stepping in ex machina, etc.

The time machine thing at the end was a possibility for the series that, happily, was not taken. We had enough cheap-looking episodes seemingly built around historic costumes-on-hand as it was, or rather more than enough! (Nazis, gangland Chicago, Old West, etc etc)

Riley's sentimental-Irish-singer bit has always been a little cringe-making, but they could have come up with something worse for a crewmember affected by the "disease."

Riley's sentimental-Irish-singer bit has always been a little cringe-making, but they could have come up with something worse for a crewmember affected by the "disease."
Colm Meaney refused to dress up as a leprechaun in a similar DS9 episode If Wishes Were Horses, and it was changed to Rumpelstiltskin (though he had no problem for the 1999 film The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns.) Colm Meaney claimed it would be an offensive stereotype against Irish people. Today we would call it 'cultural appropriation.' According to Meaney, “Using caricatures or clichés of any nation is not something Star Trek is or should be into.” He obviously never watched this episode.

An excellent episode overall. McCoy, Spock, and Scott really shine in their roles. The swashbuckling Sulu is an image I've always loved. It's especially great as he wants to be a Musketeer and not a samurai.

1.7 : The Naked Time.

A weird space virus causes the Enterprise crew to drop their inhibitions and reveal their true selves.

This episode was crucial in the development of the TOS characters, just as Kirk was split in two in the 'Enemy Within', here we see two sides of Spock, and heightened characteristics of the other crewmembers. It worked so well that TNG copied it with 'The Naked Now'.

This is the episode where Sulu runs amok with his foil! He calls Uhura a "fair maiden" to which she replies "Sorry, neither!"

Why does Joe Tormolen take of his bio-hazard glove? Not that the suit seems very good quality, there is a gap between the hood and the rest of the suit! Probably the reason we never see them again!

Why doesn't Scotty beam into engineering and get Riley, instead of spending ages cutting a hole in the wall? Then he touches the burning hot metal with his bare hands! This is Riley's first appearence, though he only appears once more he becomes one of the most well-liked characters.

The Next Generation did a sequel to it .

I loved this episode and it was the first one in which i felt comfortable watching. The crew i know and love are all together and I didn't really notice the aging effects and sometimes poor acting.

It's amazing how often, in real life, I seem to hear an ethereal Riley saying"One more time!"