1.09: Hero

Annette

This is Star - my honey!!
Hero - Episode 9

Creating new thread. Only episode discussion please. :D

"Doyle is presented with an apportunity for anonement when a band of frightened refugees seek his help"

annette :)

It was a sad episode in which Doyle had to die or chose to die to rescue his friends. What a man!!!!!!!!!!

I wish we knew the reason why Joss chose Doyle to die. He is sadly missed in Angel. Would prefer him to be there instead of Gunn but then Cordy wouldn't have the visions that Doyle 'passed' on to her before his valint death. :crying:

annette :(

yeah - i was wondering why Doyle was chosen to die - or, why it was decided to 'kill off' one of the characters --

i liked the episode tho -- (it's been a while since i've watched it) -

well my stock answer is that Joss wanted to have a character in the early days of Buffy who he could kill off (jesse) but couldn't afford to put him in the credits etc then, and do it the way he wanted to, so he got his chance second time around with Doyle...

Xnader's mate in the first episode who got turned into a vamp as bait for the rest of the newly formed scooby gang...

Fancy forgetting about Xander's best mate, it's not as though Xander forgot about him straight away or anything ;)

Thanks for that Markpud. Had forgotten about him.

Still think it was wrong of Doyle to die. :crying:

annette :(

I wont forget Doyles sacrifice very easily, even though he wasn't on the show for very long. His death was a good way to go, finally giving him atonement like the oracles said. It was really funny when he was doing the commercial and saying "Our rats are low" and a nice touch having Cordy and Angel watch it again at the end.

Originally posted by pamie
Yeah its a great Doyle episode....I cried! LOL :rolleyes:
lol you weren't the only one, i still blubber when i watch this ep, i just bought the eps on dvd and it's just so sad :( he was only in it for 9 episodes but look at the impact his made on the characters lives with the visions and forcing Angel to get more involved with the people he's trying to save and such.

xxx

It was clearly part of "the plan" when you look at how Cordelia in particular has changed as a result of events in this episode...

lol yeah, who woulda envisioned Cordy like she is now? Well, except Joss W but you know what i mean :)

Sometimes i think of this episode as "proper" the start of Angel, not to take anything away from Doyle at all, i loved the guy, but his actions in just this one ep changed the entire course of the show and it's characters, particularly Cordelia like you said. Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

xxx

It's amazing how attached you can get to a character in just 9 episodes. What I like is that his character did have an impact. They gave him a lot of depth in the last few episodes especially considering how short a time he was around. You liked him, you cared about him, you rooted for him. And in the end although you cried and wished he could come back. You were happy that he had become the hero that he always saw in Angel. That he had attoned for whatever mistakes he had made. He was a good character and he made the world a better place.

I've been watching the first season of Angel - got the DVD box set as a pressie - hurrah

I hadn't seen all the first season before although I had seen Hero - but watching it now, having become so attached to Doyle over the last 9 eps its a real moment at the end when he sacrifces himself - but the kicker is that last reel - the awkward Doyle doing the video ad for Angel agency - its a real tear jerking moment anyway, made more so now that Glenn Quinn is no longer with us - very sad

Very good episode, and I, too, was sad to see Doyle die. But at least he went out a hero (hence the episode title), and he even made time to pass his visions onto Cordy. And I thought that the Nazi analogy was done pretty well, too.