ST: IX Insurrection

------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

Star Trek Insurrection:

While on a temporary assignment away from the Enterprise, Data malfunctions causing the Enterprise to come and investigate. They arrive to find that Starfleet and the Son'a have been secretly observing a planet. But for what purpose?

Full Synopsis

IMHO one of the best Trek movies

Re: ST: IX Insurrection

I enjoyed this film aswell as it's nice to see films about the 'Next Generation' crew

Best Bits

My best bits of the film:

The space battles between the Enterprise-E and the So'na, there were a lot of great lines in these scenes too. ("They're hailing us." "Tell them our transceiver assembly's down. We can receive hails but we can't respond." "I don't think they believe us." "Why?" {Bang} "Photon torpedo. Isn't that the universal greeting for when communications are down?" "I think it's the universal greeting when you don't like someone!" "Full impulse." "Manifolds can't handle full impulse in the patch, Commander!" "If we don't outrun them, the manifolds will be the only thing left on the ship!" "I'll be in engineering!"

Other good lines are:"Eject the core!" "I just did!" "It worked, Commander! The tear has been sealed!" "Yeah, but there's nothing to stop them from doing it again and we're fresh out of warp cores!" "We're through running from these bastards!"

Another good scene is the one where the Enterprise heads straight for the Son'a Mission Ship. One of the Son'a sees the Enterprise heading straight for them. He turns to Worf and says, "He wouldn't?!" and Worf replies calmly, "Yes, he would!"

I also like the scene where the Particle Collector is exploding and the Enterprise swoops in low over it. It's a really cool bit of FX!

Humour-wise, I like the scenes involving the crew getting younger such as Riker losing his beard ("Smooth as an androids bottom!"), Beverley and Troi getting *ahem* firmer ("Have you noticed how you boobs have started to firm up!" "Not that we care about such things in this day and age!") (It's also doubly funny how Data says the same to Worf!:D

Also, people keep picking on Worf: "I don't know how they do it on Deep Space Nine, but on the Enterprise we still report to duty on time.":D

Has to be said one of the better star trek films, have seen it about 4 or 5 times now. Still enjoy it.

Can't really pick out a fave scene as they are all as good as each other but I suppose the one that stays in my mind is when Admiral Doherty ends up in the skin stretching chair. Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!! LOL

annette :)

I know a lot of people thought this was a pretty soft film - a bit like a longer TNG episode - but I've always liked it watched again the other day. It has loads of good conflict stuff and tons of humour

Worf plays the deapan lines to the hilt, one of my faves is right at the end when the Sonar are on the other ship and they hail Enterpise - we see Worf in the command chair and he says the Sonar are willing to surrender, but it might have something to do with the fact they only have 2 minutes of air left !!!! LOL

Still think they should have let Jean Luc get a snog at the end tho !!!

Definitely one of the best. What I liked is the choice they made to just ram the Enterprise into the enemy's ship. You don't see that much in SF. Then of course the way Data runs down the hall - through the automatic force field that was keeping the inhabitants of the now fractured Enterprise alive - and out through space onto the other ship. I thought that was classic, and original. :D

Sorry Granfalloon, i think that was Star Trek Nemisis.

I got quite excited there. Shame, i thought that Insurrection was the best of the Next Generation Star Trek Films.

I'm sorry, First contact, whilst enjoyable, was not that great IMO. I thought the Borg Queen was exceptional, but i got the impression that they [the cast] were all just going though the motions with this. Insurrection was a much better film and it showed a nasty side of the Federation.

The borg have been wasted in everything they've appeared in since TNG's "I Borg".

I think I saw just about all of the Star Trek: The New Generation TV shows when they first came out (I've not seen them since then) and thought that I had seen the associated films as well. So when I saw Star Trek: Insurrection was showing on TV I watched it expecting a bit of nostalgic viewing. I was therefore surprised to realise that I hadn't seen it before.

Having said that, I still had my dose of nostalgia; the same old cast, all doing exactly what you expect them to. The plot is not only typical of the TV shows, it could actually have been lifted from the original Star Trek series. It lacks the darkness of First Contact, the previous film in the franchise, and there is a lack of tension throughout. It's undemanding OK viewing, but don't expect your adrenaline levels to rise.

On looking at Wiki's notes on the films I realised that I seem to have missed Nemesis as well – I'll have to watch out for that one being shown.

(An extract from my SFF blog: Science Fiction & Fantasy)

I've seen it several times, Anthony, and would have to agree. Maybe we're too conditioned from seeing the semi-formulaic episodes of both TV series, or maybe it's just that the Ba'ku are so sedate, erudite and...well...calm (even somewhat when being shot at, as shooting targets go) that it's difficult to perceive any real impending doom. Whatever the cause, Insurrection is watchable, and definitely more so when one likes the Next Generation series and characters to begin with. Want suspense? Definitely look elsewhere. ;)

Isn't this the one where they find the remains of a robot similar to Data, and Beverly Crusher acts both surprised and amazed that another Data could exist - even though Data's evil twin, Law, was a period antagonist running through The Next Generation series?

The TNG series of movies are largely forgettable in my opinion. Far too much focus on Data (much like a lot of the later tv series also).

Isn't this the one where they find the remains of a robot similar to Data, and Beverly Crusher acts both surprised and amazed that another Data could exist - even though Data's evil twin, Law, was a period antagonist running through The Next Generation series?

Not that one - in Insurrection Data goes rogue after being influenced by a particular form of radiation (IIRC) and has to be rebooted following repairs...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Book Search 2