6.14: Older and Far Away

obcooke

OB-Wan
Episode 6.14 Older and Far Away

Buffy's birthday party is so much fun that no one wants to leave... or is that the real reason everyone stays?

there were some VERY funny parts in this episode! like - every time Tara said something to Spike -- hehehe!! very subtle on Tara's part! she was very good!

jealous-ish Spike is quite funny too - as is 'squirming b/c someone else might know something' Spike! ;)

this episode, in general, was quite good - gave a bit of focus to all the characters (big plus in my book, anyway) - sure, there was a lot about Dawn - in a very not-subtle way - all the camera pans to her after every verbal exchange - but everyone else got some air time too --

strange thing tho - Dawn tried and tried to tell everyone - all through the ep - that she felt lonely, but it wasn't until the end with the vengence - oh sorry - "Justice" - demon that they actually understood -

and the BEST scene: the demon - Anya's friend comes in and takes a double take at Spike then: (sorry, i don't remember the demon's name - think it's Hal'frect or something)

Demon:"William?"
Spike: "Hey, wait a minute?"
Buffy: "Do you two know each other?"

then the demon and Spike kinda look at each other and say something equivalent to 'no, not really, no never seen him/her before in my life/unlife' --

very funny!

that and when Tara asks about Spike's cramp!

i know - i'm fast - just watched the ep and then it was time to get online (no JAG tonite - preempted for basketball - dang it)

I wonder if they are going to have more happening between Halfrek (Cicily) and Spike (William). Could you imagine what the Scooby gang will think of Spike when they find out that he was a bad, lovesick poet when he was bitten? :D

It's been a long time since I was a teen age girl, but I don't think I was as whiny as Dawn but then I hadn't gone through finding out that I wasn't real, having my mother die, going through all that **** with Glory, and then having my big sister die and then come back to life ... not to mention just going through all the teenage stuff that one goes through. I do hope they continue on with this though, paying a bit more attention to Dawn and her needs, and not just go back to the way it was now that it's out in the open.

I did love Tara and her scenes. She's really a very pretty girl when they stick in her in clothes that fit and look nice. Her teasing of Spike and her protectiveness towards Buffy and Willow were great.

Anya, well she went off the wall but then I can rationalize that by saying that she thought they were all gong to die and she's been going through a pretty tough time of it herself. She's definitely growing as a human.

Cheers,

yes yes -- Halfrek and Spike could make for some interesting scenes -- one snag tho -- unless the potential 'wedding' is held inside - Spike will be unable to attend - that whole 'burst into flames' problem and all --- but these two - man - there is just a whole boatload of comedy waiting to happen there - if they play it right!

Anya - she's getting better - she used to annoy the heck outta me! drove me nuts, and for the most part still does, but when she was yelling at Dawn about stealing - had to give her some credit -- (are we sure that Anya's not part Ferengi? as capitalistic as she is :) )

and yes - they should focus more on Dawn - too often all these 'other' characters - the non-Scoobies - get left out of the story -- they may not be part of the 'gang' but they ARE part of the opening credits and should get their share of the airtime -- there should really be some kind of developing story w/ both Spike and Dawn (not necessarily the 'same' story - just something) --

and, yes, Dawn seems a bit 'immature' for her age - been like that since she was 14 - i think they've written her a little 'young', she always seems to act more like a 10 or 12 y/o than a 14-15 y/o --

Tara - she's a lovely character -- i almost like her better 'post-Willow' than 'with Willow' -- she seems to have more of her 'own' mind, etc. on her own than she did with Willow - like Willow was a bit 'overpowering' ---

but - this was a good ep --

the commercials made it seem like the big demony thing was what had trapped them in the house - but it was nice that the demon wasn't the problem - i mean, i know it WAS a demon, but it was Dawn too ------

Spike and Spells

i was watching this episode again the other day and something hit me - something that's kinda been buggin' me ---

Okay - I wanna know why some spells work on Spike and other demons, and some spells don't.

Ie: Halfrek's spell on the house in 'Older and Far Away' worked on Spike and the floppy skinned guy, but Glory's spell that made all the 'humans' forget that she and Ben were the same person, didn't.

And the song spell that Xander cast - that worked on Spike, and the one Jonathan did in "Superstar" worked on Spike too. So, why is it that the only one that doesn't seem to work is the one Glory cast? And she's supposedly much stronger than the rest of the 'spell casters'.

