Changes made in the film (FOTR).... MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

DCBastien

Sound and fury
Changes made in the film.... MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

By definition, this may contain book spoilers.

So, what do you think about inclusions/exclusions? Anything you think we didn't need?

I think the loss of Tom Bombadil and the adventures upto Bree is a great shame, but probably not a great loss to the overall film.

LOTR is not a simple novel- it is an epic of three 200K word volumes- Each volume is more than twice the size of an average novel. Something had to give. The fun comes in trimming the Two Towers. There is much less to lose.

I think the same. Sad as it is, they weren't central. There is going to be a right old butcher job in TT if they take ANYthing out really. But IMHO

SPOILER- TWO TWOERS

The journeys will suffer most. Esp the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli one. And Merry, Pippin and the Uruk-Hai will be condensed I reckon.
But did they say TT would be longer?

Originally posted by ray gower
I think the loss of Tom Bombadil and the adventures upto Bree is a great shame, but probably not a great loss to the overall film.

LOTR is not a simple novel- it is an epic of three 200K word volumes- Each volume is more than twice the size of an average novel. Something had to give. The fun comes in trimming the Two Towers. There is much less to lose.
yeah if they try and cut one or another part of that they will regret it cuz the story would not make much sense then.

When I first saw the film I was a little dissapointed by the addition of Lurtz, but as I saw it again I came to like his inclusion into the story. Still not entirely sure why.

The only thing I missed from the movie, apart from scenes that were cut, was the lack of songs. With the only one they included being the one that Bilbo and Gandalf both sang.

Here's Peter Jacksons thoughts on putting Bombadil in the movie:
"What we did contemplate," Jackson recalled, "and it was really for the fans, was to have the hobbits walking through the Old Forest and to see a feathered cap come darting through the trees, to hear the sound of Tom Bombadil's voice and son and then have the hobbits turn and run away as fast as they could!(he laughed) We thought (that)would acknowledge Tom Bombadil in an affectionate-joke kind of way. We didn't have time to do it."

The problem with Elven songs is that JRRT only hinted at feelings of what the Elves were actually singing about. Though I suspect they would have been closer to 'Ave Maria' or 'Ar Bydd a Heraeth' than the latest Boy-Z-one or whatever currently passes for music.

Bilbo's walking songs were, on the otherhand, fairly straight forward in construction and the refrain will could match any number of well known standard country tunes.

BUT wouldn't they be really great to hear? The one in Lorien sounded great:D

Another thing I regretted was the Legolas/Gimli relationship. They really didn't play much on it at all. Just a few more words i think and it would have highlighted it, if only slightly:(

The Gimli/Legolas thing does not really develop until Twin Towers. In fact, for all his popularity here, Legolas does/saids very little. It could be a primer for exclusion in the next part?

True but from Lothlorien.... when they get there.. to the boats.....
There was no real enmity or even a sense of not being that good friends at any point in FOTR. And so later doesnt have the same significance. But I agree. Not that he had a huge part in the books, either.

yeah they did have a close bond starting in lothorien they didn't really have before then. In the books anyway. Gimli's part was very low key in the movie. he did the axe seen and there wasn't a blindfolded problem to get to Lothorien or maybe his part would have been bigger. I mean in that first book the main part just before Lothorien could have been better.

So they really had no time to put in Bombadill? How dissapointing. Oh well at least they thought of it.

About the songs, they could have at least put in that song Frodo sang in Bree. You know the one with the cow jumping over the moon and a cat playing a fiddle ;) .

I really hope Gimli gets a bigger part in the next two movies, as he was one of my favourite ( he's in my top ten from the books :D ). Atleast he had some good parts in "The Mines of Moria".

i think all will be brillient...........all already is brillient! :D

Originally posted by Asmiley
Ah so you too have seen the excellent movie that is LOTR part one? Excellent isn't it? I'm going to see it for a third time this weekend.;)

HA! seen it 5 times :p :D

Originally posted by Shaun
I really hope Gimli gets a bigger part in the next two movies, as he was one of my favourite ( he's in my top ten from the books :D ). Atleast he had some good parts in "The Mines of Moria".
Having caught the BBC's radio version today, it reminded me how truncated the film was in Moria.
remmembering Moria was the spiritual home of the Dwarves. It was formative for the character of Gimli in the book and some pages were expended by him describing the fabulous sights that were the Halls of Moria

Back