Staff member
ST: VIII First Contact

------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

The Borg have launched another attempt to assimilate the Earth only this time they travel through time to do it. The Enterprise follows them back to the early 20th century where a small group are developing the first Warp Drive. The Enterprise must destroy the Borg and defend the past.

Full Synopsis

An all action movie, kirk type trek... But stil a great movie if you like battles scenes and a bit of trek history

i have to say that star trek first contact is (so-far) my all time favourite trek film. it has in my opinion the best bunch of bad guys ever to appear on trek, it has cochrane ,the creator of warp travel, and action with data becoming more human than ever and the true heart of the borg ,the queen, revealed.

This film is good & actually comes BEFORE the series 'Enterprise' as events that happen in the film are mentioned in the series, but on a whole I enjoyed the film & made me laugh a few times aswell

Best Film Yet

I love this film. It has everything. But most of all, it has a lot of cameos from a lot of familiar faces.

My favourite bits:

The space battle with the Defiant. Although incredibly brief, it was great to see the tough little ship ("LITTLE?!") make a movie appearance. Seeing it swooping around the Borg tractor beam still makes me smile today.

The aforementioned cameos. Seeing the EMH appear was a highlight of the film ("I'm a Doctor, not a doorstop!"). Having him stall the Borg by offering them treatment was brilliant!

Geordi's new eyes. Far cooler than the visor!

The new look Borg drones. Far cooler and scarier than the Next Gen Borg. I'm really glad they kept this look for Voyager. I especially liked the injection-tubules and seeing the effects they have on a crewmember.

Troi's drunk scene. Absolutely hilarious ("This is no time to be arguing about time! We don't have the time!" "I'm just trying to blend in!" "You're blended alright!")

Picard's seriously p****d speech with Lily resulting in him smashing up the display case of Enterprises.

i would list all of my favourite parts in ST FC but there are just so many parts that i enjoyed (everything) i even enjoy the theme tune at the beginning!!

Hard 4 me 2 choose a favourite part aswell as it's simply impossible 2 do :eek:

:blush:

The scene between Lily and Picard, in my opinion is one the best scenes ever in Trek, it just has some extreme raw emotion and such anger, and I have just watched it over and over again, because I'm always in awe over this small tough women standing up to picard and giving him a run for his money:

Lily: I am such an idiot. It's so simple. The Borg hurt you and now you going to hurt them back.
Picard: In my Century we don't succumb to revenge. We have a more enlightened sensibilty.
Lily: bullsh**! I saw the look on your face when you shot those Borg on the Holodeck. You were almost enjoying it.
Picard: How dare you!
Lily: Oh come on, Captain. Your not the first man to get a thrill from murdering someone! I see it all the time.
Picard: Get out!
Lily: Or what? You'll kill me? Like you killed Ensign Lynch?!
Picard: There was no way to save him..
Lily You didn't even try. Where was your "evolved sensibilty" then?!!

I've only seen this movie once, way back when it first hit theaters, but it's still fairly vivid in my mind. It hooked me from the opening credits sequence and opening shot, which were both very ethereal and ominous. Everything worked for me--characterization, special effects, music, story, etc. The appearance of the Vulcans was an especially pleasant surprise, as was Cochrane's touching story arc.

Better intro for a TNG feature film than Generations. Just hated how they made the Borg get a Queen and bring in some rather inappropriate sensuality to her.

Better intro for a TNG feature film than Generations. Just hated how they made the Borg get a Queen and bring in some rather inappropriate sensuality to her.

I had a couple of ticky-tack complaints, too, like the way they changed Cochran's home planet from Alpha Centari something to Earth and they change the year that he discovered warp drive. All in all a pretty good movie worthy of an even numbered title.

Ha except of course for the fact the even and odd numbers were discontinued in 1994 with Generations. Only the fans use them now,
and the only time the numbers are now included as part of the films'
titles are when their unofficial working titles are listed online and in other sources.

I dont buy that there was ever a curse anyway but its pointless now. There is a reason Paramount dropped the numbers.

Yeh it was very hard to get these movies made, especially in the early days. Read Star Trek Movie Memories by William Shatner and see what I mean!

I reviewed Star Trek: Insurrection here a couple of months ago, and was surprised that I hadn't seen it before. Well, on watching Star Trek: First Contact I thought that the same thing had happened again, since I remembered almost nothing about it.

First Contact has two key plot elements: time travel and the Borg. In the New Generation TV series, the Borg were the greatest threat, not just an implacable foe but one which put Captain Picard through the most stressful experience of his life. There is a peculiar horror about their ability to assimilate rather than kill their victims, turning the most loyal comrades into robotic enemies.

This time, the Borg use time travel to return to the Earth just before that critical first contact with the Vulcans which led to the opening up to humanity of the galactic civilisation. Their aim: to prevent that contact and reserve the whole planet for assimilation. However, the Enterprise, in hot pursuit, is dragged into the past as well, triggering a 21st Century battle for the future of humanity.

The story alternates between scenes on Earth, where first officer Riker is leading a team to try to ensure the success of the historic first warp flight which catches the Vulcans' attention, and the Enterprise, which the Borg are trying to take over. The contrast in setting and mood between the two scenarios adds enjoyment to the film; particularly the humour provided by the character of Zephram Cochrane (James Cromwell), the inventor and pilot of that first warp-capable craft. He is a decidedly reluctant hero and is horrified to learn that he is due to become one of the most famous people in history. Meanwhile, Picard and Data come face to face with the leader of the Borg, played by Alice Krige, who delivers a bizarrely seductive performance despite her repulsive make-up. It was, in fact, Krige's performance which was the only element of this film that I recalled.

All of the usual suspects appear in the cast but most of the Star Trek regulars have relatively little to do: Picard very much takes centre stage in one of Patrick Stewart's strongest appearances in the role, aided by Data who is tempted by the Borg leader.

The mixture of darkness and humour makes this one of the best films of the franchise, in my view, and in a different league from the weak Insurrection that followed it. I have yet to see Nemesis, the last of the NG films (at least, I think so!) and, though the comments I've read are not encouraging, I might as well complete the set.

(An extract from my SFF blog: http://sciencefictionfantasy.blogspot.co.uk/)

Overall, it's a pretty good film. I loved the wasy they ramped up the Borg.:)

Nice review. I didn't rate this movie at all. In fact, I thought all of the NG movies lacked something. A shame, as the TV series was superb.

My favourite of all the Trek films to date! Good action, genuine tension as the ship is overrun by the Borg.. and the whole drunk Zephram Cochrane thing which was well um, yeah, comic relief I guess. Can't see the Vulcan's sticking around too long after meeting him :)

It's a good Star Trek film, the only one with a TNG cast that's good (Generations is ok).

Not a patch on Wrath of Khan, though.