This has just been bugging me for a while and I was wondering why some worked and some didn't.

i don't know, but it proably has something to do with the fact that some spells are written specifically for humans, and others aren't.

ok, gotta say that i do think tara is better post-willow. loved the whole 'cramp' thing! i can't wait to see what she does in the future to irritate spike. this could be fun!

anya was pretty good in this episode i thought. like when she started freaking out and yelling at willow, i thought it brought otu some deeper parts of her character. that and when she started yelling at dawn and was tearing apart the room. the way thru the whole ep that she kinda like wasn't taking any excuses from anybody. i think it might be foreshadowing to how she might handle the whole buffy/spike thing when she finds out.

and what's with xander hooking buffy up? he's never liked any of the guys she's liked before, what makes him think he could pick the right guy for her?

i loved how spike just kind of invited himself to the party. almost like he knew that that other guy was gonna be there. loved how jealous he was acting, and how buffy reacted when spike would start giving the guy a hard time. i wonder how long it's going to take him to figure out that tara knows? also, i don't think he really recognized whatsherface. when he knew her she was still human, and when he saw her again she was all demonie. he had that kind of 'i think i know you from somewhere' look on his face, but i don't think he recognized her yet.

oh, and as far as whatsherface, uh Halfrek or whatever, i was thinking. anya got screwed over by a guy so she became a vengence demon that specialized in harming guys. Halfrek was saying that she specialized in neglectful and mean parents, and that's kind of why she 'helped' dawn. ok, i know this could be totally wrong and all in my own imagination, but hear me out. say she after william/spike died/disappeared she blamed her parents for her not being able to see him because she really did like him. i mean, she did act kind of glad to see him. so that's why she focuses on mean and neglectful parents. plus, that would be great irony if she bacame a vengence demon because of spike, only to learn that he's been sort of alive all this time. i think that would be really funny.

yeah - i didn't get Xander hookin' Buffy up either -- it's a bit out of character for him ---

and - i haven't yet decided whether i think Spike recognizes Halfrek or not --- *she* recognized him - no doubt there, but him - it could go either way --- 'hey, wait a minute' is Spike for 'yeah, so what - i know you, you know me, let's not tell the whole world the real truth' or 'huh? who the bloody hell are you? and how do you know my name's really William?'

and i still wanna know about the spells -- b/c it still looks like the ONLY one that hasn't worked was Glory's --- *if someone has another example of one that didn't work - let me know*

i could have sworn there was another time that happened, but i'll have to check and get back to you.

[Highlander II: and i still wanna know about the spells -- b/c it still looks like the ONLY one that hasn't worked was Glory's]

I don't think you can say that the spell didn't work. It worked perfectly - on humans. Why wasn't it designed to work on non-humans? Because we wouldn't have had the comic relief of Spike trying to get everyone to remember what he told them.

This is one of my pet peeves, BTW. Spells are an invention of the writer's. I don't expect them to make sense or be logical because they don't have to follow any rules. The spells do whatever the writer's want them to do, without rhyme or reason. It's like that point in the story where the story-teller says, "Don't ask me to explain how or why, just go along with it for the story's sake."

Which is why I like science-fiction more than fantasy. Generally, I don't like magic as a story element, because it's kind of a cheat for the writers.

[Highlander II: and i still wanna know about the spells -- b/c it still looks like the ONLY one that hasn't worked was Glory's]

Okay here's something maybe: Glory wasn't originally from our dimension (their dimension). So possibly the spell didn't work on demons/quasi-demons/whatever ... just humans. I don't remember but did the spell work/not work with any other demons that had been running around? It wasn't working on her minions.

Cheers,

right - i wasn't saying that Glory's spell didn't work 'at all' - just that it didn't work on Spike -- and he said it didn't work b/c he was 'less than human' -- well, he has been for the last 120+ years, so, why do other spells work on him and this one didn't?

it's an inconsistency - and the 'comic relief' was wonderful - but it'd be nice if it was explained somewhere ---

and i don't remember any other demons (as in - not Spike or Glory's minions) even being aware of Glory -- most of the demons who ever saw Glory were working for her -- and Spike never saw her change except that one time -- (b/c that would have totally ruined the big 'surprise') ---

i mean - he wanted Willow to do that love spell on Dru - why, if spells don't work on vamps/demons? but, like i said, the only time he says one doesn't work is when he's talkin' about Glory -

is it possible that some spells are designed to only work on humans? sure --- i'd just like to know that's what it was supposed to do -- it doesn't ruin the mystery, it just keeps the continuity straight ----

suspension of disbelief can only be carried so far ----

Originally posted by Highlander II
right - i wasn't saying that Glory's spell didn't work 'at all' - just that it didn't work on Spike -- and he said it didn't work b/c he was 'less than human' -- well, he has been for the last 120+ years, so, why do other spells work on him and this one didn't?

