Variable David Gemmell

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I used to have a habit of goinging to my local Waterstones, and reading the first sentence and paragraph of various sff works.

It was actually an exercise in snottiness - I would laugh at lots of the feeble openings, the cliches, and general bad writing, while mentally lauding my own work in comparison.

I don't do that anymore - namely, because although I still believe the opening sentence has paramount importance in any book, I have a better perspective on my own writing.

Anyway - point being, David Gemmell has, in my mind, the accolade of best and worst opening in the sff books I looked at.

The worst was a book I don't remember the title of - it was set in Ancient Greece, I believe. It was basically a set of rather mediocre prose, settled about with what are obviously researcher notes. It gets an accolade for "worst opening" because of the completely artificial nature of the prose, which ran something like this:

The boy ran along the road, grey dust thrown up by his sandals. The street was called Victory Way. Two boys chased after him, hurling abuse from their tongues. They were wearing togas. The chased boy clambered desperately onto a statue, out of the way of the other boys. It was a statue of Athena. "Come down from that statue of Athena!" yelled a tormentor.

Not great.

The best was - I think - from "Midnight Falcon". It's a powerful opening paragraph of complex guilt and joy about a dead sibling. I won't try to imitate the work - suffice to say, it was a very powerful paragraph, and an excellent start to any novel, because it immediately drew the reader into an emotional character experience.

Legend has to have the funniest opening paragraph/page. Gemmell describes Snaga (the axe of Druss) in far too much detail. Excellent though.

The first paragraph or chapter is a nightmare to write.

I often read the first paragraph of a book before I buy it. I think it says a lot about the author. If he/she can start the novel then they more than likely will not be able to finish one.

I have to admit, he's not the greatest writer in the world. I enjoy is plots, charactors and themes more then his actual writing.

However, me and my friend (who spent years trying her hardest to get me into Gemmel's books) now constantly refer to 'rutting' everywhere we can. It usually refers to bouts of giggling afterwards, but we think it's funny.

Well all I have to say is that that recently I've read one of his latest novels 'White Wolf' and in my opinion its one of the best Fanasty books I've read,(well it worked for me cuz I've read his previouse works from drenai tales, thats why following the story and characters was great) therefore I find Gemmell one of the best Fantasy writers in the world! I love his plots and characters, twists and mixes, writing is not superb but its the style I like and enjoy and have no problem with! All I have to say; is that his Great!;)

But yeah, opening pharagraphs are nightmare to start as I would guess. I'm not a writer (hehe don't have any talent for it) but I do find it important as I, Brian said, that the opening lines need to be good to draw the reader into the book.:) Doesn't always work for Gemmell but ohh well.

Quite often I put down or take home a book based on the strength of the opening so it is definitely an important part of a novel for me. If I'm interested enough to open a book to see how it begins, then I usually will be taking it home with me. However, several times I've been horrified by the first paragraph or two and put the book right back on the shelf. That beginning is just as important, to me, as the storyline itself in determining whether I'll read the rest.

So, future authors take note! :D I have spoken! :p

IMO one of the better Gemmel openings was in Sword in the Storm. I'd randomly picked it off the shelf, and had never heard of him before, but after about 30 seconds I found a chair and spent the next several hours reading. While not all of his books were this enthralling at the start, he definitly has his moments. I have to agree with clareabella however that it is more his characters and concepts that draw me in as oppose to the actual writing.

The best gemmel book in my opinion is Waylander. I love the opening because it sets up the characters so beautifully and lets us know who exactly we are dealing with (or so we think). The way I chose a book is I start it somewhere in the middle of the book and read a page. If I want to read more I pick up the book. Another one of my favorites is when I am unsure about about an author is to go to my local used bookstore and grab a copy of their work so that way if I am disapointed I am only out of 25 cents.

I said:
The worst was a book I don't remember the title of - it was set in Ancient Greece, I believe. It was basically a set of rather mediocre prose, settled about with what are obviously researcher notes. It gets an accolade for "worst opening" because of the completely artificial nature of the prose, which ran something like this:

The boy ran along the road, grey dust thrown up by his sandals. The street was called Victory Way. Two boys chased after him, hurling abuse from their tongues. They were wearing togas. The chased boy clambered desperately onto a statue, out of the way of the other boys. It was a statue of Athena. "Come down from that statue of Athena!" yelled a tormentor.

Not great.

That was from the Lion of Macedon! A book I actually quite enjoyed (but I am a sucker for Ancient Greece and ancient civilisation settings anyway:))
Very cliched though, I agree.

Can't say I've ever turned down a book because of it's opening paragraph. To me, that's the settling in & getting accustomed to the world and I can't remember a book that grabbed me from the first opening. I suppose, if I had to pick one, I'd say Magician by Raymond E Feist as I really enjoyed the start of that one. It gave me a real "feel" and tone for the novel which got me hooked early (especially as that was the first Raymond E Feist book I had read)

Anyway, best Gemmell book for me is Wolf in Shadow :)

Winters_Sorrow said:
. I suppose, if I had to pick one, I'd say Magician by Raymond E Feist as I really enjoyed the start of that one. It gave me a real "feel" and tone for the novel which got me hooked early (especially as that was the first Raymond E Feist book I had read)

Definitly. Magician was an awesome book from start to finish, I had pretty much the exact same experience you did. The only author I can think of that drew me in more than that would be JV Jones, I stayed up all night reading the first 2 volumes of The Book of Words.

When I began reading sff, I made the dicision to give any book 2 chapters to pick up, and stay up. David Gemmell is perfect for me, because something big always happens within that frame of time. other authors, like David Drake or Deborah Chester, may require a full 2 chapters of patience, but I don't think that a page is enough to get insight into a 500+ page novel.

Hi cicbeast, and welcome to the chronicles network. :)

And you're right - it's not enough to judge the overall content of a book. Interesting as a means of testing first sentences is about as far as can go with it. :)

as a young reader i have been reading so many books since the age of ten. i was insisted by my brothers i use to reads a lot of fantasy books and since then i have been hooked on it since.

yes you guys do have a point on the opening on some of DG's books some sound so boring its makes me wanna but the book away but once you read u cant stop.

Some of his later novels seems to be increasing in the momemtum i dont know i u guys no wot im talking about but it beging to have much more impact so all in all i give my thumbs ive read well most of his books i think he great but to a certain limit.

Bodz said:
as a young reader i have been reading so many books since the age of ten. i was insisted by my brothers i use to reads a lot of fantasy books and since then i have been hooked on it since.

yes you guys do have a point on the opening on some of DG's books some sound so boring its makes me wanna but the book away but once you read u cant stop.

Some of his later novels seems to be increasing in the momemtum i dont know i u guys no wot im talking about but it beging to have much more impact so all in all i give my thumbs ive read well most of his books i think he great but to a certain limit.
its up you guys what u think after all!