I know. I said that maybe it didn't work on Spike because Glory isn't from our dimension.

is it possible that some spells are designed to only work on humans? sure --- i'd just like to know that's what it was supposed to do -- it doesn't ruin the mystery, it just keeps the continuity straight ----

Actually, and I can't remember, if Spike did say it didn't work on him because he was less than human, then that's the way it was supposed to work. Possibly so that all her little minions wouldn't forget about her and what's his name.

Cheers,

[VAMPette: Is she supposed to be the same character i.e. Cecily turned demon or vamp or is it a coincidence that the same actress plays both?]

**Continued from another thread**

There is a moment at the birthday party where Halfrek (whatever) obviously recognizes "William", but I don't think from Spike's reaction that we can be certain that he recognizes Cecily. They did both deny emphatically that they knew each other, but Spike may have just been reacting out of instinct.

ya know - i wonder if they're gonna explore that any -

b/c while it was terribly funny, that scene, it'd be nice to do some 'follow up' on something like that --

This was rather a strange episode. Shame for Dawn in some respects that someone other than close family guessed how alone she felt.

Funny at times when you could see peeps attempting to go towards the front door and not getting there.

Overall thought it good, glad someone eventually guessed who was was responsible for the spell.

annette :D

Originally posted by Highlander II

Maybe Glory not knowing much about this dimension specifically created her spell for humans as the kind of dominant race in this dimension - she didn't seem the most perceptive of creatures, maybe she just didn't think about demons, or didn't think it mattered if they knew. The spell that Halfrek created was for everyone in the house, therefore Spike and Clem couldn't leave just like everyone else, just like Willow's spell in Tabula Rasa (or whatever) worked on everyone in the Magic Box.

I think that Spike did recognise Halfrek but probably didn't want to admit it in front of the Scoobies cos of the last time they met. Halfrek was kind of preening herself in front of Spike which seemed strange considering she didn't think much of him last time they met - maybe because he looks so much better now!

Originally posted by VAMPette

Maybe Glory not knowing much about this dimension specifically created her spell for humans as the kind of dominant race in this dimension - she didn't seem the most perceptive of creatures, maybe she just didn't think about demons, or didn't think it mattered if they knew. The spell that Halfrek created was for everyone in the house, therefore Spike and Clem couldn't leave just like everyone else, just like Willow's spell in Tabula Rasa (or whatever) worked on everyone in the Magic Box.

Glory not perceptive? one sniff and she knew Spike was a vampire - and she came to the Hellmouth - i'm sure she knew she was on the Hellmouth - and she knew about the Slayer - so, not knowing about demons and vampires and such - nope - that doesn't fly - and many demons worshipped her - Doc being one of them, so i'd assume there are others, he was just one of the 'strongest' (magically) - she would know about demons in this dimension - she just didn't care about their well-being -- so, i'm still looking for an explanation - i mean, even if it's just that some spells are specifically designed one way and others are another - but, why Glory wouldn't make her spell work on all creatures - is just odd -

VAMPette

I think that Spike did recognise Halfrek but probably didn't want to admit it in front of the Scoobies cos of the last time they met. Halfrek was kind of preening herself in front of Spike which seemed strange considering she didn't think much of him last time they met - maybe because he looks so much better now!

yeah - i noticed the preening - kinda what turned me toward 'yeah, they know each other, they just won't admit it' -

and since she was so *nice* (insert sarcasm here) to him before, yeah, i can see him not wanting to admit to knowing her

interesting.. i didn't pic kup on the whole Cecily thing with Halfrek at all, I just thought that Hally had seen Spike somewhere before... now it makes sense.... and a very nice twist to the story...

The Buffy and whastshisface story reminded me of her and Scott in "Faith, Hope and a Trick" a little...

And Tara's "cramp" comments, v funny :lol:

Not a bad eppy all round...

yeah - Cecily and Halfrek are played by the same person - so, i was kinda expecting something to come up in the ep -- (sometimes spoilers are fun!)

trying to remember "Faith, Hope, and Trick" - i know the basic premise -- Scott - he was the kid who wanted to go out w/ Buffy, but she was still sorta mooning/mourning over Angel, right? okay - yeah - gotcha -- hmmm - yeah - i can see that here too ---

could catch!

Back